New QuickStart, Long Live 2e!

For love of a more Sword and Sorcery campaign, I would lean towards Weapon Effort of D8 , and a Magic Effort of 1D6 per Runic of Power tattooed to a body part by a Master of Magicks.

You know what, I really like this hands usage idea. This is easy to explain, easy to find out in what type/class the weapon is in and there is some real difference between them.

• d6: One handed weapons (You can wield a shield or offhand weapon along with these)
  • d8: Two handed weapons (Takes two hands to use properly so no shield).

I will try this way round.

I concur on many statements made…

This release is both a blessing and a disappointment.
But I also think this is a great addition to 2nd edition, and at most should be added as “Appendix A” to second edition core.

There are a few small mistakes in it, But it should not be incorporated into Core.

It’s a very clever set of additional rules that can be added into your game with minimum impact.

But it also adds greater freedom.

If you make a game where everyone is playing spaceships…remove the D4 and D6…
a ware wolf in the party does not need to have loot that makes them a ware wolf.
Only 1 hero coin??? What??? I’ve been ignoring that rule for a while, I’ll continue to do so.

Will we need a 3rd edition? Nope
Might it be helpful? Sure

However, as a community, we can formulate how this goes. Hank is the “official version” of a DIY gameing system. Do what you want with it.

Is everyone tracking individual enemy defense now? The warhammer and knight kit both degrade enemy defense, which isn’t even a stat by default. You’ll end up with the TN of the room being different from the to-hit value of the enemies. It’s certainly not complicated by DND standards, but I’m surprised it made it’s way over here.

No. That burden is on the player to know he or she is rolling against a lesser number, not the DM, which is the case for all loot. The target of the room stands, but the individual player keeps track of where he or she is in relation to the target.

The 2e QuickStart has become the go-to way to play for my groups. Character creation, mastery points, Life Forms, Types/Classes, categories of effort, and spells are all the norm now for us. In terms of running the game, it hasn’t changed at all from the DM seat.

Cool!!!

And there are hundreds of thousands of players playing appendix N DND.

But I wouldn’t give players Quick Start 2nd edition to read before we start playing at a convention session.

My only problem is the title.

Well, I wouldn’t give players anything to read at a convention except their pregen character sheet. Lol.