Play by post anyone?

Hykon DEF roll 1+4=5… Acknowledge 1 damage

If the final Orc isn’t intimidated by Muel and does not run off then Hykon will attack again with his sword. STR 13+1=14… DAM 3+1=4

If the Orc is intimidated by Muel and does indeed run off Hykon will turn his attention to the wagon. He will turn tail and run back toward the wagon to lend a hand.

Mehrfin sees that the situation is still precarious with the load. Physical labor is not this Torton’s strong suit, but he figures with everyone else attempting to protect the group from the raiders, the best thing he could do would be to try to save their stuff before the wagon tumbles off the cliff.

Def 1d20+6 = 12 (not dying from arrows)
Dex 1d20+1 = 14 (Getting his shelled butt up into the wagon)
Str 1d20+0 = 14 (Actually moving items out of the wagon)

[Per LordFurlan’s question, my two cents is that I will likely roll each time, but the GM in my opinion knows the world, and ultimately my character far better than I do. Despite what the dice say, if he says “yeah, that ain’t going to happen,” I will accept it as doctrine. :slight_smile:]

DEX roll for run back to wagon if needed…17+1=18

Slowly approach the horse and examine the ambush site as to why she stopped there (and not continue to run off)
Approaching horse: CHA 15+1
Examining the ambush site: WIS 3+1

Yeah, its gonna take me a minute to get used to this PbP style. Still not sure how much and what I can or need to do each post, etc. I’ll get it worked out though. Bare with me…

Yeah, I just realized that by posting all at once I stepped on some toes in the fiction, possibly. We can also go back and edit our posts all through tomorrow, too! Is this a good space for planning? I’m still trying to work through how this thread system works. I’m used to discord/Reddit. If there’s a cleaner way to post lmk for sure!

I thought we were doing something akin to simultaneous action, with a small amount of freeform to reward those who post first.

Not only is this my first PbP game it’s also my first ICRPG game period. So I’m learning as we go. And am open to any tips, suggestions, pointers, and advice. We’ll get it figured out.

I’m in the same situation as GaryD20.

Since Hykon and Muel are in the same smaller “scene” together, we could read both our posts as first drafts before “submitting” them. Same goes to the larger scene as a whole, most likely! Also, Hykon gets to use my +7 DEF stat and can use the BATTLE STANDARD to make his roll EASY. Maybe we just sketch out what we want, then go back and edit with rolls and checks after everything is decided? Obviously we can all respond first with any saving throws that GM requests and then proceed from there?

Or we could just roll initiative when we roll our checks for the day. We do kind of have to work on assumptions at some point, but that’s where Smittumi gets to have their fun!
Also: I do reference the updated quick start/players guide pdf pretty much every post BTW, just to stay fresh on the rules. It’s free at drivethrurpg. I recommend it, and I’ve read the shit out of the 2e books, but it’s organized waaay better and it has lore and stuff.
Oh, don’t forget all the loot you have! I know I have Climbing Gear with some ROPE and PITONS… Plus we might have a horse on our side now!
I gotta go to bed, it’s 10pm here… This is a lot of fun so far.

Oh, thats right. I forgot about the +7 and the Battle Standard when I did my last turn. Wouldn’t effect my last attack roll but it would change my DEF from 1+4=5 to 5+7=12 I think.

Updated DEF… 1+4=5 0r 1+4+7=12 (with Muel’s DEF stat If I’m still covered by it)

Little flavor for Muel: he’s young by Dwarven standards, a mere 44 years old. He’s from a small coastal area, and really only knew his (relatively small) community. He’s a bit green and unsure, but is trying.
Out of character: from Smittumi’s warning I could see there possibly being reinforcements of orcs if we leave a survivor, but I think Muel may have just seen his first deadly combat, and killing a guy fighting for his life is different than “defending”… for now. He’s probably hoping the orc just runs.
I’ll roll a d100 on this being Muel’s first witness to death, what do you think the odds are? 1:10? Maybe a bit higher? He has weapons and armor, but it’s all handmade hand-me-downs that look like they just came out of storage.
Omg, I hope table talk is allowed, I’m going to be so embarrassed otherwise.

