Using Mana in ICRPG

inspiration

Hello everyone!

I would love to share with you all a thought I’ve been having lately. I’m thinking about using mana in rpg mage class. The mechanics would work like that (feel free to criticize and point out any flaws).

The mage class would start with 4 mana + wis modifier to his or her pool.

This mana would be parallel to the players hitpoints, once empty the mage would start using hitpoints to cast as usual.

The mana can be replenish as follows:
long rest (full replenish)
short rest (half replenish)
potions 1d6 points per potion
after combat 1d4 points +wis modifier

Thinking about manaburn ability that exchange mana for hit points or advantage in combat but I dont want mages to be too powerful.

What do you think? I’m happy to hear your thoughts.

Your shieldwall brother

Diego

Should check out ICRPG Vigilante City, it the super heroes themed supplement. It has a similar system where each player has a heart’s worth of special points the sups consume to use their special powers. The SP heart system in the supplement has rulings for how many points are consumed and how to recharge them.

As for your 4mana + wis system. I like it. Tho I’d let them roll maybe CON to recover MP back instead of a rest personally.

Hey! This is a good idea! I see that you are on the same track as the MAGIC book is where HP can be used as Mana.

For simplicity, I would recommend having 1 :heart: of Mana.

Players use Mana based on how powerful the spell is or how much power the affect is.

When they run out of Mana, they start taking damage as SPELLBURN and it keeps draining their HP. They can only recover Mana through special in-game loot, rituals, or quests! This means that if a caster needs to regain their safe source of power, they can’t just rest up and be good, but has to go on a quest, have an in-game ritual that asks them to get involve with the world.

I use mana in my game. I start out by giving the casters an equal amount of mana hearts to their hp hearts. so far its worked pretty good. Now that being said i did mess up and tell them that a lesser healing potion will restore 1 mana heart, now my caster just buys up every mana potion he finds. which is kinda frustrating.

Cool! So there is a heavy supply of Mana Potions. This means that prices go up and scarcity goes up.

Unless there are hundreds of magic users always consuming mana and having a solid supply, they aren’t going to be coming out like Cokes on a conveyor belt.

There is an interesting story to be told there!

• Where do these mana sources come from?
  • Are there better and cleaner sources that are harder to find or harvest from? (Meaning more effective and expensive)
  • Are there cheaper alternatives?
  • Are they just as effective or are they weaker
  • Are there corrupted alternatives?
  • Is the black market selling versions of mana that can harm the casters (Like laced drugs)?
  • Is there a new version of mana pots that are available that may be made by harming others? (Think Fullmetal Alchemist and the Philospher Stone)

you sir just made me a happy dwarf.

A CASK OF GAR FOR A MANA POT!!!