Warp Shell weapon capacity?

Hey up (again) - sooooo, I got my first session of ICRPG Cyberpunk 3535 next Wednesday, and pulling together a list of starter loot, gear and weapons I realise I have no idea what a weapon’s “capacity” means.

Not actual ammo, surely - because what’s different between a single shot, a three-round burst or a full-auto spray mechanically, other than wasting all your ammo?

Number of rounds of firing at maximum effectiveness? But what if a PC wants to just do covering fire?

Or, am I just going waaaaaay too granular?

Help!

Covering fire — enemies roll DEX against TN or lose their next turn. Shooter’s gun is now empty and takes a round to reload. Requires something with a big magazine capacity. Does not do damage; just makes the enemy take cover!

Burst fire — HARD roll to deal 3d6 to a single target. Requires a gun with a bigger clip size like an assault rifle.

Unload - empty your gun at a single target for ULTIMATE; on a fail your gun is still empty. You are holding down the trigger!

Don’t track ammo in any other way. It is boring and takes away from the game.

That’s my house rule for the cyber hack I have been messing around with.

@BigGrump Frikkin awesome! Thanks for that. Muchly appreciated! :grin::+1:

Yep. Only did one test run with my son. I wrote those on his character sheet. That way HE controlled the rules rather than me constantly reminding him about it as an option. Way easier that way. I gave him an assault rifle and then listed those as bullet points under the gun.

@BigGrump Thinking about it, I think I’ll make a 3-round burst EASY at near - more lead in the air, more chance to hit, but HARD at far. This is riffing off the original Cyberpunk 2020 idea. But thanks for steering me in the right direction…

It is up to you BUT a 3-round controlled burst is no joke. 3d6 in a 10 effort game (+) weapon bonus can be a dead enemy each round on easy. Making it hard makes the player weigh the risk vs. the environment and gives a big pay out on success. It also takes away the “and he does a burst, and she does a burst, and…” while ultimate every game should be about success and moving the story forward, this one can be a bit OP without some kind of a limiter.

Ah, yeah. Groovy. I guess I was thinking of making the shots easier rather than doing more damage. The down side to using more ammo only has an impact if you’re counting rounds, which I don’t want.

So, I’ll bow down to your greater ICRPG wisdom and experience and try the gun rules as you originally presented them.

Thanks for your advice - I’ll be posting to say how I get on! :metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

@Ezzerharden And thanks for this evocative example! Really helped focus my decision! :metal::grin::+1:

I made homebrews rules for the weapons in the Ghost mountain universe, using weapons Tags rather than player skills.
I assume that players ans npc are regular shooters, and the “special tricks” came from guns whereas characters skills. And possibilities are easy to read for players… “be carefull this guy carry a machinegun !”

For example a lever action Winchester get the “lever action” tag.
“Lever action” : DEX check After a shot. Make a second HARD shot this turn.
Another one : top break revolver.
“Top break” : HARD DEX check, reload use no time.
A last one : double barrel shotgun.
“Double barrel” : up to 2 shot per turn.

Ace! Thanks for those. :metal: