Hex Crawling with HEARTS & EFFORT

homebrew

In an effort to hand wave exact distances for hexes and stuff in my home-brew world, as well as keep the feeling of an overland adventure or hex crawl in my game - I brewed up this method of using HEARTS and EFFORT for hex crawling.

Most of this is arbitrary, or existed in some form elsewhere! I decided on 3-rolls per-day because it felt right. I’ve also been a fan of The Black Hack’s usage die system, so I decided to use that instead of the base SUPPLY inventory rules (but those would still work just fine using this as well).

This is also based off of the HEARTS as Distance, EFFORT as Travel that Phil came up with (link in the comments!)

Finally, my plan is to make custom encounter and hunting & foraging tables based off each primary region my players are in (which is why they’re “missing” from this doc).

You can find the PDF here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MZPSB4RTWiAifeAO3Y-7nukrdMDuiqKG/view?usp=share_link

Here’s a preview:

Learning from HEART: Give your scenes HP
HEARTS as Distance, EFFORT as Travel
Game design book, Ryuutama, and thanks to Runehammer
Hitting the road

Here’s a link to @FilBot3’s HEARTS as Distance doc! HEARTS as Distance, EFFORT as Travel

simple but very well designed

Related concept/food for thought: Learning from HEART: Give your scenes HP

Oh wow. this is brilliant. Thank you!