Play by post anyone?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

DEF 18+4=22

Hykon will take Muel’s offer and join him behind his shield as they advance on the Orcs and draw his sword with the intent of attacking the nearest Orc when within range.

STR 6+1=7… EFFORT 3+1=4 (not that it matters, ugh)

[You can ask Google to “roll” any dice, just type it in the search bar. They were just taking screenshots of the results. Smittumi trusts us to not cheat ourselves by fudging dice rolls, so I don’t think it’s currently necessary.]

Furlan runs over and successfully cuts the harness away from the horse, who gallops off. Scared but safe, she stops several dozen feet away from the ambush site.

Muel cannot tell for sure where the next orc volley was poised to strike, but no matter; he and Hykon charge up the bank and engage the fang. With his long spear Muel is able to thrust into the group, despite their height advantage, and immediately cuts down two of the wretched creatures. It seems these particular orcs are of weaker stock. Hykon is not so fortunate; between the higher position of the enemy and a brief hesitation he isn’t able to land a killing blow on the last orc.

Meanwhile, with careful observation, Mehrfin’s spell manifests a large, perfectly timed spike on the ground. It shoots up into the underside of the wagon and holds it in place. He feels the arcane energy being pulled by the weight of the cart, but it holds… for now. That timer is paused for one round.

Muel and Hykon must each pass a Defence check or suffer 1 damage from a nasty dagger the final orc pulls from his belt. He’s outnumbered, but has nowhere to run and is fighting for his life. As they’re stood together Hykon benefits from Muel’s passive defensive ability.

What do you do?

[One thing I should add which I really should have mentioned before - I prefer to use a mix of randomness and in-world logic to build content for games, so please don’t expect balance or fair fights]

•(Muel rolls an 18+7 for his DEF against the orc)
•He tries to appear menacing as he thumps his tabard, a Lightkeeper BATTLE STANDARD [1 ally per round, next roll is EASY] (Muel rolls a 13+2 for CHA to intimidate the orc into possibly fleeing)
•Muel wants to disengage and lend his hand to saving the wagon laden with supplies for Durhadda Keep. (He thinks the orc threat is neutralized and the wagon is now priority #1.)
“The Gar! It’s Ealish!”
•As a free action I think Muel would try to use his basic perception of the scene to try to figure out where the driver of the wagon went? Another 18+0 INT.
“What in the Infernal…?”

Question, do I need to roll for every little action I do?

Continuing the discussion from Play by post anyone?:

[I think of it like “I only roll the dice when I’m not sure of the outcome.” I tell Smittumi how I’d *like* the scene to change, and how I’m trying to make that happen, but ultimately it’s up to the dice, my relevant modifier, and the DM’s good graces to see if it fails or succeeds. I might be completely off base though]

Hykon DEF roll 1+4=5… Acknowledge 1 damage

If the final Orc isn’t intimidated by Muel and does not run off then Hykon will attack again with his sword. STR 13+1=14… DAM 3+1=4

If the Orc is intimidated by Muel and does indeed run off Hykon will turn his attention to the wagon. He will turn tail and run back toward the wagon to lend a hand.

Mehrfin sees that the situation is still precarious with the load. Physical labor is not this Torton’s strong suit, but he figures with everyone else attempting to protect the group from the raiders, the best thing he could do would be to try to save their stuff before the wagon tumbles off the cliff.

Def 1d20+6 = 12 (not dying from arrows)
Dex 1d20+1 = 14 (Getting his shelled butt up into the wagon)
Str 1d20+0 = 14 (Actually moving items out of the wagon)

[Per LordFurlan’s question, my two cents is that I will likely roll each time, but the GM in my opinion knows the world, and ultimately my character far better than I do. Despite what the dice say, if he says “yeah, that ain’t going to happen,” I will accept it as doctrine. :slight_smile:]

DEX roll for run back to wagon if needed…17+1=18

Slowly approach the horse and examine the ambush site as to why she stopped there (and not continue to run off)
Approaching horse: CHA 15+1
Examining the ambush site: WIS 3+1

Yeah, its gonna take me a minute to get used to this PbP style. Still not sure how much and what I can or need to do each post, etc. I’ll get it worked out though. Bare with me…

Yeah, I just realized that by posting all at once I stepped on some toes in the fiction, possibly. We can also go back and edit our posts all through tomorrow, too! Is this a good space for planning? I’m still trying to work through how this thread system works. I’m used to discord/Reddit. If there’s a cleaner way to post lmk for sure!

I thought we were doing something akin to simultaneous action, with a small amount of freeform to reward those who post first.

Not only is this my first PbP game it’s also my first ICRPG game period. So I’m learning as we go. And am open to any tips, suggestions, pointers, and advice. We’ll get it figured out.

I’m in the same situation as GaryD20.

Since Hykon and Muel are in the same smaller “scene” together, we could read both our posts as first drafts before “submitting” them. Same goes to the larger scene as a whole, most likely! Also, Hykon gets to use my +7 DEF stat and can use the BATTLE STANDARD to make his roll EASY. Maybe we just sketch out what we want, then go back and edit with rolls and checks after everything is decided? Obviously we can all respond first with any saving throws that GM requests and then proceed from there?

Or we could just roll initiative when we roll our checks for the day. We do kind of have to work on assumptions at some point, but that’s where Smittumi gets to have their fun!
Also: I do reference the updated quick start/players guide pdf pretty much every post BTW, just to stay fresh on the rules. It’s free at drivethrurpg. I recommend it, and I’ve read the shit out of the 2e books, but it’s organized waaay better and it has lore and stuff.
Oh, don’t forget all the loot you have! I know I have Climbing Gear with some ROPE and PITONS… Plus we might have a horse on our side now!
I gotta go to bed, it’s 10pm here… This is a lot of fun so far.

Oh, thats right. I forgot about the +7 and the Battle Standard when I did my last turn. Wouldn’t effect my last attack roll but it would change my DEF from 1+4=5 to 5+7=12 I think.

Updated DEF… 1+4=5 0r 1+4+7=12 (with Muel’s DEF stat If I’m still covered by it)