Spinning Melee Attack Idea

inspiration

oot_spin_attack

Think we have all been there, a player wants to stand in the middle of a group of enemies and spin with their great axe to hit them all. “Can I do that?”

The common response is sure, just make it a HARD roll…and they miss…because the target was now 17+

Suggested Idea: They select a primary target like normal - roll to hit - on success they hit like normal - BUT - if their roll exceeded the target by 3 (as if it was a hard roll) they ALSO hit the surrounding enemies as well.

Less punishing, but considering they are putting themselves in danger by being in the thick of the enemy seems fair. On failure just say the weapon connected on the first enemy but got stuck or something

I could even see this being incorporated to dual wielding weapons - A Primary and Secondary weapon - maybe require a skill tag to use it though.

They attack with primary weapon - roll to hit - on success they hit like normal - BUT - if their roll exceeded the target by 3 (as if it was a hard roll) they ALSO hit with their secondary weapon.

something to chew on for a bit.

Strength and Dex powers?

I am almost to the point where it’s not even hard if the character is surrounded like that. Just roll to hit. Or maybe the character has a BladeMaster tag that just allows this happen.

But I like the idea of using how much the roll exceeds the target to determine the degree of success.

Or just modify the burst fire module for melee…

Well, let’s consider physics a bit (not too much, just enough for the GM response to sound fair to the player) and say that swinging the weapon around, even actually hitting, doesn’t have to necessarily be HARD. What actually should get affected is the strength of each hit after the first, getting weaker because Newton says so. So in keeping with the already good advice given above, designate the enemy to receive the first hit, then a value of the EFFORT you wish to apply to that one, and spread the remaining effort on each other surrounding enemy as evenly as possible. For example, say the player is surrounded by 4 enemies, and does the max 6 weapon damage. First enemy can get 2 damage, second could get 2 more, and the last two 1 each. Or maybe the first one takes 3, and 1 for each remaining enemy. If the roll is less than the enemies, then you can still do this, and justify it with Newton again, with the last enemy or enemies just not getting too damaged because of the force lost on the first dudes. Sounds crunchier than it is, so the spark notes version is: let it hit, and spread the effort damage around, with the first enemy taking the brunt of it.

When this came up in my game I made the great sword weirder roll for each enemy and the first was normal and further enemies were hArd rolls.
I also asked if they were swing left to right or right to left as the were never fully surrounded and limited who they could use the regular attack on.

i like to use grades of success too! this is a great tool in the arsenal of a GM. rolling a basic roll and beating it by more than a hard roll sort of deserves a little extra oomph in my eyes. not quite a crit, but still, a little added something. I did this in my Nobility of the rope game with @JDStirling’s halfling sailor. His Gaff hook was a weapon, but if he beat a hard roll he also got the option to trip an opponent.

handy little extra stuff like that could be a reward for a character tag (ex: they learned a new fencing technique), or even as a weapon tag (ex: the above mentioned Gaff Hook). this would give a more dynamic feel to what each weapon can do, along with more options for their actions, since weapon damage is a d6 across the board. maybe big axes or swords can cleave, giving the option to cut multiple enemies the way you described it , a warhammer could perhaps sunder some armor or daze a target to make attacks against them easy, and maybe a nice fencing rapier can riposte, if the enemy’s attack misses by more than an easy roll deal weapon damage.

there definitely seems like there could be a gold mine of extra tags and abilities in this concept, which can help give newer players more imaginative descriptive fuel beyond just “i hit it with my axe”. i am excited to see if it catches on/ what other folks can come up with. I will definitely keep this in mind when i run games with my players in the future!

I just use an additional 1d4 for all enemies near enough to take incidental damage as long as it logically makes sense.

If player wants to execute a special whirlwind attack, I allow a 1d4 roll to determine how many extra opponents are hit at full weapons effort but next turn is hard

A lot of good concepts here, thanks for the feedback everyone.

@TheWunderLich
I think you got something there my friend. I will have to ponder on this for a bit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

This is where the use of Feats come in.
Pay 1HP and hit All Close if you make the roll.
OR
The loot itself, which is the Base of ICRPG.
A sword so big (Berserk style) that doeant stop when you swing it for example

LOOT breaks or evolves the rules!!

Feats are a great option. Otherwise Give him the big Axe/hammer/sword with the tag 'WHIRLWIND!" or something similar.Description… ALL creatures close take damage (even friendlies if they are two close). If he fails, he miscalculated and is now standing with his back to the main force! Oh no! -3 to Armor for one round! eek!

Sorry, going to go for a different direction.

Yes, roll for attack, and roll for effort.

If they make the target, then they can distribute effort however they want.

I guess I’ll screw up the nice short answer above.

Is the player wanting an AoE attack?
This is exactly what loot is for. But make sure you are not letting them shine in another player lime light.

Thunder hammer: d8 all near. Sacrifice 1d4 HP to bring the Thunder.

[watching thread for the greater good of the Zelda project]

Did someone say feats? :blush:

We are frequently using Feats in our campaign dude!

I am using a piece of loot called the whirlwind medallion, if the character rolls 15+ on attempt they can attack one additional time. Pretty much a melee version of the archers starting loot quiver.
I stole this from Swords & Wizardry:
Two weapon fighting is +1 on attempt.
Two handed fighting is +1 on effort.
Shields are +2 armor. (As per ICRPG)
I’ve been thinking about increasing to bonus to +2 for attempt or effort just to see how it feels.
One of my players biggest resistances to ICRPG is that all weapon damage is a d6.

I mean RAW yeah. But there’s nothing stopping you from using the fiction or tags to modify the damage Or grant status effects. That said with most enemies being so low health it’s still faster than d&d as is.

One of the PCs in my campaign have the Cross Slash feat that lets him attack again on a mod 16+, unlimited hit or miss as long aa there is a high roll.
He did a whooping 120dmg on his turn one session!