The 3 Scene Setup - Quick Adventure Building

inspiration

Greetings, Shield Brothers
With everyone and their grandma doing 5 room dungeons, I just thought I’d share another quick and easy method of building dungeons/adventures, which I’ve used for decades.

The 3 Scene Setup
Now, this shouldn’t really be news to most of you awesome peeps out there, since this method has been used since the dawn of time by cavemen telling stories. Then the greeks ripped off the cavemen, Shakespeare ripped off the greeks, and now every school teacher drills this stuff into us from a young age.

We all know that a story has 3 acts. A beginning, a middle, and an ending. We also know that the beginning is the Introduction, the middle is where everything goes to hell, and the ending is where the good guys win in the end. But for the purposes of this excercise we will phrase it like this:

• Scene 1. - Introduction
  • Scene 2. - Trouble
  • Scene 3. - Climax

Now, I use this to map out any location/dungeon/adventure. Most of the time, three reasonably fleshed out scenes will encompass about an evening of play. Sometimes we can fit in more, but three scenes isn’t unrealistic, and if we have less, we really don’t fulfill the 3 acts required for a complete story… At least that’s what my litterature and drama teachers kept yelling at me.

Yeah yeah, we all know this stuff. How does it help us build a dungeon, like the 5 room dungeon method does?

Thanks for asking. So kind of you. Here’s how:

SCENE 1 - THE INTRODUCTION
This scene is where you set the theme, atmosphere, present the type of characters (monsters) the heroes are going to face, and tease the trouble ahead.

SCENE 2 - THE TROUBLE
This scene is where the proverbial doo-doo hits the ventilation system. Or as good ol’ George Lucas said; Put the heroes in the worst possible situation. And it worked for Empire Strikes Back, so dammit, we will use it too.

SCENE 3 - THE CLIMAX
This is it. The big evil bad guy is right in front of you. Everything is at stake. Will you rise to new heights in the face of evil, or will you meet the fate of bleeding out on the cold stony dungeon floor?

Now, you can think of each of these Scenes as dungeon rooms. Our supreme overlord H. Ferinale already has some wicked cool advice on Room Design. If you haven’t watched his videos yet, then stop reading and go watch them. I’ll wait.
Done?
Excellent. Let’s continue.

Each Scene could also be a separate location in an adventure. A series of events. Anything really. You could even have 3 locations in your adventure, with 3 scenes each. All of them following the simple 3 Scene Setup.

So let’s do a complete 3 Scene Adventure with a sinlge 3 Scene Dungeon to get the Ball rolling. And with Alex & Hankerin’s new Altered State rules out, let’s do a Cyberpunk adventure to get you jacked in and running for your life.

THE KINKARU VAULT
SCENE 1 - INTRODUCTION
“THE CIRCUIT”

• A back alley watering hole for runners and adventurers.
  • The players are approached by a retired runner, who never gave up on finding the mythical Kinkaru Vault. But being too old, he sells the heroes on the idea of finding the vault over a couple of cold Neo-Zizzle beers.
  • But in the Circuit, the walls have ears, and a group of greedy runners want to beat the heroes to the punch.

SCENE 2 - TROUBLE
“THE STREETS”

• The heroes are engaged with the rival runners in a high speed death race.
  • The rivals want to stop the heroes and steal the data on the vault, or if that fails, follow them to the vault and get hit them again.

SCENE 3 - CLIMAX
“THE KINKARU VAULT”
This is it. The Climax of the adventure. And let’s do a 3 Scene Dungeon.

ROOM 1 - INTRODUCTION
“THE DESCENT”

• No one ever found the vault because it’s hidden deep beneath the ground. The heroes will need to make a harrowing descent into the depths beneath the city.
  • The entire descent is a battle against gravity and flesh eating mutant plants. What the hell were they keeping in the vault?
  • If the rivals followed the heroes here, the descent is even more deadly. Unless you let the mutant plants eat them all, just to showcase what lies ahead. This is the introduction after all.

ROOM 2 - TROUBLE
“THE GREENERY”
Getting to the vault was the easy part. Now it’s time to put the heroes in deep.

