Kid-Friendly Character Sheets

inspiration
character-sheet

My goal was to create a kid-friendly character sheet. I added things like a distance tracker, notes on recovery, and places to track the extra battle mechanics like Spell Burn. I also removed any artwork that may upset small children, hopefully the tombstone is acceptable. I also had more text and explanations, but they seemed to crowd it and got confusing. Let me know what you think, or if you think something should be added/changed. For those of you with kids, would this help them?

That’s everyone-friendly! Very good sheet. Might get some use out of it in the near future!

@Nicolas_Bohnenberger Thanks, Glad you like it!

That sheet is just my speed! Perfect.

Yeah dude. That’s killer. I like your distance tracker.

Battle fury and dog pile?

Alternate dice rules in the core

Yep like Alex said. I thought they were things that kids may use if the game seems too difficult.

I like that. May be i try to do same for French kid.

This is so awesome! I think I’ll play around in Scribus to make a form-fillable pdf out of it. This might be my favorite sheet so far!

i second that idea. lol

This sheet has it all! Very inspiring, you did a great job. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone, that means a lot to me!

Kind of a side note, has anyone tried to print out the different variations of character sheets and show them to kids to see which ones are more appealing? Maybe we could set up cognitive age ranges (Erickson’s 3-5, 6-11, 12-18 could be a good base range) and set up a survey for the Runehammer forum. We’d need a collection of the current character sheets numbered or named for distinction. It would be a small sample size but the results could help guide GMs in the right direction.

I personally have noted (anecdotally) that pre-teens tend to gravitate towards card sized objects (think phones, or Magic cards) so maybe the better character sheet is actually one that is a small deck which can be spread out and shuffled, adding a new tactile dimension to the table top experience. Maybe bio is one card, background is another card, six stats are a card, loot is a card, hero cards instead of coins, etc. Putting the Index Card back in ICRPG.

I don’t know if I’ll do it on playing cards, but I have thought about making a smaller sized, simple sheet. Like 4 would fit on an 8.5 x 11 paper. I’ll keep ya posted if I get around to it!

These archetype designs could be incorporated for one page/card. Perhaps without the picture and a little less guided.

Thanks sweenie. When I put those cards together I did think about making them as already layed out character sheets with all the content pre printed. Ultimately I decided against it as:

• It removes a level of personalisation and connection to the character, when copying out the details from a card into your sheet, you have to actively read and learn the character, if you want different weapons or to add flavour then you can as well as you copy.

• It gets messy if the character loses a weapon or stat that was pre printed on them you have to scribble on it.

• We already have the Heroes of the Hammer resource from Hank that gives us this.

The quick reference cards were a resource so that a player could put together a character quickly, but not be given a set character, if that makes sense.

In the spirit of the shield wall, all the info on the cards was from CORE anyway and you are welcome to make a copy and adapt as needed.

I just added another sheet at the top of this thread that contains 4 smaller sheets on one print out. It’s not identical to the first, but still has a partial distance tracker, 2 blank circles for tracking things like Hero Coins, etc, and then 3 blank squares for placing dice that track Spell Burn or whatever else you may want. The Loot area is small, but I really wanted to cram a full sheet onto this size for those people who like to fit a detailed character sheet into their journals or whatnot.

Awesome on top of awesome!