TAGS as problems

inspiration

I was having a discussion earlier today (I think it may have been with @SpicyVikingTofu but you may correct me if I’m wrong) about something I did on my last session. Normally I don’t come up with any solutions to the problems I create in a room. However, for some reason last session I decided to make one on my own.

Inevitably this lead me to nudge them toward my solution. This ended up with one player feeling pressured and confused, feeling like they were afraid to waste their turn. I definitely didn’t want to convey that feeling at my table so I realized that is a method I will never use again.

However, we had a quick discussion on possibly using tags to this idea. The example was that if you have a wraith in the next room you might just write the following:

Wraith! - SOUL GEM as a power source.

Which quickly in only a few words give you a problem. The solution of which the players must come up with on their own.

I figured I would post this here for anyone new to the hobby as an idea for how to create problems with no hurt feelings. The last thing we want to do is create a toxic environment that stresses our players out.

HEY! This was me!

It’s a concept of coming up with problems and not coming up with the solutions! This is somethin’ ol Ingrid @Runehammer has maybe mentioned off handedly in the past.

This allows you to not only remove the burden of coming up with the solution, but also allows the players come up with crazy solutions that the GM wouldn’t have thought about and say “WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!! THAT’S AN AWESOME IDEA! I hope it goes well! Roll it!”

This allows the players more agency and not feeling frustrated as much!

However, this is something that they players have to agree on, because if they are trying too many different things and are spread too thin, it might not work like they plan.

Back to the SOUL GEM, if the Cleric and Paladin want to destroy the gem, but the Rogue and Sorcerer want to use its power by redirecting it into the Sorcerer’s source of power, then obviously, those things are going to but heads.