• Getting the vault door open is an extended task. They need to cut the huge heavy door free from mutated man eating vines, crack the lock, and open the heavy door.
  • At the same time, the overgrown walls are trying to eat them.
  • And mutated humanoid plantoids are dropping in from everywhere on a timer, attacking with poisonous barbs and strangling roots.
  • Maybe even add hallucinogenic spores. Why not? We don’t want to make it easy.
  • No room is complete without a TREAT! See that Pyroclastic Purification system? If only there was a way to activate it!

ROOM 3 - THE CLIMAX
“THE SEED ROOM”
This is where it all began. Some twisted experiment in mutagenic plantlife. No one knows why, or how. But here it is. Let’s NOT make the world Green Again!

• Big bad Plant Boss - THE HUMONGUS FUNGUS! This thing has several large grappling vines, that could flatten a truck. Cut them off to get to the Eye stalk and kill that thing.
  • More Plantoids keep pouring in on a timer.
  • More hallucinogenic spores! At least you know what’s producing them… The HUMONGUS FUNGUS!
  • Let’s add a TREAT! How about a couple of Mech Frames like the ones from Aliens? But with huge dual CHAINSAWS!!! If only you could get to them!
  • And finally the REWARD. Maybe the super nourishing fertile waters that kept these plants alive for centuries is worth drinking for an extra HEART.

So… This is how I use the classic 3 Scene Setup to build adventures and dungeons.
Now go kill some Plantoids!

• Meadbeard

Love what you’ve done here. Brilliant use of the 3 Act structure as Fractal within itself for Act 3. I am so going to steal that. And that it’s new ultra ranch flavored sexy Altered State cyberpunk is way cool. I’m excited at what AS brings to the table in terms of mechanics, play style, and flavor.

Really well presented, great example!

Interesting read! How long would it take to play a scenario like this?

About an evening. 3-4 hours.
You could even just run the last scene - the actual vault - without all the other stuff, and you could still fill out an evening of play, and still have 3 scenes for a full story.

Here’s another example.
The players decide to ignore the old timer, and would rather go mess around with this Vampire Syndicate Crime Lord you casually mentioned 20 sessions ago. Dammit. I need insta-prep something.
Alright, here goes…

VAMPIRE SYNDICATE CRIME LORD HQ
SCENE 1 - INTRODUCTION.

• How about an annoyingly attractive and super deadly front desk receptionist. You ain’t got an appointment? You ain’t getting in. Oh! And she’s a psychic and a vampire assassin with sick Katana skills.
    It sets the scene, theme, presents the types of dangers they will face… good introduction.

SCENE 2 - TROUBLE

• Ah, this one is easy. Throw black armored SWAT Ghouls at them, and a couple of security systems (ie. Traps!). A few locked doors, and we’re golden.

SCENE 3 - CLIMAX

• Vampire Lord Ashenface McEvil is in his penthouse office with his personal cyber enhanced SWAT Ghoul bodyguards, and his pet Dragonling. The sun sets in d6 rounds, so there’s a treat if you are fast.
  • We also need a reward, even if the stupid players don’t deserve it, after forcing me to come up with this adventure, and totally ignoring the cool Plantoid adventure that took me all of 15 minutes to come up with… So let’s give them a chance to hack Lord Ashenface’s bank accounts from his desktop terminal, and maybe he has a collection of strange stuff, so they get to roll on the Epic loot table. There!

And next week, PLANTOID adventure! They’re not getting off that easy!

I use a similar structure for con games I just realized. I just skip part one and have it as a quick narration to start with and then dive headlong into 2.

Yeah, Scene 1 in an adventure doesn’t really have to be more than a quick exposition. Where are you? Who’s important? What are the key features?

But as the first “room” of a dungeon, the first scene is important.
It’s pretty much the same thing as the first room in 5-room dungeons. The Guardian.
The 5-room dungeon also uses this structure, but splits Scene 2 into more smaller scenes with distinct functions.

Scene 1: Room 1, The Guardian
Scene 2: Rooms 2 & 3
Scene 3: Rooms 4 & 5, Climax & Reward

Do you also happen to have any advice on how to adjust the difficulty to the number of players and their skill level/role-playing abilities?

I really love the way you explain, examples and all.