[How many rolls – you only need to roll your Saves, your WIS (if you’re looking for extra info) and your Main Action (which can be anything). You can make movement from one spot to another for free no problem (unless I’ve narrated an obstacle on one of those spots). You get one main action per turn and anything that would need a test in an ordinary D&D game is one action].

[Doing too much – it’s hard to write a meaningful definition of what constitutes a full turn. A good indicator is how long the round is (currently we’re on moments – about 10-20 seconds per turn). In the end if you’re not sure whether you’re trying to do too much just go for it! Make the post and if I think the action you’re proposing is too long I’ll narrate how you stop short of completing it. It’s better to push it and be told ‘no’ than feel frustrated that you’re not doing more].

[Turn order and co-ordination – basically whoever posts first acts first, so whenever you come to post see what your fellow PCs are doing. GaryD20’s turn was a good approach – when you’re not sure whether your fellow PC’s previous action has succeeded just write an alternative version “If he succeeds I do X, if he fails I do Y”]

[Passive abilities: From time to time you’ll probably need to remind your allies about any passive abilities you have that help them, is that ok? It’s either that or we replace passive abilities with active ones - e.g. Muel’s defence boost has to be activated - maybe he can use that instead of the free perception check, kind of a bonus action? Thoughts?]

[Don’t forget you can all make a free WIS test to make perception checks / ask a question about anything you want more info on]

[Abben, I don’t know if you picked up on it but there is a nearby Lighthouse on the coast, inside the Durhadda Keep, is it ok if that’s your place?]

[Table talk is all good with me, as is IC chatter - just don’t forget to take your turn]

Timer turns to 2 as Mehrfin’s spike naturally disintegrates back into arcane energy and the wagon slides a little closer to the edge.

The last orc lets out a shriek of fear from its snout, turns and scrambles up the hill and out of sight. Muel turns and heads back to the wagon. Crows watch silently from nearby trees, waiting for their chance to pick at the orc dead.

Arriving back at the wagon Muel glances down the steep drop and sees scuff marks and signs of recently rolled stones, and a little blood. It looks like the driver fell off the wagon, rolled down the steep bank and down into the dark forest below. It’s a long rough drop but not certain death, its possible he survived.

Hykon, bolstered by Muel’s battle-cry, successfully avoids the orc’s wild slashes, then runs back to the wagon and reaches it before him, pulling it as hard as he can but its so damn heavy!

[Pulling this heavy wagon is usually HARD. It’s 2 Hearts to drag the wagon safely back onto the road. As it’s been mentioned if anyone does use any ropes or other gear those are Tools for the purposes of rolling effort.]

Mehrfin jumps into the wagon easily and successfully moves the barrel of Ealish Gar onto the ground to safety. The wagon now just has the iron jug of fresh water and the crate of food.

[The arrow volleys have stopped and there’s no need to roll to climb a wagon]

Furlan approaches the horse and talking softly he calms her down “Easy, easy”. There’s nothing remarkable about where she stopped, it seems like it was just far enough from the action that she felt safe, but Furlan’s calm words mean she’s ready to act.

[Furlan can direct this horse (give her a name!) and use CHA as the Attempt stat to command her.]

[Great job, guys. I’m loving this]

[All gain +3 Rep - that orc is gonna tell his allies about the mighty warriors who slew his fellows]

No saves to make right now.
Round: Moments
Target: 12
Timer: 2

What do you do?

CHA 16+1
Slowly pet the horse and take the bit out of her mouth and any left over straps. Offer her a carrot and continually pet her. Since I’m an elf, show her my ears and say, “look, we both have long ears”. Tell her “I’ll call you Piper, do you like that name?”

[Furlan, you did some of that in the previous turn. You are welcome to take a main action if you want.]

Go to the drop off, look for the driver. Look down the area where the dirt looks disturbed.

Muel grabs the rope from his climbing kit and tosses one end to Hykon and the other to this noble elf with a way with mounts, (tying the middle around his own waist.)
“Hykon! Can you tie your end to the wagon! Lord Furlan! Will Piper lend you her strength?”
Dex+0, STR+2
@discobot roll 2d20