WEAPON TAGS for MASTER EDITION

homebrew

Originally a rule from ICRPG 1E/2E, WEAPON TAGS were removed from ICRPG MASTER EDITION, probably because they are not really necessary for the game. But I really like the idea of summarizing weapons with a few key words, so here are rules and effects for the TAGS that are original and were not found in previous books. I have already talked about this idea here, but since then I have expanded and changed a few things.

The full rules are below. The PDF on drivethru RPG is pay what you will, so fell free to download it for free if you wish.

BASIC TAGS
ALL weapons need one basic TAG. Start to create your weapon by answering the simplest question: do you want to hit in melee or not?
MELEE: Basic TAG. This weapon can only attack CLOSE enemies.
RANGED: Basic TAG. This weapon can attack NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE or FAR enemies.

ALL OTHER TAGS
AMMUNITION: Only applies to ranged weapons. On an attack roll roll of 1 your clip or quiver is empty and you need to take a TURN to recharge this weapon (provided you carry extra ammunition). The weapon occupies two inventory spaces (one for the weapon and one for a quiver or case for arrows, bolts, or bullets). Each extra quiver or case occupies one extra inventory space.
BLUNT: On a modified 18+ the victim is stunned for a ROUND (actions against a stunned target are EASY). Opponents that are not alive ignore this effect. This weapon can’t be FAST or PIERCING.
ENERGY: This weapon is highly advanced or magical and uses MAGIC & ENERGY EFFORT instead of WEAPON EFFORT. Any dice bonuses added to this weapon use a D10 instead of a D8.
EXOTIC: This unusual weapon requires a specific LIFE FORM,TYPE, or ABILITY to be properly used, at GM’s discretion. Anyone without the required trait won’t be able to use the weapon or will do so very badly.
FAST: On a modified 18+, attack again. This weapon can’t be BLUNT.
FINESSE: Use either STR or DEX (whichever you prefer) to make melee attacks with this weapon. This weapon can’t be HEAVY, LARGE, or VERSATILE.
GUN: This weapon is a gun and uses GUN & TECH EFFORT instead of WEAPON EFFORT. Any dice bonuses added to this weapon use a D8 instead of a D6.
HEAVY: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. If a weapon is both HEAVY and LARGE it deals +1D6 damage and takes up three inventory spaces.
LARGE: Takes up one more inventory space than normal and requires two hands to use. If a weapon is both LARGE and HEAVY it deals +1D6 damage and takes up three inventory spaces.
LIGHT: Causes -2 damage and can be used off-hand in two-weapon melee fighting without penalty. This weapon can’t be HEAVY or MARTIAL.
LOADING: Only applies to ranged weapons. This weapon needs to be reloaded after each shot. You need to give up your MOVE to reload it.
MARTIAL: Causes +2 damage. This weapon can’t be HEAVY or LIGHT. If the character is not a warrior-type or doesn’t have at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, all attacks with this weapon are HARD.
PIERCING: On a modified 18+, cause +1D4 bleeding damage. Opponents that are not alive or don’t bleed ignore this effect. This weapon can’t be BLUNT.
REACH: A melee weapon with this quality can attack NEAR enemies without penalty, but it’s a HARD roll against CLOSE enemies.
SIMPLE: Attack rolls with this weapon are never HARD. This weapon can never be FAST, HEAVY, LARGE, MARTIAL or VERSATILE.
THROWN: Can be thrown up to NEAR range without penalty.
VERSATILE: Can be used one or two-handed without penalties. Additionally, special effects attacks with this weapon (causing a different type of damage, disarming, sweeping, hitting a specific target, etc.) are never HARD.

CREATING WEAPONS USING TAGS
By mixing and matching the TAGS above you can create weapons that feel very different from each other when used in game. For example:

A common dagger is [melee, fast, finesse, light, thrown]. This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6-2 damage, can attack again on a modified 18+ attack roll, can equip the weapon off-hand, and can use either STR or DEX to make attack rolls with it.
A broadsword is [melee, finesse, martial]. This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6+2 damage and can use either STR or DEX to make attack rolls with it. If the character using this weapon is not a “warrior-type” or doesn’t have at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, all attacks are HARD.
A longbow is [ranged, ammunition, large, martial, piercing]. This means a combatant with this weapon causes 1D6+2 damage and +1D4 bleeding damage on a modified 18+ attack roll. The weapon takes up two inventory spaces, plus one for ammunition. If the character using this weapon is not a “warrior-type” or doesn’t have at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, all attacks are HARD. On the other hand, a smaller hunting bow can be [ranged, ammunition, large, piercing] is easier to use, but it causes only 1D6 damage (and +1D4 bleeding damage on a modified 18+ attack roll). It still needs two inventory spaces to be carried, plus one for ammunition.
A wizard wand is [ranged, energy, exotic]. An extremely unusual weapon, it fires energy shots that deal 1D10 damage, but it requires advanced training in arcane magic to be properly used. Only “mage-type” characters can safely wield it.

