What animal is a Hook?

question

In my quest to finish all animals of the megafauna entries in Blood and Snow, I don’t have the faintest idea of what animal a Hook is supposed to be. Don’t know if it’s common slang for some real species (like Sky Shadow, River Giant…) or just some hook (pun intended) for the GM to fill as he wishes. The only description is this:

The Mastodon, the Giant Sloth, and the Wooly Rhino are the only ones that came to my mind, but I can’t think of any of them as having a hateful temper, really. Maybe a type of wild boar?

Can someone point me in the right direction? There is a right direction?

Well, after a search online I couldn’t find anything. As such… I have no idea either! I’m thinking a predator bird, because talons are like hooks?

Hostile, crazed, appears in groups. The one animal I can think of that best fits this description is the piranha, but that doesn’t seem right for the setting. So a piranha-like creature befitting an ice age setting. Maybe a badger-like creature, but one worthy of the title “megafauna”.

Oh my gosh, do you know what it is? It’s an R.O.U.S.

The predator bird is a good suggestion, maybe a big flightless bird like an ostrich, always nervous and deranged… It would feel like having a velociraptors pack around… Humm…

It really could be no? And any megafauna rodent has potencial to be VERY unusual in size, haha.

I had the wild boar in mind because I was looking for something like a badger, but couldn’t make it up anything to linked with the hook name. At least the wild boar has the curled fangs, mean disposition and walk around in small groups/family.

I looked at the french translation of Blood and Snow, hoping to find some clues… but the french name for that encounter is “Crochus” (hooked, crooked), I’m afraid it won’t help !
Sorry… :wink:

« Crochu » seems to be slang for a bird of prey. At least that is the first result I got on my search engine. I cannot confirm this as I have never heard that term being used for a bird of prey.

Perhaps we’re looking at this wrong: don’t they have weird names in The Land Before Time?

My first thought was a group of giant Hookworms!! Both disgusting and terrifying LOL

Yeah, and going by elimination my bet is on the wooly rhino. It’s one of the most famous megafauna missing on the list after all. And that big horn could be called a hook without a doubt…

@Kindred :nauseated_face: :slight_smile:

something like this?

Then let’s go with a big wooly rhino! :smiley:

As in Crocodile maybe?

But the Spelling of Crocus is that of a type of Flora not Fauna. Its a violet flower of the Iris family.

My guess would be a prehistoric giant boar - the tusks being the “hooks”.

The boar it’s so good of an addition to the megafauna that I’ll add it too in the end. I’ll make a thread with each one, add the drawings and we can do the attacks and characteristics together, what do you think?

@The_Merlitron, @AxCrazy, @BlazingPolyhedron, @Jaide, @Kindred, @Coda69 >> Blood and Snow: Hook (Woolly Rhino) - Help me create