Help adapting a video game loot to table top

question

My kids & I love Legend of Zelda & they want to play an RPG in Hyrule (probably set somewhere between Breath of the Wild & Tears of the Kingdom).

The problem I’m running into is the loot. In the video game there is soooooooo much stuff to collect.

Has anyone else done a video game to table top conversion or have advice on what to do with inventory? Thanks!

I did a sort of conversion with NES Mario Bros and a couple other side-scrollers. Not sure if it’ll help, but it might give you some ideas.

There’s also a chance that @Ezzerharden may have done some work on something closer to Zelda too (or has already done Zelda).

How did I miss this the first time you posted!?!?? Well done! This did give me a lot of things to think about!

Check out this Link (Ha!) To help you on your mission. It’s a list of all items in BoTW. I believe there is a page on there for weapons as well.

Now for your conversion; the vast majority of the items/loot available are ingredients and food. I would maybe think of doing something “color coded” for different effects. All red mushrooms grant fire resistance, blue mushrooms = cold resistance, etc. Obviously flavor to your own preference. If you want cooking/combining ingredients, maybe you choose up to four ingredients to get a combined effect over a number of rounds/phases. If the players start combining random ingredients you could maybe build out a few roll tables and make “recipes” based on roll results. In amy event, I seriously pare down the number of “ingredients” available to players either through limiting player inventory or just making the collection scarce. I’m more a fan of limited inventory, especially when dealing with playing Legend of Zelda.

For weapons and armor, I think I would go along with having “quality” levels of each weapon. To simulate the weapons getting damaged and breaking you assign each level a number of failed attacks based on their quality level. “Pristine swords break after four rolled 1’s on attacks” or something to that nature.

I’ve kinda gotten long winded here, but I’ve always thought Zelda would make a fun Rpg. I’ve got a few links saved somewhere for some different home brewed worlds and systems for Zelda, if you are interested I can track them down and post them here. If I had more free time on my hands this would be a project I would love to pursue.

Thanks,
Chris

Hey Chris, thanks so much! I like the idea of color coding the various elemental effects!

Quality levels on the weapons for durability makes sense.

Any other resources you have would be greatly appreciated!

https://forums.runehammer.online/t/legend-of-zelda/8117

Reclaim the wild

https://templesandtektites.wixsite.com/zelda/how-to-play

https://rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=75365&ti=2&date=1592817715

Just to be clear, none of these are my works. I’ve just came across these while searching for ideas for this exact idea. A couple of these are works in progress for ICRPG conversions! If these belong to anyone here, great work!

Hopefully these can help you along your way