The Art of Building Short Scenes

Hey Shieldwall,

I’m playing around 3-4 hours per session with my group and I’m always prepping too much. I focused on having 5 rooms/scenes per adventure (and multiple adventures within the campaign). But each scene/room (especially those without explicit combat) are dragging to around 1h, so I’m unable to fit 5 scenes in 3-4 hours of game night.

My players have a blast, the tension is high, but I feel like I’m prepping “too much” or too large room/scenes. Hence I’m looking for some advice on how to build shorter scenes. I always find myself bridging between the rest of the last session and the new adventure section, which often leads to two sessions (ending the last, beginnung the next; and playing the core part and finish of the new one).

My goal is to allow my sessions to be concluded in itself without delaying the climax or even resolution to the next game night. Sure, having a good cliffhanger and raising new questions makes my players return to the (virtual) table, but I feel like I want to improve my craft.

Greetings
glocke

Do you have reason to think your players need the session climax/solution every time you play? How often are your game sessions? You say your players are having a blast…is that only because of the climax of the final “scene”? I imagine the smaller ebb and flow of the first fourish scenes have a lot to do with it.

Honestly, it sounds like you’re doing a good job.

I’d also like to master the single-session dungeon, somethink I know I can wrap up in one session.

We’re playing twice a month.

It’s more like I want to make the entire thing “round”… like watching an episode of a TV show: they are often concluded in itself. My players are having a blast during the entire session.

I’m always struggling for more :smiley:

From the sounds of it @glocke, you’re doing an excellent job running those sessions. Having a tension-filled blast would satisfy most GMs but I totally understand the desire to keep pushing yourself and raise the bar just a little higher so take a hero coin :herocoin:!

I don’t consider myself an authority on this, but I’ve been running consistent two-hour sessions, each with 3-5 rooms over the last few months, and here are some of the things I’ve noticed that help:

1. Player Expectations

Upfront, we knew the time frame we were aiming for. 2 hours. I’m running these in the morning for most of my players, so we’re trying to get in a good game at the start of the day and that’s motivating. Each of us knows that our time is limited and so we’ve set that expectation that the 2 hours we have is the time to play. Be thinking of your turn beforehand, be familiar with the rules, and keep moving. We moved all of our social chatting and catch-up to either just before the session or during the week through text channels.

2. GM Expectations

Knowing that my time is limited I have to make sure that I leave the majority of the time to my players so they can get a satisfying game in. That means I’m expected to have a clear grasp of the rules, can make quick calls, and that my turns are relatively simple. I’ve resorted to Monster AI Flowcharts and Tactics Roll to make quick decisions on what enemies do or sometimes my entire turn is just ticking down the timer, saying a quick line about the environment, and throwing it back to the players.

3. Room Variety

I am a huge fan of the 5 Room Dungeon method, although I don’t adhere to the exact order all the time. Knowing that this room is the Conflict room or the Trick room keeps me focused on what the point of that room is and to get to it as fast as possible. If there is a fight in the room, we’re going to fight like… now. If there is a reward in there, you’re going to know about it pretty much the moment you walk in. This helps me keep the pace moving as we flow from one beat to another.

4. Mental Schedule

Before each session, I make a mental note of what time I want to hit each room. 15 minutes in, I’d like to move out of the first room. 45 minutes in I want to be entering the climax encounter. 90 minutes in, we should be wrapping up the climax and heading into the finale/conclusion. I don’t adhere to this strictly because I don’t want to stifle the game, but if notice that the opening encounter took 45 minutes instead of 15, then I go back and look at what caused it and adjust for the next session.

5. Simple Beats

These were my session notes for my latest game, and I try to keep each encounter to simple beats. If I can hit those simple beats then I consider the room a success and we’re ready to move on whenever the story and players are ready. There is definitely improv involved and sometimes I have more details, but my idea is to hit the beat and don’t linger longer than I have to.

I don’t know if this answers your question, or I’m just talking your ear off, but this is really good topic and if you had an example, I’d love to work through some designs too.

I run 2hr sessions for my Altered State group - 3 all new to RPG players - and honestly we probably get 90minutes of play time as we’re all catching up and being generally social. My prep lasts FAR longer than I expect

This map took us 4 sessions to get thru even though I expected it to be just 2. Heck the bottom left room - with target 10 - had NO foes in it and acted as a setup for the techno zombos in the next room … oh well.

No one seemed to mind when we paused at the end of session - usually at a door as those do make great “to be continued…” points

My next session I’m hoping to be more “self contained” but honestly that’s just tough to figure out as you can’t always predict how players are going to interact with or ignore content. I’ll have try and borrow from Kane’s write up …

regardless as long as you and your players are having fun not finishing a dungeon is fine - also means you don’t have to do much more to be prep’ed for the next session.

Sounds like you’re doing a great job @glocke

but if you want to speed things up, I personally found that reducing enemy Health, but increasing their damage output sped up my combat encounters a lot which kept taking up the most time each of my sessions.

