So, what does a Sword do?

homebrew
loot
weapons
custom-rules

I’ve been thinking of and playing around with weapon properties lately and how they can be used to make each weapon a unique choice. Cleave, backstab, armor ablation, etc.

But the humble sword? From what I understand, the main utility of the sword was it’s versatility, but how does one get that into a simple succinct mechanic?

Just a +1?

Here’s mine:

WEAPON TAGS

ALL weapons cause WEAPON EFFORT damage, with the modifiers below.

MELEE: Basic TAG. This weapon can only attack CLOSE enemies.

RANGED: Basic TAG. This weapon can attack NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE or FAR enemies.

AMMUNITION: On an attack roll roll of 1 your clip or quiver is empty and you need to take a TURN to recharge this weapon (provided you carry extra ammunition).

BLUNT: On a modified 18+ the victim is stunned for a ROUND (actions against a stunned target are EASY). Opponents that are not alive ignore this effect. This weapon can’t be FAST or PIERCING.

FAST: On a modified 18+, attack again. This weapon can’t be BLUNT.

FINESSE: Use either STR or DEX (whichever you prefer) to make melee attacks with this weapon. This weapon can’t be HEAVY, LARGE, or VERSATILE.

GUN: This weapon is a gun and uses GUN & TECH EFFORT instead of WEAPON EFFORT.

HEAVY: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. If a weapon is both HEAVY and LARGE it deals +1D6 damage and takes up three inventory spaces.

LARGE: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. If a weapon is both LARGE and HEAVY it deals +1D6 damage and takes up three inventory spaces.

LIGHT: Causes -2 damage and can be used off-hand in two-weapon melee fighting without penalty. This weapon can’t be HEAVY or MARTIAL.

MARTIAL: Causes +2 damage. This weapon can’t be HEAVY or LIGHT. If the character is not a fighter-type or doesn’t have at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, all attacks with this weapon are HARD.

PIERCING: On a modified 18+, cause +1D4 bleeding damage. Opponents that are not alive or don’t bleed ignore this effect. This weapon can’t be BLUNT.

REACH: A melee weapon with this quality can attack NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE enemies.

SIMPLE: Attack rolls with this weapon are never HARD. This weapon can never be FAST, HEAVY, LARGE, MARTIAL or VERSATILE.

THROWN: Can be thrown up to NEAR range without penalty.

VERSATILE: Can be used one or two-handed without penalties. Additionally, special effects attacks with this weapon (causing a different type of damage, disarming, sweeping, hitting a specific target, etc.) are never HARD.

Example: A common dagger is (melee, fast, finesse, light, thrown). This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6-2 damage, can attack again on a modified 18+ attack roll, can equip the weapon off-hand, and can use either STR or DEX to make attack rolls with it.

Example: A broadsword is (melee, finesse, martial). This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6+2 damage and can use either STR or DEX to make attack rolls with it.

Example: A longbow is (ranged, large, martial, piercing). This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6+2 damage and +1D4 bleeding damage on a modified 18+ attack roll. The weapon takes up two inventory spaces.

Example: A morningstar is (melee, blunt, martial). This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6+2 damage and stuns the target for one ROUND on a modified 18+ attack roll.

"Heavy Weapons" Effort instead of "Guns"

That’s a nice write-up! Some are quite similar to what I’ve been thinking, but I may yoink some of the ones that aren’t. :cowboy_hat_face:

I have both been contemplating something akin to this as well as giving each weapon itself a distinct unique trait, which I think would be very neat but is also quite an undertaking.

First reaction: +1 is weak tea, and a little dull (pun intended).

Second reaction: when you say “sword” what are you imagining? The breadth of what we have collectively decided to refer to as “swords” is astonishing, and I’d say in their own time and context the technology and expense involved makes a sword neither simple, nor humble. I came up with several mechanical possibilities for various category of sword which hopefully may inspire your thinking: Alternative Alfheim Starting Gear

Maybe a sword doesn’t do anything except 1d6 damage. But, you can train with it and learn swordsmanship, giving you access to a skill tree.

DEF bonuses, extra damage, bleed, crippling effects, disarm, etc.

So a sword in the hands of a swordsman IS versatile. In the hands on an untrained villager it’s just a weapon.

I’m importing the Gear Traits from The Sword Marches over which have mechanical rules for each type of weapon, as the ones in the Master ed are hit and miss in that category. I will be posting them next week for general playtest. Keep and eye out.

I will eagarly await it!

Ok I just posted for The Sword Marches playtest doc #1 which has new rules mechanics and a full, robust list of fantasy weapons & armor and their special rules which sets each class of weapon apart from the rest. Here’s the link:

Jagger out!

