The Secrets of Felstad - Welcome to the Frozen City

session-report

Hi everyone!

So, today happened the first game of a campaign called “The Secrets of Felstad”, based upon Frostgrave very loosely, mainly for the Frozen City setting. I based the adventure on Devious Dimensions, the one in MAGIC, so I’ll try to be as spoiler-less as I can.

The game was awesome and I thought to share what happened with you!

I started with all characters - a Shifting (Human) Entity, an Intuitive (Human) Witch, a Scholar (Xill) Wizard, and an Elf-Kind Arcane Archer - locked up in Splinter, arrested for some arcane crime related to finding the Frozen City of Felstad, in the Hidden Imperium of Calabraxis. Then the prison was shaken to its core with a magnanimous explosion, as The Traveler escaped its cell! It rushed past the characters a blur of arcane energy, and destroyed the first Ring in its path, taking a piece of it to carve a Portal into the air and escape.

The destruction of the closest Ring shook the suspended cells where the players were, and opened their doors. The group had to jump from one falling cell to another, avoiding those prisoners gone mad in seclusion trying to claw at them, reaching the first portal with the aid of a Doorway Chalk portal.

In the fiery room, they really took a beating. Two characters went down to 1HP here, victims of the atmosphere and the ever-coming enemies. If it wasn’t for the Crow Form spell created by the Shifting Entity, they would have surely perished! (Power increases brought her size up; Power IV was a huge flying beast that could carry everyone, but she can’t revert back at will.)

In the next room, since they were so beaten up, I gave them a moment to rest (LIFT THEM UP, THEN VANISH)… but they didn’t. At 1 HP, they charged through the next portal without much of a thought. They landed on the dark hall, where the Wizard traded his Wizard’s Blade for passage just before the Entity used her rolled LOOT, Oil of Redemption, and a crazy lucky CHA Roll to turn one of the guards from evil to good… a chance which I obviously took, turning him from Demon to Angel and making him engage his brethren in combat (and healing the group in the process).

In the desert, they miscalculated their Timers and ended up having to freefall into the door for the next room. Here most of them used sheer creativity and good rolls to go through, but the Wizard rolled a 1 in his spell roll and a 2 in his DEX Attempt, which had him grasping not to die. At the last moment, he managed to roll a nat 20 on a Doorway spell and get himself out of a horrible death.

Since I had added a room in the beginning, I cut the last one and had them fall into Felstad at last, seeing before them a path of destruction carved by The Traveler. The chilling cold of primordial ice made them seek shelter, which they found in an old wizard shop; there they scored some cool LOOT through investigation and got some rest… until the current denizens of the thousand-year-old city entered their haven, weapons in hand, and where we ended the session.

Hope you guys enjoy it, get some inspiration from it, or lend me some for next game! I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!

A group entirely of casters can really do wondrous and bonkers stuff!

Sounds like a lot of fun (and peril). Like GMagnus said, a party full of casters can be brutal.

Honestly if they had gone purely as the book says to create characters, they would have perished.

The characters were all created with 7 points to distribute, got 2 random LOOT to start (one from MAGIC table, one from EPIC table), and 2 extra CORE spells.

The Arcane Archer got these and 2 CORE spells as she is not a focused spellcaster, but a rounded arcane archer - she can shoot spells as arrows from her bow, using INT to do so.

Next games will involve me trying to offer rooms inspired on scenarios from the wargame - let’s see how that’ll turn out, and how The Traveler will stay relevant as the villain!