Play by post anyone?

Do we need to exchange emails?

I don’t think so, no. Unless you have something you want to ask or say privately.

I’ve never played by post before, so I didn’t know how this worked. Will everything be posted on here?

Yeah.

Basically, I’ll post giving you guys the situation (location, chosen goal, obstacle, target number, time to act, timer, other features)

You each post one turn, in any order; telling me a) your intented outcome, b) your action, and c) your Attempt score totals (d20+stat and Effort score)

Then I post narrating the outcomes, monster actions, damage you take etc.

After any action scene is resolved I’ll post to give you a choice of what to do next; A, B, C or something I’ve not listed.

You guys agree (however you wanna do that, by vote, consensus or having a leader PC decide) what to do next and I’ll post the next Action scene.

Round and round we go until the adventure reaches a good stopping point!

I want to play, but I only have the 2eCore, Worlds, and Magic book! Is character creation different in ICRPG-ME? How/what is Defense? Fuhhhh… I really want to play!

I just looked up defense score, I got it now!

Some changes but honestly just make a 2e character!

I’ll post some additional guidance to help us play-by-post, and the first scene tomorrow. If you make a character soon you’ll be in time to join in!

Name: Muel Duran
Class: Warrior>>Defender
Life Form: Dwarven
Path: Iron (of course!)
Motivation/Story: (Service) From a family line of Lighthouse Keepers, he’s out to build a name for himself as worthy of the title of Keeper
Defense: +7
Turns: Every other day works well for me!
Question: why here and not Discord (Just wondering)
Also: Are we going full TotM or are we going to use Owlbear Rodeo or…?
Edit: VTT is not PBP, I’m a bit tired ha

Name: Mehrfin
Lifeform: Torton
Type: Mage
Motivation: Stargazer (Even his parents didn’t understand his fascination with magical tech, but each time he uses it or learns something new, he feels he is closer to understanding better where his kind came from and how they got there)
Defense: +6

Every two days works for me too.

Looks like we have a very eclectic group.

Yep. Should be interesting.

So I don’t have the Master Edition yet but I’ve read thru the updated quick start and made a proper (updated) character now. I’m also just reading that there is a bit of assumed lore now! How exciting! I’m going to read what is there and probably get the PDF later.

I’ve never done much with the lore for Alfheim, so this will be a good chance for me to learn that too.

Smittumi … I assume we are using Alfheim as a backdrop? I’d be just as happy with a different world that just borrows the life forms and types. I look forward to tomorrow’s intro. Thanks.

Ok, here are a few notes for how the game will run. I’ve numbered them for ease of future reference. If any of it doesn’t make sense, or if you can see I’ve made a mistake please let me know.

1. I’ll post describing the scene and situation. You guys can then post your own turns, in any order. So, if I post Monday you guys have all of Tuesday to post, then I’ll post Wednesday, etc.

2. We’ll play until the story reaches some kind of conclusion.

3. Generally, I’ll post one of two types of scene; Adventure scenes or Cross-roads scenes.

4. Adventure scenes will have a location, goal(s), obstacle(s), etc. I’ll also say whether any of you need to make Defence rolls.

5. In response to an Adventure scene you guys can post your turn;
    A) post your d20 scores for any Saves I’ve asked you to make.
    B) if you also want more info on anything in the scene you can (as a free action); tell me what you want to know about, how you try to find out, and your WIS (and effort) attempt.
    C) as your Main Action you tell me what outcome you want, what action you take to get it, and your Attempt roll (just choose the most logical Stat to roll for the action).

+++

PC turn example 1 (in a pitched battle where you only have moments):

DEF roll 9 – Miss - Kelwyn ducks and dives, barely surviving the volley of arrows that fly around him (suffering 4 damage).

Kelwyn pauses and takes a moment to listen, trying to hear out for the distant hooves of the promised cavalry – WIS roll 12, Effort 2

With a roar Kelwyn charges the Orc phalanx swinging wildly, intending to hurt them enough to draw their attention away from his injured friend – STR roll 15, Effort 6

PC turn example 2 (in the dwarven king’s feasting hall where you have an hour or so):

CON roll 13 – Hit – Despite several strong dwarven ale’s Kelwyn manages to keep his composure

Kelwyn joins a conversation with Captain Iago, watching the man to see how he reacts to Lady Morgrave – WIS roll 18, Effort 3

Kelwyn makes his way to the king’s table and offers a toast to his ancestors, trying to get the king to like the PCs – CHA roll 2, Effort 4

+++

1. Always tell me your d20 roll, even if you think you missed.

2. We’re fudging movement and ranges. Any scene will have a bunch of zones, in your turn you can move to any one of them. Ranged attacks can reach anywhere within the scene. Area effects hit everyone in the target zone.

3. Obviously, we don’t have a die roller, but frankly I trust you.

4. I usually narrate lost HP as barely made dodges and only describe injury once a monster reaches 0HP

5. It’s a Miracle – instead of the d20 roll to pop back to life: when you hit 0HP make CON rolls to stop bleeding to death, but you need healing (not just rest) to recover HP.

6. In cross-roads scenes the group needs to decide what objective to pick next. I’ll list two or three obvious choices but you guys can go with something else if you want. How you agree that is up to you.

7. Advancement: I’m using loot rather than milestones, but I’ll make loot tailored to your characters. We’re still using the Master rolls (“Nat twenty!!”). In addition to that your characters can earn Reputation, which you can spend to have good folk in towns (and other places of safety) help you work on projects when you have weeks or months long turns.

8. Alfheim: As people of Alfheim you know the Six Things your characters know from p31 – outside of that, and the map nothing is that certain

9. Torntons; your whole race has a kind of amnesia – you know your people came from the stars a couple of generations ago, and you know your own culture and recent history, but there is some kind of blank spot when it comes to the details of space travel etc

10. A note to the spellcasters – I like spell miscast mishaps and use them a lot, please don’t feel bad or think that I’m picking on you, I just like the chaos!

I’m sure it will take us a couple of sessions to get the hang of it.

Good ruleset. I really like number 10. It’s elegant and elevates the Con stat. I’m going to adopt that with my group.

Can’t we use @discobot as a die roller?
@discobot roll 1d20

:game_die: 16

I cast doorway …
@discobot roll 1d20+5

:game_die: 3

That +5 didn’t count for much. Did it?