New QuickStart, Long Live 2e!

Replaced fillable PDF sheet with new version that has no d6 on death timer.

This is overwhelming, but awesome!

One quick suggestion:

WHO GOES FIRST?
When a new action scene begins, everyone at the table rolls a D20. The highest roll goes first, then clockwise. Pray the GM doesn’t win! (p.8)

We’re pretty much all playing online right now, right? Maybe we could come up with a method to determine turn order for virtual tabletops.

Edit: Man, I love the simple change to “Life Forms.” The art is great. And I love how each life form has three different portraits. It really showcases how much variety you can have in a character.

I am reading through this now and loving it. Some initial thoughts:

1. I really like the slightly expanded character options. I love that each class is on one full page, slightly clearer and still simple to pick up. It will be very easy to take this format and create new ideas as well!

2. Speaking of characters, I notice that none have a Heart stone as a milestone reward. Interesting choice! Though no reason you can’t still give those out (or have them as loot).

3. Spells no longer have learning requirements, which I like. Though I would probably rule in my own games that if you find a new spell in the heat of battle you have to spend at least a turn to learn it. Potentially with a roll but no effort.

4. I love the addition of the Gun Effort. In the last version I feel that the d10 was missed. That being said I think in my own game I might re frame the idea of d6/d8/d10 effort into something like d6 for Simple Weapons/Tools, d8 for Advanced Weapons/Tools, and d10 for Experimental Weapons/Tools/Spells. It is a bit more granular but not crazy. I could see doing levels of spells as well. Maybe Advanced and Experimental levels could have more potential drawbacks as a trade off for higher effort potential. Anyway, probably just something I would mess with in my own games.

I am excited to see an update of the Core PDF!

Table order in VTT is easy, everyone’s name is listed either on the side of the screen or along the bottom. Use that list, that’s the table order. :+1: Keep it simple. :blush:

There’s no update to Core. The QS 2e is a mod to Core, it even says that in the QuickStart under the section “Think of me as a Mod.”
:grin::v:

Ahhh got it! I misread earlier and thought it said an update to the core pdf was also coming. Sounds good. This is easy enough to port over the parts I like (the intent obviously).

We’re pretty much all playing online right now, right? Maybe we could come up with a method to determine turn order for virtual tabletops.

You can arrange portraits order in roll20 iirc, or you can put some initiative cards on the virtual tabletop too. Rn I’m using a simple “roll vs target” initiative mechanic, go BEFORE the GM on a success, or AFTER on a fail. You can also just use popcorn initiative. Someone takes the first turn and then decides who goes next, and then they decide who goes next, and so on until everyone has taken a turn and new initiative is rolled.

In the current iteration of my Fallout hack I have d6 for Tools (and simple melee), d8 for guns, and d10 for energy weapons/Hi-Tec stuff. Works wonders! Yet I feel that for fantasy I’ll just keep using the normal 2e efforts, it feels kind of a stretch otherwise.

Edit: tool effort reaaaaaally shines of you implement crafting rules btw

No update to the core is bad news…

I’d love to order a physical copy of the core but there is kinda no point in that if first half is replaced bby the qs. :confused:

So as a personal request:
Could you please update the core to match the qs, pretty please. Pretty please with the sugar on top…

Thank you for bringing back the iconic original red hearts.

Thinking about it more, I would do this, with no distinction between melee and ranged.

Fantasy
d6: Most weapons/tools
d8: Heavy or advanced weapons (So, guns or big crazy great swords)
d10: Magic

Sci-Fi
d6: Basic weapons (Blaster pistol, shock baton, etc)
d8: Military weapons (Rifles, vibroblades)
d10: Advanced/Experimental (Laser swords, two handed plasma casters. Always have at least one weird quirk that could be dangerous).

I just like that level of granularity so that players don’t feel like they have to use magic or whatever. Anyway, an easy thing to include in your own games.

It has been said that will not be done. AS the QS is not per se an update of the Core, but a mod.

I decided to compile my own version, as I would not be able to buy the physical copy from the source anyway. I’m doing that by hand, but honestly, if you mix and match pages of 2e and QS you should get a decent tome to print out independently.

EDIT: Link to my project -> ICRPG QS/2e hybrid - Handmade Tome

as I would not be able to buy the physical copy from the source anyway.

I feel you bro… cries in south american

edit: typos

Precisely, I’m Brazilian.

Even the paper I’m using is limited supply as I’ll have to import it when it runs out and will have to save for a few months to do so.

As much as I love having a physical copy, I don’t need a book that’s just the text not deleted text from the other books I already have. Besides, the true benefit of ICRPG is being able to keep it all in your head, even after getting crunk. So, all that’s really missing from QS are the big LOOT tables, but I already have those in 2e core, and hank showed us that for additional stuff he just pilfers from pathfinder’s magic items for his home game.

Looks like there is a little problem with this approach. Something which works in Sci-Fi may not necessarily work in fantasy. What is the difference between “most weapons” and “advanced weapons”? When something is advanced enough to give d8? And also require + points on d8? When player should/shouldn’t invest in this advanced type? Is it technically more complicated in usage or what?

Don’t get me wrong, it happens that you like to give someone extra weapon, with bigger random damage part and without magic. But now we have a new class of things and I don’t see nice division line so far for fantasy setting. So maybe in fantasy is better just to skip d8? Or really just say it is when you use gunpowder (which is not the case in games I build)?

I’m currently toying with:

• Basic d4
  • Weapons&Tools d6
  • Machines&GunPowder d8
  • Magic d10

So it makes a clear distinction between manual operating stuff and industrally advanced machinnery. This makes sense in a fantasy setting that includes steam/diesel punk elements, like warcraft/warhammer. You could normally work in the limitations of machinnery using up more precious resources and magic even more so, so a player feels that the higher die step is actually an investment.

I think I’m just gonna leave the normal 4 efforts for my personal fantasy hack tho, because of the reasons you mentioned and the for sake of simplicity.

What about ‘mastercrafted’ weapons and tools? Things a player actually plays out in game being made/forged?

My inspiration is from a system like Fallout where they had categories for various weapon types like Small Guns, Explosives, Energy Weapons, etc. I like that its a bit more granular (Without getting crazy).

Let’s break it down a bit for Fantasy with inspiration from D&D 5e:

• d6 is for simple weapons (weapons anyone can use reasonably well without much training)
  • d8 is for martial weapons (weapons you need some training to use effectively)

If you use this method, you might want to tell certain characters that they cannot use any d8 weapons (or that all rolls are Hard with that weapon) until they take time to train with it. I can see some people not liking this for ICRPG. It is something I would be fine with though.

Another alternative:

• d6: One handed weapons (You can wield a shield or offhand weapon along with these)
  • d8: Two handed weapons (Takes two hands to use properly so no shield).

And a third idea could be:

• d6: Weapons/Tools (All standard fantasy weapons/tools).
  • d8: “Contraptions” (Any crazy fantasy stuff like Goblin Net throwers or even just cross bows. Maybe a flail polearm or a man catcher or something).

I guess you just have to take the flavor of your own world and adapt it. You risk getting away from the simplicity of ICRPG with these kinds of changes, but I don’t think it is too bad if you are careful and clear with your players.

The Shadow has them as an option. They do Ultimate Damage on 18+.