Why is Fantasy TTRPG more popular, what am I missing?

This is an old question that popped up in my overworked brain. I apologize for asking this philosophical question yet again as I know it comes up every so often.

Fantasy TTRPG seems far more popular than Science Fiction TTRPGs. SF is also more of a visual consumption medium. After doing some digging, I came up with this:

The issue with scifi is that a single person does not invoke change. They cannot kill the necromancer nor the single bad monster which is causing issues with the local village and hence do not have the ability to become heroes. If the player characters kill off an entire squad of bad guys, who cares? There are six more platoons in the wings. SF is more subterfuge, politics and manipulation of military forces.

Am I off my tea kettle on this? Thoughts?

EDIT: Perhaps the better question to ask is, “Why are medieval settings so popular?”

The reason Sci-Fi doesn’t work for some people is that it’s usually very hardcoded to be Hard-Science and typically dystopian. This Hard-Science approach leads to very gray and realistic political implications that many people are trying to get away from. It will usually deal with Wars that become too real or discussions on resource management.

You can have popular games like Mothership or the Aliens RPG that are set in a sci-fi future, but in reality are Horror genre. Same can be said about Star Wars RPG: It is Fantasy, but in SPACE. There is some sort of wonder that fills the air in these games.

Regarding Medieval Fantasy, there is a lot of historical reference materials and much of early fantasy is derived from exaggerated history with splashes of magic (Think Conan and LOTR). Original D&D is derived from miniature war games, many of which are already derived from historical battles. This history has heavily influenced what comes out by allowing “WHAT IF” scenarios to play out. So then people start saying things like:

What if we were in Medieval France, BUT there were strange magic resources that are not understood that kingdoms fight for?

This gives us a lot of familiarity since we can reference a ton of resources and then we can discover the mystery and weirdness together. For Sci-Fi, it has to be more unique and it’s hard to envision it, so it is harder to focus on the game and wonder part. Games like Star Wars, Mothership, and Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells are not about the Hard-Science aspect of Science Fiction: they’re more about the Fantasy, Horror, or Wild Adventure with a futuristic background.

So I too have wondered this and I have a few ideas on the subject and I do plan to bring it up on one of the YouTube shows I run. My thoughts on the reasons are as follows:

•Fantasy typically takes place in some magical, mythical, or alternate past, it’s easy to discuss past concepts or how things may have been in a historical period or a fantasy-adjacent period. We have loads of literature about the past, the landscapes, and the people who lived in those times. Our knowledge of the past is becoming more complete through research and scientific processes.

•Science Fiction is a field that typically explores some far-off or not-to-distant futures, with shiny new technology or in the case of Star Wars a lived-in universe that’s old and rundown but still exploring and using technology far beyond anything we can understand here in our modern times. I posit that it is the lack of understanding of how the technology works coupled with individual players disagreeing with some of the pseudoscience involved.

•Additionally a lot of science fiction has appeared on the in media, and some people may or may not be caught up with or interested in the same science fiction.

[edit] SpicyVikingTofu you beat me to many of the same points…

@Jaide: Can you kick me a link to the video when you discuss it? I’d like to listen to it.
@SpicyVikingTofu: I have felt that Star Wars was actually fantasy for a while as well.

But what else am I missing? It can’t be just familaraity.

In both Star Trek and Star Wars – I will even add Stargate – the heroes change the world. This seems to one of the requirements. If an RPG could be built in such a way as to allow the heroes to change the world, would the same player reaction happen? Instead of a single player character, what if they were in charge of a small fleet? Instead of a ‘rogue’ as an individual, it would be a small fleet business that specializes in ‘information’.

Personally, I’m still not convinced. Fantasy still wins out over SF. I might knock something together, but I think I’ll focus on fantasy.

I think you nailed it. With Aliens, there are a couple of space marines or what-have-you trying to survive. That’s it. No galactic political asperations. It’s small and personal. Just like a dungeon dive.

Thank you to both of you!

Right on. Don’t get me wrong: there are players out there that like a political and war dense game that is complex. However, those are diehard fans of games like Robotech or something like RIFTS. Most players are casual and want to grasp on some familiarity and magic to get going!

it’s the Wild West, but with Caster Shells like Outlaw Star!

I’m definitely dating myself with that reference, but if you get it, then start that game!

And that is awesome because they make fantastic fans! When building something creative, you must know how large the market is. Knowing that there is a market, albeit small, is a good thing.

I’m going to put together some names lists. I’m hoping this week, but we’ll see. I’m planning on writing some Python code to do the random generation. Based on what was commented here, I’ll build it into a series of tables. I’ll keep you guys updated on this results.