Anyone give this a read? I’m open to feedback and love to clarify if you have questions.

The RPG that Matt Colville’s company is developing has Swords grant extra defense, which I quite like, since swords are often deflect other weapons in movies and fictions.

I took these tags, with minimal changes, and tried to apply them to the Alfheim weapons list from the Core manual. I tired to keep all different weapons balanced so that they can be all a viable option for the players.

ICRPG Weapons

BLADE WEAPONS

Dagger

MELEE: attack CLOSE range enemies.

LIGHT: -2 damage effort, can be used off hands without penalty

FAST: on a modified 18+ attack again.

CONCEALED: It’s EASY to hide it if searched

THROWN: can be thrown up to NEAR range without penalty

Short Sword

FAST: On a modified 18+, attack again.

PIERCING: on a modified 18+ causes BLEED (1 hp damage extra per round until bandaged). Opponents that are not alive or don’t bleed ignore this effect.

Long Sword

MARTIAL: Causes +2 damage. Needs at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, or all attacks with this weapon are HARD.

VERSATILE: Can be used one or two-handed without penalties. Additionally, special effects attacks with this weapon (causing a different type of damage, disarming, sweeping, hitting a specific target, etc.) are never HARD.

Great Sword

LARGE: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. It gives +1 to STR when attacking.

MARTIAL: Causes +2 damage. Needs at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, or all attacks with this weapon are HARD.

CHOPPING: on a modified 18+, causes WEAPON damage X2.

Axe

THROWN: can be thrown up to NEAR range without penalty

Battle Axe

REACH: attacks NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE enemies.

LARGE & HEAVY: Takes two more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. It gives +2 damage effort and +1 to STR when attacking.

POLEARMS

Halberd

REACH: attacks NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE enemies.

LARGE: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. It gives +1 to STR when attacking.

Staff

SIMPLE: Attack rolls with this weapon are never HARD.

BLUNT: On a modified 18+ the victim is stunned for a ROUND (actions against a stunned target are EASY). Opponents that are not alive ignore this effect.

Spear

PIERCING: On a modified 18+, causes BLEED (1 hp damage extra per round until bandaged). Opponents that are not alive or don’t bleed ignore this effect.

Battle Spear

LARGE & HEAVY: Takes two more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. It gives +2 damage effort and +1 to STR when attacking.

PIERCING: On a modified 18+, causes BLEED (1 hp damage extra per round until bandaged). Opponents that are not alive or don’t bleed ignore this effect.

BLUNT WEAPONS

Mace

BLUNT: On a modified 18+ the victim is stunned for a ROUND (actions against a stunned target are EASY). Opponents that are not alive ignore this effect.

Warhammer

HEAVY: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. It deals +2 damage effort

Flail

UNBLOCKABLE: Attack rolls ignores the target’s LOOT ARMOR bonus.

SMASHING: On a modified18+ reduces by 1 point target’s LOOT ARMOR from a specific item. That item is damaged until repaired; if it drops to 0 bonus it’s broken beyond repair unless with magical means.

RANGED WEAPONS

Sling

LONG REACH: attacks NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE and FAR enemies.

LIGHT: -2 damage effort, can be used off hands without penalty

FAST: on a modified 18+ attack again.

CONCEALED: It’s EASY to hide it if searched

Shortbow

RANGED: attack NEAR or FAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE enemies. Use DEX to attack, and requires 2 hands.

AMMUNITION: On an attack roll roll of 1 your clip or quiver is empty and you need to take a TURN to recharge this weapon (provided you carry extra ammunition).

FAST: On a modified 18+, attack again.

Longbow

RANGED: attack NEAR or FAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE enemies. Use DEX to attack, and requires 2 hands.

Crossbow

HEAVY: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. It deals +2 damage effort

UNBLOCKABLE: Attack rolls ignores the target’s LOOT ARMOR bonus.

I think this is a pretty cool set up! Myself and my players (my wife and kids) like to use item/Weapon cards in our games. I could totally see creating a set of generic weapon cards with these tags/descriptions on them. I think I’d make a couple of spaces to add augments to the weapons for magical effects or whatever that could be written in.

Narratively, I like the idea of characters forging an “heirloom/legacy” weapon or item in our campaign so these augmented weapons could become permanent fixtures in our games and thereby warranting a card created just for that specific item.

I’ll be honest, the concept of using tags had been somewhat confusing to me, so this thread has been great for ideas on my end!

Thanks!

Ooooh, I didn’t notice the updates, I will give this all a look!

I think this is overall pretty solid, man. I will be yoinking some of this for my game!