Hitting the road

homebrew
inspiration

Inspired by The Perilous Wilds and Index Card RPG, I’ve come up with this method of handling travel for the player-characters:

• Travel is calculated in time, not in distance as per The Perilous Wilds.
    • “The trip’s gonna take seven days.” “You should make it to town in nine hours.”
    • Mounts make the travel time faster (2 hours or days traveled for 1), while difficult terrain makes the travel time slower by half.
  • Random encounters are rolled only when the PCs enter a TERRITORY:
    • When the PCs first enter a TERRITORY, give them an interactive hint (knowledge checks) of the kind of creatures or encounters that they might collide into.
    • Approximate the trip’s time to a couple of dice (7 days could be 2d6) and roll them: the encounter happens that many hours or days into the trip unless the players have left the territory, in which case begin the process again when they enter another TERRITORY or when they finish their encounter. The world isn’t that freaking dangerous as to require checks every day!!
    • Another advantage of this method is that you can determine the hour of the encounter in advance: if the travel is calculated in days you can roll d24 to and not “role-play” through the whole camp setup and turn order. Keeps the game flowing much nicely.
  • Supply works similar to ICRPG, but to avoid decimals we require 2 supply per day. Smaller creatures need only 1 and bigger creatures could require 3 or 4 depending on the table.
    • 2 is a magic number and 1 should die.
    • Foraging along CONNECTORS is nearly impossible. But in the wild? Chances might be more or less reasonable according to the type of terrain, slows down progression, and are an opportunity for trouble if the check is failed.
  • Getting lost means the PCs are following a visible but distant landmark or traveling through some difficult terrain. Make your PCs steer left or right a bit in their travel.

Did I miss anything?

This looks great! My main thing about ANY mechanic I add to games like ICRPG or Crown & Skull is How easy and usable is it going to be? If it’s cumbersome in anyway, I either strip it down OR I scrap it and start winging it.

Have you tested this yet?

I have! It requires a little bit of prep I think, knowing where the players want to go, what kind of territories they will traverse, and then what kind of encounters there are on there, but that makes it also much easier to know what you need before a session! I also enjoy how it allows the game to keep a good flow rather than awkwardly stop the game like a less intense round-to-round combat!

Some other approaches/sources of inspiration worth a look: