Travel as Challenge

Hey shields,

This is the updated thread (Version Mai 21th 2021).
I’m reworking my Chase approach, too - and will create a dedicated topic once I feel “ready” :slight_smile:

I’ve found a solution for implementing TRAVEL in my game without sucking at it. It works great for my table group, it may also work for yours. Feel free to feedback on that!

Greetings
glocke

PS: Dorin Hammerzeh is working on a version based on the THINK DECK - stay tuned!

HEARTS as Distance, EFFORT as Travel
I Need Your Help! What is your favorite ICRPG Community Content?
Hitting the road

so we mentioned this in chat but i think its important to clarify that you need to still make an attempt to utilize your effort in a chase, but yes this is GOLD!! chase mechanics were always a fickle thing to me and i can definitely see myself using them in the future

works very well.

In the chase I did last Monday each player has his own score of effort to beat, that way each player has to run the same distance and overcome obstacles.

What happened is one player ran to fast and got to safety.
The other two huddled around a torch to Repel the flesh eating worms that where chasing them.

The one ahead returned to help his friends, and so they all triumphantly escaped together.

All I had written in my notes for that encounter.

Flesh eating Worms, thousands, Chase with Think Deck

From just reading the words “travelling effort” I’m so impressed. Never thought of effort for travel. Brilliant!

Simplifying chases even more would make a nice tool for running away in a dungeoncrawl/pointcrawl type game. Players have to make a single check (DEX for stealth, STR for sprinting, WIS/INT for navigation) within d4 turns. Players who escape quickly can opt to slow down and make the checks EASY for one ally, at the risk of being caught if the player they’re helping still doesn’t make it.

I’m having trouble following the document. Do obstacles impact the amount of effort? Can PCs share supplies? Are obstacles just things the DM puts on their event table? If the effort = days, are characters shaving days off travel time? It’s a really neat idea, but I feel like I have to redo this so that it makes sense for me.

That’s up to DM’s discretion.

How I do it:

• I let players roll travel effort if they overcome the obstacle.
  • PCs can share their supplies.
  • Obstacles can be caused by PCs (aka living world).
  • For me effort means progress, each round is a day.

From the document, I struggle to grasp it to play it out, but I know enough to like the concept. Would be interested to play test it out.

Basically, its meant to be a guideline to improvise short travel scenes - not a fixed set lf rules :slight_smile:

That’s very helpful! Thank you!

Now when you say obstacles can be caused by PC, do you mean PC can create obstacles for others, or you would run it that bad rolls on the PCs’ part generate obstacles?

Really, now that I think about it, I like both those ideas.

What I have in mind is like: Roleplay may yield future obstacles for the entire group.

Thank you kindly for this, looks like I can use this is my game!

I made a similar supplement to tackle traveling, just using different methods!

Related concept/food for thought: Learning from HEART: Give your scenes HP