Why no d10 Effort?

Not that I have an idea for a type of effort it could be, it just struck me as odd while working on a character sheet. It feels like there is a spot missing when laying out armor and effort next to the stats.

There is D10 Healing Effort in Altered State. :smirk:

Believe it was mentioned that it was because d10s had their place in loot rolls.

Oh right, so you always know to pick that die when rolling loot and not any other time, the principles of ICRPG Design. Makes sense.

I also think it helps make the Ultimate d12 feel more special. If I was rolling a 10 for let’s say magic, I wouldn’t focus much on loot that helps my crits but rather loot that just boosts my magic effort or something else. If that makes sense lol but yea I believe the loot roll was the reasoning.

One of the design principles of ICRPG is discreet uses for dice.

Another design principal is to adapt, homebrew and DIY what you need.

If you need something to do d10 effort, go for it.

Go crazy!

Because a d10 isn’t a platonic solid

You can always do a special thing, where you have d6 for physical, d8 for Magical, and d10 for Holy/Darkness elemental magic. Go wild.

I use them. I really overhauled the Effort/Damage system to suit my preferences. It all depends on what I want a PC or monster to be able to do. Is this assassin hyper efficient with their dual-wield daggers, they get a d8 or d10 of maybe a 2d4+2, it’s all about having variety for me. I like some enemies and PCs to be distinct. Do what you want, it’s your game, have fun!

Believe it was mentioned that it was because d10s had their place in loot rolls.

That would make sense. I kinda always assumed it was so you could use your D10 to count down a heart of HP.

It surely can, but for some reason I remember in my deep memories that exact reason being explained in a stream.

I use them for the PC character tokens, that way I know everyone’s health at a glace

this is the best best best answer

Brandish Gilhelm confirms my logic!

IA! IA!

Runehammer video ICRPG: Core Mechanics 16:26 and 16:45 more specifically.
The reason stated is not using dice for blended uses.
But also, there’s a huge thumbs up in the direction of “do whatever you want”. So go crazy. Just thought I’d reference the answer to the question.

Thank you very much.

So it was not only the voices in my head, yay!

Nope, you’re all good. Lol