The Doors of Eden : Warp Shell-adjacent story

inspiration

I have been reading The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky and one of the story interludes sounds like a fun tie-in to the Warp Shell universe. The book is a sci fi setting with multiple universes all containing the planet earth on which various life forms evolve to dominance. In each world a different creature has intellectual dominance for example apes evolved in our earth into people, but an adjacent world contains mice or velociraptors as an intelligent, technology-wielding species. The barriers between these worlds is crumbling and the cast of heroes must work to prevent this throughout the story.

Between chapters, the author introduces different worlds briefly and describes their evolution, and eventual success or downfall as a species. One such interlude describes a species of arthropod which evolves enough to take an active role in their own evolution and eventually reach for the stars by evolving themselves to be directly space-fairing creatures. I thought it was such a cool story and I wondered if anyone else saw any ICRPG overlap.

Really the only overlap is space-fairing arthropods, and a penchant for crossing universes. The crossover in the story feels very much like an RPG where the party feels like a bit of a mash-up as each PC brings a bit of a different feel from each player,

If you have the right group of people you can use ICRPG to play anything.
Fast and sleek Cyberpunk? @Alex wrote Altered State.
Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland? Look no further than @JDH The Waste Is Not Kind
Delta Green Eldritch FBI Action? Try Black Light by @Shadymutha.
If you like pirates and ship combat World of Aurora is what your looking for.
Numenéra for ICRPG? Can be done.
JRPG-style play? Piece of cake.
Index Card Wrestling Game? Somebody’s working on that.
Darkest Dungeon-inspired dungeoncrawl or Darkest Dungeon-classes? It’s cool.

All this goes to show you can absolutely tie-in The Doors of Eden into Warp Shell. :slight_smile:

That’s a great list. If I may, I’d like to mention @Ezzerharden, who’s got an amazing world primer collection that serves as inspiration for us all.

Continuing the idea, you could use ICRPG to play a sports-themed game (specifically basketball); a campaign inspired by 80s martial arts movies, fly around in WWII airplanes, or even play a campaign only with undead.

There are a LOT of ideas that can fit one single page.

One of the GM truths I’ve discovered is to go with what excites you. Attitude is contagious - if you’re excited about a concept, quest, setting, NPC, etc. That excitement will be felt & shared by the players.

One of the neat benefits of using a book as your inspiration is that you’re imagination has spent a lot of time ‘living’ in that world. This helps you sooooo much in running the game at the table.

TL:DR - Go for it & let us know how it plays out!