Also keep in mind the number of enemies you throw at the PCs and their ability to handle swarms of enemies.

try adjusting these values each session till you find the sweet spot, for me personally I’ve halved my enemy HP and doubled their damage output from my original numbers.

Hey @glocke, great question. To frame my response, it helps to know that I use the “amusement park” method for my campaigns. Players can go anywhere within the park, but once they hop on a ride, that ride is on rails for a bit. When my players choose a ride (a hook, arc, or thread in the story), then I generally prep at least 3 rooms for that ride, which is approximately 3 hours of play. If you’re running an hour per room, I think you’re right in the sweet spot, and so I don’t think you have to adjust your scenes.

If three rooms is about three hours, then we conclude the session with that ride ended, and in between sessions, players can tell me where they want to go next, depending on the clues/hooks on the prior ride. Or, I might foist events on them (there’s trouble over at the log flume), and then next session we’re back on track for another 3 rooms/3 hours of play.

However, it’s possible a ride/story arc might be 5 or 6 rooms, depending on the scenes I have imagined. If that is the case, then at the end of 3 hours, I’ll roll the session end die, and give players 1d4 rounds to finish off the night (no matter where we are), with the last round always “the final frame in the comic,” where players describe their parting freeze frame. I am also always on the hunt for a natural cliffhanger in the story around the 3 hour mark. If a player drops, goes off a cliff, walks into a room with a dragon rising to full height, or some other memorable moment, I’ll just call the session end right then and there. There’s nothing like leaving everyone wanting just a little bit more. So, don’t be afraid to end your session where it’s at.

I’m also a big fan of the Runehammer room method, so I am always planning my scenes in rooms of 3, alotting about an hour per room. In that vein, if you end up with 5 rooms, you might just bump it up to 6 and spread across two sessions; or you might be a savage in terms of self-editing and reduce down to 3 (we only need the entrance to Moria; the troll attack; and the balrog fight, and we can omit the hallway); or you might run with the first 3 rooms, see what your players give you during the night, then adjust from there for next session (in this vein, it’s nice to have a little extra in the notebook for next week and a jump on the prep); or you might just run 3 rooms one session and only 2 rooms the next session and just call a session early, especially if they just finished the mini-boss or climax (“guys, that’s all I have planned for this arc; where are we headed next week?”). Sometimes those short sessions give you a chance to do a mini tribunal and check in with your players to see if everyone is still having fun.

I think by now you’re seeing that I follow a regimen of 3 hours of content a session, roughly, and I don’t feel pressure to go beyond that on the clock, wherever the story happens to be. I find that inattention starts to creep in after 3 hours, and folks begin to get antsy. So, there’s nothing wrong with calling it at that point or even ending early if you don’t have anything else planned. There’s no need to put undue pressure on yourself. Especially if players hit a big climax, just end it there, let everyone regroup in chat, and pick back up the following week. Also, by now, you’re probably picking up the fact that I am more concerned about the clock and less concerned about the planned content. I can always work ahead a couple of rooms.

Sometimes you might have a single room that takes all three hours. That’s awesome if you end up on one giant battle map for the night. Or maybe in 3 hours, players knock out 4 rooms. That’s awesome if they do. Then, I just regroup, figure out where we are on the ride and within the amusement park and then adjust from there.

A tough scenario might be if next session is the one room climax, and then you know you’ll need a couple rooms beyond that to round out the next night of play. In that situation, I might just chat with my players, “Hey, if you defeat the dragon, are you headed to follow up at the log flume or will you be headed off to the teacups?” I let them know honestly that I’ll need a consensus, so I can prep for next session. Or, I’ll dig deep and think of one or two rooms that logically follow the dragon fight. “Oh, you thought that was the climax? It’s actually escaping the dragon’s caves as the room collapses and the ropers try to pull you in!”

In any event, I think if you follow a similar method and then focus on the session end time as your polar star, you’ll find you can adjust the content you have planned to fit with just a little bit of figuring during the in-between times. And who knows, with some killer final frames, cliffhangers, and planned climaxes, you might just up the excitement of your sessions as a byproduct. In any event, those are my most cogent thoughts on this great question. Hit me up on discord if you want to discuss at length.

Rethinking how not to "railroad" players

Just dropping wisdom bombs all over the place! :bomb:

I’ve heard people mention the Amusement Park method multiple times now. Where did that come from?

Hank talked about the “waterslide of action” (or something similar).

I don’t know who coined the term originally, but I have plagiarized the expression. It fits exactly the way I have always played, and I have found it to be an apt expression for how I run a campaign usually. And it fits with Hank’s philosophy on giving nodes and choices like in Super Mario 3.

The waterslide refers to the end of a campaign, if you chunk it up. Usually you have an opening that is DM-driven on rails where events are forced on players. Then a middle game where the game is a little bit more sandboxy. Then an ending where it’s DM-driven again and back on rails (the waterslide) as players crash into the big bad at the end and save the world.

I find the mental schedule so important! When I have a real-world duration in mind for a scene, and I notice we’re passing that mark, my mind automatically goes into resolution-mode: “what’s the scene’s beat (read: dramatic question)? What’s the quickest path towards resolving it? Go.”