You can also use the TAGS to create “evolutions” of similar weapons, making them a little different in each “stage”. For example.

The humble staff is [melee, simple]. A combatant with this weapon causes 1D6 damage and the attacks are never HARD. With a sharpened edge, it becomes a spear [melee, simple, piercing], capable of adding +1D4 bleeding damage on a modified 18+ attack roll. Make it more balanced and we have the throwing spear [melee, simple, piercing, thrown], which can be thrown to NEAR range without penalty; instead of that, you may choose to make it longer, obtaining a long spear [melee, simple, piercing, reach] that can attack enemies within NEAR range without penalty (but attacks against CLOSE enemies are hard). Finally, you may decide to make your spear bulkier and harder to use, but that much more powerful, obtaining a war spear [melee, martial, piercing, reach]. The weapon now deals 1D6+2 damage, but if the character using it is not a “warrior-type” or doesn’t have at least +1 STR or +1 DEX, all attacks are HARD.

SUGGESTED RULES AND CLARIFICATIONS
ICRPG is generally very simple: you have a sword, so it deals 1D6 (Weapon Effort) damage, right? But what if it’s a magic sword? Will it do 1D10 (Magic Effort) damage?
As everything else, that’s up to GM and Players to decide, but here’s some general ideas.
MAGIC as a TAG: Instead of changing the damage, a magic piece of equipment can simply be able to deal damage to creatures that can be only harmed by magic.
MAGIC as an EFFORT: Powerful artifact-level weapons can instead deal MAGIC EFFORT damage directly, changing its damage die from D6 or D8 to D10 (“Enchanted guns? Madness, I tell you, madness!”)
WHAT EFFORT BONUS TO USE: At GM’s discretion, the character can use the best EFFORT BONUS for each situation. For example, a character with WEAPON EFFORT +4 but MAGIC EFFORT +1 welding a magic sword that uses MAGIC EFFORT for damage could roll a D10 but still add the +4 damage from the WEAPON EFFORT. Inversely, if the MAGIC EFFORT damage were higher, the character could add that instead.

I get where you are coming from and can see how these TAGs will attract to people who like to have codified mechanical rules. Saying that, I have a different approach to this as for me a bow is just a weapon and does not need to have a TAG attached to it to tell me it is a ranged weapon. It is that by definition. Same for a sword or warhammer - there’s no need to codify this.

If a weapon is special, then it starts with a story, a background, something that I can use in a scene describing by actions or yelling out its name to boost my character’s confidence. Will it make a mechanical difference? Probably not, except if the GM finds it cool and makes the roll EASY. If my bow shoots cold iron arrow tips, I can hurt magical beings by definition, if this is part of the LORE.

A weapon’s attributes should come from the story and the setting, the lore, not necessarily from TAGs. What makes sense in one setting might not apply in an other.

Many of your TAGs actually make great one-line descriptions for a named weapon. I understand you want to simplify the process, but unless you come up with dozens and dozens of different weapons, ask the question if this is really necessary?
The players will probably have one or two weapons each, so why not make them really cool by coming up with a story for those and add some specialities? And who really cares if the enemies abide to the same weapon rules in a combat, when combat is not really balanced in ICRPG anyways?

Rather than micro-manage all weapons, we try to make some weapons stand out - that way we create a story, an adventure, and we add to the Lore. Create named and special weapons for LOOT tables; this will add to the WONDER and players will remember the time ‘when they found the Glowing Hammer of Krull, ripping it from the slain Orc’s bloodied hands’.

My ICRPG game is rules light and I add rules where I need them but don’t want to have rules for everything as they drag down game speed. Rule #2: I WILL REMEMBER EVERYTHING. :wink:

Then again it is your game and what works for me might not work for you; I just wanted to give a different opinion. :slight_smile:

Hey, Rob!

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The DIY spirit of the game is what keeps bringing me back to it. And it’s that same spirit that makes people want different things, including more “codified mechanical rules”, as you (very well) put it. In some games/settings/moments/nights I prefer the same approach you have; in others, or with different Players, I prefer the approach above.

And that is the beauty: no two games need to be the same! :grin::+1:

Definitely :slight_smile:

And in this case in particular, I might have failed to explain where the rules for weapon tags came from - we were playing in a no-to-very-low magic setting, where variations in combat and strategies were* much more important than in standard ICRPG settings.

And in that case I would actually do a similar approach, as this system is adding some ‘dials’ the players want to tune. Depending on setting I would add more or less of those tags.