SKILLS in ICRPG

I know this is getting further and further away from the original purpose of ICRPG’s system being simple without a lot of 5e D&D fluff, but I started thinking about developing some homebrew SKILLS for ICRPG. The basic idea is that they would be similar to TAGS; I recently purchased Altered State and looking through the Milestone Tags inspired me! This idea of skills would be intertwined with TAGs I think, still in the basic idea phase of all of this.

A sample of the edits I’ve made:

Elf Kind: Highborn from the age of immortals, beautiful, graceful and elegant with ages… but tainted with an ancient legacy of betrayal.
DEX +1, INT +1
Choose one TAG:

• Graceful: Athletic abilities come naturally to you. All CHECKS that involve climbing, swimming or running are EASY.
  • Light: Your springy steps are how people identify you easiest. +3 DEX when maneuvering through mud, ice, snow or sand
  • Precise: Your perfectionist side. Choose one SKILL from the Skill List on Pg. 4 to make all checks easy with that SKILL.

Sample SKILLS:
Swordfighting: A master in the art of the blade. Attuned and bonded to a specific weapon, checks with this weapon always crit on 18+ roles, and do an extra D6 of WEAPON EFFORT.

Smithy: You hail from a long line of quality workmanship, making you highly sought after. Pick a weapon to specialize in making. Crafting CHECKS to fix or create this weapon are always EASY.

It’s still a work in progress, and could become quite overpowered and could easily get out of hand with the amount of stuff I’d have to make and balance, but it’s just an idea I thought I’d share with you guys for inspiration!

Skill system for ICRPG?

Why not just call them all TAGS and limit the amount the players can start with or limit by class?

Like MILESTONES, you could limit each TAG to a subset based on class… MILESTONES differ in that because they include LOOT as well as TAGS (although not always).

Elf Kind: TAG, Highborn from the age of immortals, beautiful, graceful and elegant with ages… but tainted with an ancient legacy of betrayal. DEX +1, INT +1
Graceful: TAG, ELF Only, Graceful: Athletic abilities come naturally to you. All CHECKS that involve climbing, swimming or running are EASY.
Light: TAG, ELF Only, Your springy steps are how people identify you easiest. +3 DEX when maneuvering through mud, ice, snow or sand
Precise: TAG, ELF Only, Your perfectionist side. Choose one SKILL from the Skill List on Pg. 4 to make all checks easy with that SKILL.
Sword Fighting: TAG, A master in the art of the blade. Attuned and bonded to a specific weapon, checks with this weapon always CRIT on 18+ roles, and do an extra D6 of WEAPON EFFORT.
Smithy: TAG, You hail from a long line of quality workmanship, making you highly sought after. Pick a weapon to specialize in making. Crafting CHECKS to fix or create this weapon are always EASY.

Many of these “TAGS” already exist in the world primers and community content.

Seems like you are adding a SKILLS system that already exists thru the use of TAGS … Of course you could always change all the TAG keywords to SKILL and Game On!

This indeed would make it much more simple! Thanks for the ideas!