Visual Inspiration

inspiration

Hoping to bolster @Lakins topic on “Inspirational Images,” and riff off of @Tanwangco42 post on “Musical Inspiration.” I figure we could post some artwork that gets our creative juices flowing as Dungeon Masters and Players dreaming of the infinite worlds.

zdzislaw beksinski

MEOOOOOWWWW!!! I really like DCC style art for inspiration. :slight_smile:

Credit shown in image itself

This is very cool @Anthony_Sanchez . I am in to darker horror based games. Big lovecraft fan.

@slingstone
That’s horrifying…and adorable? Its hypnotic kitty-gaze must be already working on me. Also, nice hair.

@Lakins Same here dude! Although I do have a soft spot for high heroism too. Have you finished the Necronomicon?

0a94316266ab2c5f69bdfcca99140e2a--dark-fantasy-crawl

Just epic art found off the interwebs! Typically I search “fantasy …” and then type whatever things come to mind. Lately I’ve been looking up “fantasy desert city” to get my mind flowing for my homebrew D&D world!

Have not. But o have a pdf I think. Lol

I don’t think this kinda stuff is accosiated with RPGs so much but lately this kinda of art work has really been driving my visual and historical inspiration. I really like learning about the different latin cultures and their Gods. I’m no expert but I truely feel that theres a lot of potential in using their culture and beliefs in a campaign, such as the idea we are all made of corn.

inspiration

Out of curiosity does anyone implement disease in their campaign? I’m sure that a lot of our players are traveling far distances and people from far distances are coming to where the players live. How have you guys handled disease?

YES we need more south american and latin american influences! so much cool art, colors, and rich culture to be explored and inspired by.

the%20devils%20heard

“If you want to save your soul from hell a-riding on our range
Then cowboy change your ways today or with us you will ride
Trying to catch the devil’s herd, across these endless skies”

Would make a good hero or villain for ghost Mt setting. They have a great pantheon

Get your Blood & Snow on, let’s get Paleolithic up in here!

@Tanwangco42, duuuude! Mesoamerica would be a rad setting, like Maztica for Forgotten Realms (but better). The Jaguar God approves.

Mayan gods were the bomb, so much cool shit, they had lovecraftian stuff before lovecraft even existed. Check out the Pus Lord, the Jaundice Lord, and all the other Lords of Death:

Xibalba is described in the Popol Vuh as a court below the surface of the Earth associated with death and with twelve gods or powerful rulers known as the Lords of Xibalba. The first among the Maya Death Gods ruling Xibalba were Hun-Came (“One Death”) and Vucub-Came (“Seven Death”), though Hun-Came is the senior of the two.[6][7]

The remaining ten Lords are often referred to as demons and are given commission and domain over various forms of human suffering: to cause sickness, starvation, fear, destitution, pain, and ultimately death.[1] These Lords all work in pairs: Xiquiripat (“Flying Scab”) and Cuchumaquic (“Gathered Blood”), who sicken people’s blood; Ahalpuh (“Pus Demon”) and Ahalgana (“Jaundice Demon”), who cause people’s bodies to swell up; Chamiabac (“Bone Staff”) and Chamiaholom (“Skull Staff”), who turn dead bodies into skeletons; Ahalmez (“Sweepings Demon”) and Ahaltocob (“Stabbing Demon”), who hide in the unswept areas of people’s houses and stab them to death; and Xic (“Wing”) and Patan (“Packstrap”), who cause people to die coughing up blood while out walking on a road.[6][7] The remaining residents of Xibalba are thought to have fallen under the dominion of one of these Lords, going about the face of the Earth to carry out their listed duties.

Another really cool source to draw inspiration from is the Dreamtime and Song Lines of the Native Australian peoples. Imagine an RPG campaign pulling inspiration from exploring a Song Line, dropping into the song line, exploring it for a while, and then leaving it after a time… and yet the Song goes ever on into eternity past and future.

@Nickster, I can’t yes enough to everything you just said. :herocoin:

Here’s for everyone who might want an indigenous old gods vibe from south america.

His name is Qetza on DesignbyHumans if you want to see his other work. And yep, you’re gonna want to buy this Lich T-Shirt…

Dudes i can’t get enough of these things.

Can I be a Lawful Evil Paladin of…Corn?
Chants: “Corn for the corn god!”

But on a serious note, I think there is a lot of untapped potential there too. Kinda like Hank was talking about creating cultures. Adds even more immersion and flavor to your game.

I did have a PC who was a Monk afflicted with leprosy. My morning ritual, along with my martial arts practice, was to wash myself and replace my bandages. My goal was to attain physical perfection before my body succumbed to the disease, fighting always against the ever-increasing burden of the spreading rot.

My hit points were low, my charisma checks were hard, but my discipline was my salvation. Neat character.