My first "Last Flight of the Red Sword"

session-report

I invited a few coworkers to join me yesterday for a run through “Last Flight of the Red Sword”. This was my first time running the game, and their first time playing with ICRPG rules. One was a long-time Pathfinder junkie, and no stranger to TTRPGs; the other was just dipping their toes into the gaming scene. Both were super patient with me as a GM, and enthusiastic as players.

I had hoped a third player would show up, but he never did. Since I only had two players, I allowed them each to choose two characters. This worked out really well.

The Setup

I gave a brief summary of the rules and mechanics. I missed a few things, which came up later during play organically. Both players were attentive, patient, and forgiving! This helped me a lot.

I used the characters from Heroes of the Hammer, and allowed both players to pick two. I should have spent some time at the beginning gong over their characters, and interactively exploring their starting loot. I also should have better familiarized myself with their starting loot before the game started, so that I could better tune encounters. Next time I’ll be better prepared!

I need to provide some info on the weapons and spells of these characters so folks know what they have to work with. I also need to remember to more fully explain EFFORT bonuses, as the Heroes characters have some substantial bonuses that aren’t immediately obvious. One person was playing Cinder, and using weapons despite her insane Magic EFFORT bonus.

The same player also played Forge 4, who was un-hittable given his AC. Hilariously, he failed almost every DEX check and took way more falling down damage than combat damage. I need to remember to build real threats to all the characters the next time, despite any high AC they may have.

I found it hard to find a plausible reason for the party to bother boarding the Red Sword! I begged their indulgence in assuming a narrative reason for them to board, rather than just high-tail it out of there. This caused a little friction at a couple points, but both players were troopers and worked with me to keep things moving. I definitely need a good, satisfying plot hook to get the party onto the Red Sword!

The Game

Both players found the mechanics immediately friendly and useful. Table-based turn order, timers, and target numbers were grasped quickly. Finding loot was eagerly embraced. Both players remarked how easy it was for them to get into the thick of things with no prior experience.

Using advice from the Discord channel, I rolled frequently for the occurrence and quantity of mutant Reptoids. This worked well at the start, but I really should have better familiarized myself with the characters: the first three encounters were no real threat to the players! They didn’t fully understand this until the third encounter, when they realized they’d taken no meaningful damage.

It was also at this point that I remembered that I’d forgotten to give them the Gift of the Warp Shell starting bonus! It didn’t make much difference to the outcome, in the long run; but it’s something I need to remember for next time.

The players were scared of, and threatened by, Gargantua, but Forge 4 dropped it to under 1/2 HP in one shot with his chem-rail. It was a foregone conclusion to all of us that they would defeat this thing, which took some of the edge off. I did not complicate things by adding more Reptoids, which is definitely something I’ll need to do the next time I run this!

Once they discovered the major clues (ship was a bomb, aimed at star, star was evil), they were all in for finishing the task. They were eager to find the final bits of information in Engineering, and didn’t balk at needing to manually overload the engines. The Session End die was a 2, which gave a tremendously fun and energetic climax. They worked together to jump into the void of space just as the Red Sword’s thrusters kicked in, and there was much celebration.

Conclusion

This was a super fun game to run! It had very clear start, middle and end points which the players picked up naturally. The Reptoid threat wasn’t quite sufficient to really tax the characters, so next time I’ll need to really work this better. I kept the Target Number at 10 through most of the game, because I didn’t know how hard to push the players. Next time I’ll need to remember to crank this up at least once or twice to complicate things.

The timer of the evil shock waves was super effective at discombobulating the characters. They did a great job of watching the decreasing timer as players but not letting that change their characters’ actions. There was a lot of falling down, which was actually hysterically funny at the table.

We all had a lot of fun. We all learned a lot. The players learned how insanely fun ICRPG is. I learned how much more I need to prep for a really good session!

I’m planning to run Red Sword a few more time for victims volunteers to get even more practice in before Origins Game Fair. If you’re planning to attend, please let me know - I’d love to meet you!

I’ve give myself a solid B for GMing, and the players definitely get As!

Great report! Kudos for just starting.

I’ve resolved as a GM to accept that no plan will survive the contact with the players. Heh Sometimes best laid plans get wrecked. And that’s fine if the players have fun. Especially when bringing new people to the game itself if not the hobby.

Great report and great prep as far as terrain and GM screen!!! The rest of it was providing the players enough of a challenge…that is tunable and variable depending on the roll of the dice.

Only advice is don’t over compensate. Allow for greater risk, and/or ease depending on resources expended at certain points. You won’t always have very competent players working well together, and rolling well.

Great Report, Would you mind sharing the template for the Counter and Target. This looks awsome. and i would like to do something similar.

cheers Colin

Yes, this is 100% true! I’m generally okay with improvising things; in this instance I simply wasn’t sufficiently informed about the characters’ stats and loot to properly threaten them. It all worked out here; and it’s gone on my pre-flight checklist for the next time I run this!

Yes, this is where I didn’t do as well as I could have, given my own lack of familiarity with the Heroes character sheets. Definitely something easy to remedy for the next time!

@draugster I shared my template here. I ended up using these plastic screws to affix the wheels to the board. If you want the latest iteration of my template let me know - I can post it (I forget what tweaks I’ve made since I posted the original photos!).

Awesome report!
I like that both you and your players enjoyed the experience.

More important than that, you were quite observant of the game and yourself. It seems you learned all the right lessons from your first run.

Except this one:

This is true in the beginning, until you grap all of the mechanics and their implications but you will see that with a little bit of experience, you will be able to create fun and exciting stuff without much prep. It will come naturally and you will know what TN, how many enemies, what kind of difficulties and anything else. Just don’t fall into the trap of overprepping.

I give you two thumbs up!

For me the warpshell was the reason to board the red sword. The characters are well aware that the warpshell only pops up in places where they are needed.

So when the warpshell suddenly appears next to this ship and with weird energy fluctuations and starts docking, The characters knew that they had to board the ship and find out what the heck was going on.

Thanks very much for the share