Thanks to The Runehammer, I GM'd my first session

blood-and-snow
minis
homebrew
craft

Thanks to The Runehammer, I have finally (after being terrified of running a D&D game) GM’d my first tabletop RPG session.

ICRPG, and BLOOD and SNOW more specifically seemed very approachable and manageable to me, so I gave it a shot. I got my Momma, Dad, and Brother and away we went. I wanted to do a Neanderthal specific run, so I removed, modified, and/or added to the tags and equipment tables, and kept it as Neanderthal (pre-human) as possible.

This was the first encounter, I created a Dire Walrus with 2 phases (head and fully emerged) with 2 separate health pools and abilities.

Neanderthal Minis: Okumarts Games: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139259/Beasts--Barbarians-Set-Two-Nandals-and-Cultists

The map: 2-Minute Tabletop (patreon):

This was the second encounter. The groups curiosity got the best of them and they disturbed some giant wood grubs! My goal for this encounter was a supply stock up, the grubs only have 1 hp and hit for 1hp, but every time one died they emitted a scream and called 2 more.

Grub minis: Okumarts Games:

The Map: 2- Minute Tabletop:

This was the final map the new chief had to take the ashes of the previous chief to the ancestral burial rocks. I introduced line of sight, and hidden objects at each rock if searched for.

Bear Mini: Trash Mob Minis:

The Map: 2-Minute Tabletop (patreon):

The Rocks: Printable Heroes:

This is a picture of my flow chart, custom character/tag 4x6 cards, I also introduced supply tokens, and a merchant currency, things they got from butchering such as teeth, assortment of bones, tusks, furs and what not. they could buy from the clan once they got home safely. I also modified d8 weather, hunting, hazards, foraging, and fishing tables.

Token pictures: 2-Minute Tabletop:

ICRPG by The Runehammer:

Blood and Snow by The Runehammer:

We all had a good family fun time!

PS the very first picture I posted: Okumarts doesn’t have a female Neanderthal, so I pieced one together for my Momma…beautiful dontcha think?
I used his Dwarf set for the head and Bazongas:
Dwarf set:

Whoa! This write-up is fantastic! I am really glad you had a good time with the system. Did everyone enjoy it? I am hopeful this means tons more DM’ing for you. That’s how it starts, lol.

Also, thanks for sharing those tokens. They look really cool, and I love your idea for the grub encounter.

Very cool! It’s great that your immediate family gave it a go with you. Kinda jealous of you as my household family doesn’t take to the table top RPG experience much, at least not yet. One more reason I’m thankful for all the fine connections I’m making here on this forum to scratch that ICRPG itch!

That looks like a great time! Excellent job, and welcome to the hobby! We are family now, forever on.

This is so beautiful! For a guy who was a first time DM and a nervous one at that, you were exceptionally well prepared! I am in awe, sir.

With the resources you’ve acquired to run your first game, you should have material for hundreds more. Excellent work! You should work these details up into a tutorial. With a bit of editing and formatting you could rock some pdfs on Drivethrurpg.

No doubt. I am hoping for a download of all the customs :wink:

Great session.

I really like your combination of artstyles. Lovely playset you got there!!!

Thanks for the positive comment! Yeah the grubs were fun, I had planned an area where the party could rummage for supplies fairly easy to restore what has been lost, but wanted a nudge mechanic so they wouldn’t stay forever, thus the wood grubs were born. The grubs hit for 1 and have a hp of 1, but once you kill one, 2 more show up, so it could get hairy.

If you look at the map, it has these strange grooves in the ground (grub burrows), and I told them their curiosity got the best of them and had to stop and investigate (which produced a single grub). The party went into this one gung ho with murderous intent, after smashing the first one to goo, and 2 more showed up…their faces looked at me for revelations…once they mashed another, you can imagine what they were thinking. The grubs could also squirt out a near range stun string which prevented movement for one round (hehe). It was a fun map, but they fled before getting much supply, so didn’t really go as I planned but was funny nonetheless.

Alex, I also had a question about whether I put in the artists links correctly? Or what the protocol is, and whatnot.

I think you did more than required. The general rule is that if you are going to throw up “found art” from the internet, please cite the creator. You don’t have to include a hyperlink; just give credit where credit is due for someone who put hours into a work.

That being said, showcasing assets you are using is a cool move. We are all looking for neat stuff, so adding links is awesome!!!

Very much agree. I like the idea of promoting the things we like and find useful. I know for sure I will be checking out the links here. I especially loved the integration @Fuzzymagoo is using here. Bits and pieces from the different sources. Cool stuff man.

The extra steps that you took here to make the game fun, flow, and wondrous (not to mention absolutely and stunningly visually appealing) made a huge impact, I’m sure. I have the feeling that this is only the first of many memorable sessions for you and your family. Thanks for sharing this!

Wow. Looks like a blast! Love the tokens.