Thanks for the input!!

My thought is there’s a certain universality to the fantasy thing nowadays. I find, especially trying to recruit new players who haven’t gamed before, that the pitch of dwarves and elves and swords and sorcery sells itself. Whereas if I run horror or sci-fi then I have folks who bounce off the genre.

Fantasy is kind of vanilla, in a good way. Vanilla pairs well with brownies, pies, cake, cookies, sprinkles.

I think it owes something to the inherited weight of 50 years now of fantasy gaming, plus the success of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones.

I think it’s also easier for people to just relax into the whole, “well a wizard did it,” mindset of fantasy. If you run sci-fi someone at the table feels like they need to explain faster than light travel or the laws of robotics or macro economics. If you run swords and sorcery, a wizard did it.

I think there’s accessibility to the trappings of fantasy as well. Not everyone is as familiar with the difference between proton torpedos and photon torpedos. But even if you aren’t familiar with Conan and Lankhmar, you have at least passing familiarity with swords and torches and clubs and cobblestones, enough to lower the barrier to entry for a fantasy game. Sci-fi is more niche and less accessible than fantasy in that way.

Last thought: there’s an embeddedness and subconscious familiarty with fantasy elements in at least the American cultural context (I won’t speak for others). The statute of liberty holds a torch. Lady justice holds a sword. Many organizations use a shield as a symbol. Our medical symbol is a staff. And so on.

All that said, maybe there’s an alternate universe where Traveller took over instead of D&D. Who knows where we’d be then!

Just like ‘Star Wars’ using biplanes as stand-ins for the Tie Fighters - the movement is something we can relate to. A sword is just a sword. Walk up to the baddie, hit it over the head. Simple and accessible.

Yet we have had firearms for how many generations? ‘Star Trek’ has been out since the 60’s. But the data is exactly what you stated.

This has been good thought provoking material for me. Thank you, all! Also Thank you for the line “the wizard did it”. I think I’ll steal that. :slight_smile:

Science Fiction does not necessarily need to involve mass combat. For one thing, Star Wars is really a fantasy franchise, not really science fiction, and aside from a few big set pieces, Star Wars revolves primarily around individual or small party combat.

But, why is Fantasy more popular than sci-fi in RPGs? A lot of it has to do simply with the fact that Dungeons & Dragons exists and captured the market 45 years ago. Back in the 1980s, I played both D&D and Traveller, and enjoyed both immensely. Our Traveller games certainly did not involve mass combat, and were effectively indistinguishable from our D&D games, save for the fact that we had a spaceship with stats of its own, and our D&D games did not typically involve vehicles or ships, though they could have. In Traveller, as in D&D, our party was a small party of 4-5 adventurers taking on scenarios that small parties could conceivably complete.

My suspicion is simply that Fantasy is more relatable to the human experience, as it roughly maps to a nostalgia, however anachronistic, for imagined past ways of life, and particularly to “The Hero’s Journey”, as described by Joseph Campbell, type plotlines, while sci-fi tends to require a much more complex civilization, and for the space-bound types of sci-fi, multiple such civilizations.

Then there is the fact that in sci-fi, we tend to demand more realism—unless you are a fan of Star Trek type technobabble—whereas in fantasy, we tend to elide realism in favor of “magic”, and at that point, literally anything goes. I actually demand as much realism from fantasy as I do from sci-fi, but that’s an individual preference that doesn’t apply to, I think, most fantasy aficionados.

Granted, as I noted earlier, a lot of what is considered to be “sci-fi” is really fantasy in disguise. If you really think about, the idea of spaceship combat is wildly unrealistic. Physics simply wouldn’t allow for it.

I’ve always found the idea that “vanilla” is equal to “plain”, or even “white”, to be confusing. Vanilla is one of the most prized and expensive spices in the world, cultivated painstakingly by hand from an exotic tropical orchid, almost exclusively by black and brown people, using a method developed by a young black slave. While the vanilla orchid flower is indeed a cream color, the actual product is itself dark brown to black in color.

Prior to vanilla becoming the most popular season for baked goods, it was rosewater that was used for the same purpose.

Isn’t it strange? Went from an expensive spice to a term meaning ‘generic’ or ‘common’.

My guess is this is tied to artificial flavors, but I have not researched it. My theory is by creating a cheap similar product, it allows the masses to experience this expensive spice. Due to high rate of contact, it is now considered “common”.

One of the thing that I enjoy from fantasy are the constraints: no radios, no cellphones, no cars & highways…

Trips are slow, the road to riches is difficult, there is a need to grow in fantasy that cannot be replicated in most other settings I feel.