The Lockwood Grimoire: Dim Mirror of Faith

spells
int
lockwood
grimoire

Dim Mirror of Faith
INT spell (Level II Demon)

This spell allows arcane spellcasters to use INT to replicate any WIS-based spell, power, or ability that has targeted the caster with EFFORT in the last day (i.e., since the last long (approximately 8-hour) rest).

For example, a Mage recently healed by a Priest with Healing Touch (ICRPG ME, p. 48) can cast DMoF, and with a successful INT roll on each attempt the Mage can replicate the effects of that WIS-based spell with identical parameters until the next day (or long rest) or until three (3) attempts result in failure, at which point the WIS spell is lost.

Conversely, a Mage merely witnessing Healing Touch (but not the target of its EFFORT) cannot clone the WIS spell; likewise WIS-based spells, powers, or abilities that do not do EFFORT (e.g., Forager, ICRPG ME, p. 49) cannot be cloned.

DMoF allows only one WIS-based spell to be cloned at a time by an arcane spellcaster; if a subsequent WIS power is cloned with the spell, the first WIS power is lost.

Notes:

1. Rules as written, this spell has no POWER level upcast. Theoretically, since all of the WIS spelled cloned by DMoF produce EFFORT, some GMs might consider allowing POWER level become an EFFORT multiplier, i.e., a spell that does D8 (or D10) MAGICAL damage at POWER level 1 would do 4D8 (or 4D10) damage at POWER level 4–and the casting cost would be 8 HP instead of 2.
  2. With this spell, the Priest may become the Mage’s new BFF—not only a healer but also a walking spellbook!
  3. With the option discussed in #1 above, there is wonderful potential for the Priest and the Mage to develop a magical “fastball special “…
  4. Peruse the unseen pages of the Lockwood Grimoire.