The re-roll mechanic

homebrew
inspiration

Hi all,

While looking at Runehammer’s newish game C&S, I was intrigued by the ‘use X to absorb damage’ rule. Since the game itself is not for me (due to the small groups I usually play with, we are unable to cover all the skills needed for a successful adventure), but I like to implement the idea of using items as a mechanical benefit, I came up with the following concept:

Players can use their equipment to mitigate some game effects. They can cross off (read: destroy) one item in their possession in order to:

• re-roll a die; any die, but the new result stands
  • lower the room target by 3, even after the roll (make the roll EASY)
  • reduce damage by BASIC effort

This actually adds some tactical element to the game, while still adding some uncertainty. I’ll only allow this, though, if the player can deliver a nice narration of the effort and how it affects the item and situation in question.

Any thoughts? Have you done a similar thing in the past?

In our games, when nothing seems to be going right for the PCs, and I can sort of sense that the whole table is seeking a miracle, I will sometimes allow a “devil’s bargain,” where players might seek, among other things, to sac gear in order for the group to gain some momentum or save an ally in dire straights. It usually goes something like this, “Hey Alex, I’d like to try to overload the fuel cell of my prized blaster and turn it into a bomb of sorts ….” And then, we would talk about consequences of failure and success. Usually, these moments have high gravitas, and the whole table kind of “leans in” to the moment. So yes, I do allow those sorts of sacrifices.

That being said, I think I would be careful making it a universal rule. Once players have it as a “rule” at your table, I think you’ll find them gunning for those moments a bit. i.e., you’ll start to hear all sorts wild arguments for sacrificing gear, and maybe in moments and story beats of the fiction that aren’t as universal and bit more self-serving. After that, you’ve introduced a sort of loot churn in your game that you’ll have to be mindful of as a DM.

Instead, I would probably try to skin this with other consumables: hero coins, devil’s luck, surge/grit, potions, etc.

Nonetheless, I think it can work, but for me, I think the downsides would outweigh the positives once you make it an all-the-time option and less rare. Because, once you codify it, be prepared for it to get used. lol

You might be right there … using my idea as a GM guideline on ‘how to give players options on a failed roll’ is more sensible, than making it an open rule for the players to rely on. I think I like that idea better, using my suggestion as a tool in my box which I’ll break out if the situation or narrative justifies it. :slight_smile: