Play by post anyone?

A warm dusk settles over Duradin, and the shattered moon Iron Heart is just becoming visible through the late spring clouds. From Dur Moro if you look north-west you can see the spear-like lighthouse of Durhadda, and the dwarven keep that protects it.

Location: On a cliff-edge dirt road, some miles yet from the coast, a wagon balances precariously. Its two right side wheels have slipped off the narrow road’s edge and the weight of the cargo threatens to pull the wagon down the cliff into the forest below. One horse lies dead, arrows sticking out from his body. The other is panicking, desperately pulling at the leather straps binding her to the falling wagon. The wagon’s driver is missing, maybe fallen off the road’s edge.

Goal: Unless you stop it, in 3 rounds the wagon will slide over the edge and fall down the steep cliff into the forest below.

Obstacle: the wagon is fully laden and very heavy.

TTT: Partly hidden in the bushes and low branches of stubby trees, up on the high side of the road, sits a ‘fang’ of three orcs (a unit to you or I). Having killed the horse they have already nocked new arrows and have begun firing down at the wagon and its defenders. Each of you needs to pass a Defence check or suffer 2 damage from these orcish archers.

TTT: The wagon’s precious cargo is a large crate of food, an iron urn of fresh water, and a barrel of Ealish Gar, known for its healing properties – all are badly needed at Durhadda Keep.

TTT: It’s well known that orcs prefer close combat but are also not above using poisoned arrows. They will escalate matters in 2 rounds.

The Target is 12

Just to catch up… Def +4, Path of Oak.

Run towards the horse with the intent on cutting it free. Pulling out my daggers as I run towards the horse.
Def +2Screenshot_2022-05-16%20d20%20roller%20-%20Google%20Search

[So, what you need to do first is roll 1d20+defence and tell us that score, so we know if the orcs shot you.

Then secondly you have the option of looking for more info if you want. See above re WIS attempts.

Then thirdly tell us you main action: your intent, the action you take and the total roll. In this case it’d be 1d20+DEX and then effort would be 1d6 with the daggers.

Good start though, I love it :grinning:]

[Oh PS of course include anything you want to say, shout, whisper, etc to one another]

Muel angles towards the fang of orcs, raising his shield while he lets his spear point hover in the air in the general direction of danger…
Def +7: Nat 1 rolled, 2 pts damage noted!
“Archers in the bushes!” I shout as I look to see where the next volley is aimed…
WIS +0 Rolled a 4
Main intent is to engage the orc archers (attack with 10ft spear) from a NEAR position
STR +3 Rolled a 9=12, 2 effort on a d6 roll

defense rolled = 6 +2 = 8
Main action = dex (+4) + 23 = 27; running to free the horse
Shout “I’ll free the horse”
Screenshot_2022-05-16%20d20%20roller%20-%20Google%20Search(1)

What does TTT mean? I Googled it first and nothing came up. Sorry if I’m coming off as a dimbulb here, I’ll get up to speed I swear haha

Sorry, newb here, I was suppose to roll 2d6 for my weapon effort

[Threats, Treats, Timers and anything else that you mind think important]

I hold my common shield above my head with one arm, hoping to avoid being hit in the head, or anywhere else for that matter.
(Def 6 + 11 = 17)

I look over toward where the others are grasping at the horses, hoping to time what I am going to attempt correctly.
(Wis 1 + 12 = 13)

I figure that if I somehow try to stop the wagon, but I do so too soon, it might just make matters worse.

I hold in my mind an image of a metal spike with outstretched feet, hoping to cast it somewhere under the cart to slow it down. I summon the device just as I think my timing is right.
(Int 3 + 12 = 15)
(ME 5 +1 = 6) [Used d8 per 2e rules. Let me know on this going forward. Thanks.]

[not sure if abilities are in play or not, but with the Defender Ability CLOSE allies can use my +7 DEF stat!]
“Stand behind my shield!” I roar [as I take 2hp ranged damage, haha]

So are we just on the honor system when it comes to dice rolling? Or are we doing something like Lordfurlan? Honestly I have no idea how to do that?

We could try @discobot as recommended previously by @AbbenWisson. If we are doing multiple rolls per post, however, that might bog down the chat a bit.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

DEF 18+4=22

Hykon will take Muel’s offer and join him behind his shield as they advance on the Orcs and draw his sword with the intent of attacking the nearest Orc when within range.

STR 6+1=7… EFFORT 3+1=4 (not that it matters, ugh)

[You can ask Google to “roll” any dice, just type it in the search bar. They were just taking screenshots of the results. Smittumi trusts us to not cheat ourselves by fudging dice rolls, so I don’t think it’s currently necessary.]

Furlan runs over and successfully cuts the harness away from the horse, who gallops off. Scared but safe, she stops several dozen feet away from the ambush site.

Muel cannot tell for sure where the next orc volley was poised to strike, but no matter; he and Hykon charge up the bank and engage the fang. With his long spear Muel is able to thrust into the group, despite their height advantage, and immediately cuts down two of the wretched creatures. It seems these particular orcs are of weaker stock. Hykon is not so fortunate; between the higher position of the enemy and a brief hesitation he isn’t able to land a killing blow on the last orc.

Meanwhile, with careful observation, Mehrfin’s spell manifests a large, perfectly timed spike on the ground. It shoots up into the underside of the wagon and holds it in place. He feels the arcane energy being pulled by the weight of the cart, but it holds… for now. That timer is paused for one round.

Muel and Hykon must each pass a Defence check or suffer 1 damage from a nasty dagger the final orc pulls from his belt. He’s outnumbered, but has nowhere to run and is fighting for his life. As they’re stood together Hykon benefits from Muel’s passive defensive ability.

What do you do?

[One thing I should add which I really should have mentioned before - I prefer to use a mix of randomness and in-world logic to build content for games, so please don’t expect balance or fair fights]

•(Muel rolls an 18+7 for his DEF against the orc)
•He tries to appear menacing as he thumps his tabard, a Lightkeeper BATTLE STANDARD [1 ally per round, next roll is EASY] (Muel rolls a 13+2 for CHA to intimidate the orc into possibly fleeing)
•Muel wants to disengage and lend his hand to saving the wagon laden with supplies for Durhadda Keep. (He thinks the orc threat is neutralized and the wagon is now priority #1.)
“The Gar! It’s Ealish!”
•As a free action I think Muel would try to use his basic perception of the scene to try to figure out where the driver of the wagon went? Another 18+0 INT.
“What in the Infernal…?”

Question, do I need to roll for every little action I do?

Continuing the discussion from Play by post anyone?:

[I think of it like “I only roll the dice when I’m not sure of the outcome.” I tell Smittumi how I’d *like* the scene to change, and how I’m trying to make that happen, but ultimately it’s up to the dice, my relevant modifier, and the DM’s good graces to see if it fails or succeeds. I might be completely off base though]