Thanks.
As for setting difficulty, I tend to have as many NPC actions as there are PCs +2. This isn’t a hard and fast rule, as much as my gut feeling.
Now NPC actions don’t all have to be 1 Action = 1 Monster.
You can have 1 monster with multiple actions, or you can have multiple monsters with 1 action (also known as the swarm or mob).
Action economy really tends to be one of the main things when it comes to making encounters challenging or easy.

Let’s say on average, a group of 4 PCs take down 1 enemy per turn.
If you have less monster actions than PCs, then the monsters won’t get to hurt the heroes much before dying off.
If you double the enemy actions to 8, then the players are going to struggle to take down the baddies before getting stomped themselves.
Which is why # of PCs +2 seems to work quite well.

Of course, if that means the players face 2 dragons with 3 actions each, they might still have a hard time, since the dragons probably have a lot of Hearts and HP.

So think of 1 PC = 1 NPC action worth 1 Heart to defeat.

Again, this is just my gut feeling go-to way of quickly throwing down an encounter. Once you start adding environment threats, timers, and other shenanigans, expect a challenging encounter.

And since we like examples, let’s do Lord Ashenface and his goons.

• Assume 4 PCs with 10 hp each.
  • Lord Ashenface, 20 hp, 2 actions, undead twat that regenerates d4 hp per round. That was 2 PCs worth of threat.
  • 2x SWAT Ghoul bodyguards with 10 hp, 1 action each, and since these guys are tough bodyguards, anything less than 4 damage, they ignore.
    Now we are up to 4 PCs worth of baddies. Now for the +2.
  • Pet Dragonling, 20 hp, 2 actions, breathes fire for d6 damage to all near as one of the actions.

Aaand we’re done.

Good stuff! Will try using this method for balancing the oneshot I’m running this weekend. :blush:

I already threw together some enemies I can tweak, so it will be interesting how they match up to this formula and then later in practice.

Seems like a great rule of thumb and makes needed adjustments easy.

Great post, lots of useful information there… but I don’t see how this is any different to the L.O.G. system?

Although I can see the “three act play” can be applied to just about any level of game. But from a story telling perspective, there is a component missing. This last component can’t be applied to every dungeon run, but it is crucial for the over all story if you are trying to create an epic tale. That is the journey home.

Campbell%20method

You can read more about it here.

I first learned this is Tracy & Curtis Hickman’s X-Treme Dungeon Mastery.

I don’t know the L.O.G. system. Please share. :+1:

Yeah, the Hero’s Journey is really a model for character development, and can’t really be translated into building a dungeon.
It’s a realy useful dramatic tool for writing good stories. But in an RPG, you can’t - and shouldn’t - force character development in the same way you can when writing. Players do what they do. Character development in RPGs arise from the interplay between the party and the challenges they face together. How they work together - or fail to work together, as some cases are - define them and develop their relationships.
You can’t really force that by designing an adventure from the Hero’s Journey model.
What if they don’t want to return home? Whst if they beat the helper senseless and lot their stuff?

It’s on page 186 of ICRPG Core book, it stands for Location, Obstacle, Goal

Simple and easy to remember, using LOG has been a great help when planning encounters.

The journey home doesn’t need to be literal. I agree that you can’t force the hero model on a party because parties are unpredictable. But when a story comes to an end, it will always be more memorable with closure.

sitting around a hearth discussing how your life will never be the same
burring a fallen comrade
sailing off to the gray havens
Conan the barbarian sitting on his thrown
the end of an age

any of these work and they don’t have to a complete adventure, a single line, a short description is all it really needs… (But avoid the 12 endings of Peter Jackson’s return of the king LOL)

I don’t really think that falls under the perview of what the DM should prep. What if they TPK?

@Meadbeard We will have to agree to disagree on this one I think… If all your doing is random adventure to random adventure you absolutely don’t need an end goal in mind. But if you want to tell a story with your players, someone has to guide the story and the end has to be in mind.

Three Act Structure is just another distillation of the Campbellian Monomyth. It can be boiled down to Problem in the Familiar Situation, Exploring a Strange Situation, Revising the Familiar in Light of the Strange.

Two other cool ways of looking at it (with tons of GMing applications) are:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmiqQ9NpPE One of my favorites is Dan Wells 7 Part Story Structure. If you haven’t seen this short series you are in for a treat.

And the other Dan: