The Sword Marches ICRPG Weapons & Armor lists

homebrew
weapons
the-sword-marches
new-rules-playtest

Good evening Shieldwall,

I’ve attached our first playtest doc for The Sword Marches world book compatible with ICRPG. Feel free to download it and give us your feedback. We’d prefer if you first played with these new rules, rather than glance at them and post. :wink:

The new game mechanics are likely useful for other D&D clones or OSR formats if that’s something you would like to explore.

Here’s the FB web address for download.

To ARMS!!!

Jagger Kilmane

So, what does a Sword do?

Any questions? Has anyone tried these rules out?

This sounds fun!

My game runs with the “mechanics damage” concept, so players’ actions may change core game mechanics. They’re kind of in a perfect place right now (a nexus between Alfheim and the dimensions, chaos seeping into the world) to affect such things, but this may add too much crunch and they’re usually forgetful about their loot abilities… I think I’ll skip the range stuff for the first attack, but will try think of a way to introduce degrees of success and traits in a limited capacity for next week’s session.

Have you given thought to trait scarcity and item durability? For us, any nat 1 on an attack attempt damages the weapon, it get progressively worse and after 3 times it’s completely useless until mended.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your feedback! Your question about item damage is well timed, because its something that I’m still chewing on. Once I start playing with my group soon, I’ll see how that might fit. I certainly am a big fan of verisimilitude so having your GEAR wear out or break is fine with me. I just need to sort out the mechanics then playtest them.

As for us, the Trait scarcity is already built in, because for non-GEAR Traits, you can only gain them as Milestone rewards because they are limited to the Origin and Vocation of the PC, and that determines which Traits he can choose from. With 12 Vocations, each with 3 specialty options, there’s a good spread of options, but they are limited in the amount you can have. They replace the Starting Ability and then you have the option of picking a new Trait as a Milestone reward. I will be posting stuff as we work on it more so we can get feedback from ICRPG players.

Thank you kindly for sharing. I downloaded it and will check it out!

Sounds good. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll gladly answer. :slight_smile:

Important Note: This doc includes more than just a list of weapons and armor. It includes the rules for factoring Weapon Reach into your combats, as well as the Favor/Fault mechanic which is a reskin of Advantage/Disadvantage but for all dice, not just d20’s. And finally, it has my favorite mechinc: Success Bonus!

Be sure to check those rules out and use them with the Weapons & Armor lists and GEAR Traits included!

As always, I love hearing feedback and thoughts on the content!

I like a lot of these tags and may yoink some of them! The reach rules are interesting, I don’t think I’ve seen this approach before.

How much had this gotten playtested? I am not super hot on “incremental bonus for rolls over target” as I find it always ends up halting the flow

Thanks for your feedback thrugl. Let’s see if I can answer your questions.

The additional rules for Success Bonus and Weapon Reach are straight out of the Brink of Battle & Scrappers miniatures skirmish games. Brink of Battle was nominated for an Origins Award in 2013 for Best Historical Wargame and Scrappers uses the revised version of the BoB rules and is published by Osprey Games. In other words, these are vetted for skirmish gaming, and we’ll be sure they bring dynamic tension to The Sword Marches ICRPG world book. GEAR Traits are also from those systems.

The Success Bonus is actually less potent than in BoB, as that system uses opposed D10+Mods die rolls. Its a point for point system for Success and Damage bonus which heightens the tension and flow of the game. Weapon Reach brings home a playable realism that we like very much for ICRPG.

If you decide to give these a go, please share your findings. :slight_smile: