Target and Timer Dials - work in progress

craft

I find that I often forget to manage the timer(s) during my games, as I get wrapped up in other GM tasks. As such, I decided I needed something bigger – more front-and-center – to remind me to decrement the timer. And I wanted this to be visible and obvious to the players, too, to remind them that Things Will Happen!

I’ve also found that a simple die on the table showing the Target Number is insufficient. The target cards shared here previously were really close to what I wanted, but ended up being more clutter on my table during the game.

I created this draft set of dials to try to present timer and targets in a very visible, and easy to manage, way:

Player side:

GM side:

This is very much a work in progress! I’ve taught myself a fair bit about Affinity Photo on my iPad. I’m still struggling with the construction, as I’m not sure how best to secure the dials to the board. I’ve got some more things to try, but the simple thumbtack in these photos is enough to get started.

Here’s a PDF if you want to make these for yourself!

I’d love to assistance on making the player-facing side of this more interesting. I tried to arrange some of the official ICRPG art into a collage, but it just didn’t look appealing enough!

Game on!

My first "Last Flight of the Red Sword"

Those are super fun!

Dude!!! this is awesome. i really love it. if you use a GM screen i could see this being a really handy addition to it. it would be a lot of fun to doodle campaign themed things onto it to integrate it with your table. really cool stuff!

Haha, very nice! Great idea.

These are excellent!

Wow, fantastic work. For the kids games I use a D6 for the timer, so I may have to work on a modified version. You have inspired me, thanks heaps for sharing.

@skippy I think with a little bit of work you should be able to do two additional windows on the room target to display the actual modified easy and hard target numbers .

they would be smaller, but i think thats ok, because most people can internalize them anyway.

I had thought about this, yes. It’s probably something I’ll try to add for version 2 or 3. I wanted to get some practical experience printing and building something basically functional before I try more advanced stuff!

Looks really nice!
I would need more than one timer like this, because it happens, that there is more that one d4 pointing something on the table. But this does the job! There is something when you see how this scrolls down bringing players closer to the final moment.

I love the fact you have the domain skippy.net