Putting Out the Feelers For Running an Adventure Series

question

Hello folks!

I wanted to run an idea by you that I have been thinking of for an adventure series to see how much interest there might be before I commit. I need to get my chops up for running ICRPG to get familiar with the system as a DM. Where I am not new to running games I am new to ICRPG and Roll20 so I need some practice. So here’s the concept that I will call the 3 Point Adventure series (or something similar):

• 3 Heros
  • 3 Rooms (spaces, scenes, etc.)
  • 3 Hours (there may be a game timer where something drastic happens at the 3 hour mark)

So the idea is to run quick one-shot adventures with 3 players, 3 rooms, in 3 hours on a regular basis every three weeks or so on Sundays at 7:00-7:30 (eastern time - Detroit). I think this would be great for new players who would want to gain experience with the game but could be perfectly fine with any level of player. I would use the core book only but may have some slight tweaks for character creation. Returning players could reuse their characters granted they survived the previous adventure.

So, what do you think? Any interest in something like this?

Definitely. You have my axe.

Dude, I am SO down for this! Count me in! Also, I would be happy to game with a fellow Detroiter! I’m living in Colorado now, but I’m motor city born and raised!

You might want 4~5 rooms unless you are adding scenes and counting it differently. With 3 players you can go through turns pretty quickly. ICRPG can be simple and fast.

A ton of spells, feats, maneuvers, looking for templates, looking at the rules are minimized.

Not saying that the player debating between three spells and asking everybody’s input, isn’t going to slow things down dramatically, but for the most part ICRPG is faster than most games.

Oh, ya, I’m interested.

Three players is a serious sweet spot in terms of round length and player engagement. Great idea.

I’m in. Played my First last night And officially hooked

Yeah, it is nice to run with a small cadre of players. but sometimes big groups can be fun. im bout to run 6 deep on my new sidescroller game, i just cant say no to enthusiastic players

Would love to join in … Sounds fun!

I’d be interested…

Excellent…EXCELLENT! I will begin preparations for the first Adventure!

How much advanced notice would you folks prefer between posting and the actual game date? Would one week be enough?

Also, I just thought of this, if we have more than three who show interest in the time of the posting how would you like me to handle it to keep things fair? First come first serve and then backup slots? I’m not sure how other DM’s have handled this.

No sh_t! That’s awesome man! Yeah, I grew up in Royal Oak and lived in Detroit when I went to school at Wayne State. I’m jealous of your Colorado living!

Thanks man, CO has treated me well so far, ive been here for a little over 2 years now, and only wanna go home for visits. I grew up in Garden City, its like 10~15 minutes west of Detroit, bout half way between there and Ann Arbor, not a bad location for going to see cool stuff. It’s good to know the art and RPG scene is still live and well down there!

Thanks for the heads up on this, I will keep this in consideration when prepping. The concept of rooms for me is a bit abstract, I’m looking at them more as scenes or sections of the adventure, though the sections may be contained in one physical room.

Yeah, I did some work out in Garden City for a time so I know it a little. I live to in Milford now but lived in Southfield for 5 years before that.

Finding an in person RPG group out in Milford has been a challenge, I’m happy to be here with the shield wall so I can get my RPG happiness online at least!

Based on your stated goal, “new players “ and the infrequency,…
Players who have not played with you before, and 3 ~ 5. (I’m fascinated with 3 players though)

Honor system for those who have played icrpg less than 10 times…(still includes me, but if 5 it excludes me) however you could ignore this the first few games.

Getting some of the frequent players to give you feedback might be valuable. But setting up a secondary game for that occasion is always possible.

And I would put the dates out 2 or 3 weeks in advance, messages with details a week prior, a day prior and just prior to verify availability, interest and everything you can think of as needed at the time.

If you have more than 3 people interested in a specific date and I’m one of them, I’m more than happy to give up my spot so someone else can have a chance to play.

Side scroller, I want to know more!

Well, basically what happened was that I played in @JDStirling’s super Mario hack for ICRPG Looking For Group! FULL and it was so fun and crazy that I decided I wanted to play more games side scroller style. (The link to the Mario rules can be found in the post above if you’re interested)

But when I looked for assets to make said games I couldn’t really find any, so I took it upon myself to make some. A few examples of my work can be found here Inktober greetings! One vtt asset per day, though these are mostly character tokens since they are the most exciting thing to look at for an art challenge.

My inaugural game will be next Saturday with a fine group of lumpy heads. If all goes well I will try to release the assets for folks to download. If they want more, then I might start up a Patreon or release them on DTRPG or something to release more content.

If you are interested in playing in a game to try out the perspective shift first hand, I should be posting something in the forums shortly following this adventure to set up the next one.

I’m definitely up for getting more experience as a player and would love to join some games