Run ICRPG games in the Forums here? Appetite? Functionality?

question
seeking-players

Times being what they are it’s unlikely folks will be able to run ICRPG face to face anytime soon. My most natural option would be to take a group over to Facebook since they have functionality for video chatting, messenger, establishing a group to set up player resources, maps, etc. but I’m somewhat loathe to pull traffic from here to there. Ditto with discord or Roll20 with the added element that I’m woefully unfamiliar with either and intimidated by both.

So the question is, could I pitch a tent here somewhere and do a game? There’s the capacity to add photos and write text, which honestly seems like all we’d need. Is this something people would be into? Is there somewhere on the forums for content like this? Have people tried/are people trying something like this–and how’s it work out? Does the format frustrate people or are they happy with it?

My best advice is to learn a new tool like Discord and just be brave enough to jump in and learn it.

I have been playing ICRPG since it came out. A few months after that, I linked up with a few guys on the old Google+ Runehammer forum and started playing online. In those days, we used Google Hangouts to meet up for video and voice communication, though we used the Hangouts chat feature on our phones to handle instant messaging. For a VTT, our first DM ran the maps and tokens right out of Photoshop.

From there, we used a few other video conferencing solutions for voice and video, including appear.in, join.me, and zoom.

For instant messaging, we switched to Facebook Messenger for a long time.

And then for a VTT, we switched pretty fast to Roll20, where life got way easier running maps and tokens.

Finally, we switched all of our chat to Discord, which handles instant messaging so much better.

So, today, my setup is as follows:

Discord for instant messaging with my groups, game setup, logistics, some in-between games RP, and sometimes voice or play-by-post.
Zoom for voice and video on game nights.
Roll20 for maps, tokens, and actual play on game nights.

Notice that none of that takes place here on the forum, where we visit. It’s just that a forum wall really isn’t the right tool to handle instant messaging, teleconferencing, or virtual table top functions. Discord, for example, has dice-rolling capability inside the app, which is even better than Facebook messenger for gamers.

And what I want to say to a post like this is that I had the same trepidation about these unknown tools also, but once I took the time to learn them, then my world got way easier. So, my encouragement to you would be to branch out a little. Trust me. If I can learn these tools, anyone can.

As for taking traffic away from here, I appreciate the nod, but the reality is that there are tons of folks playing ICRPG outside of these forums, however they connect. Over on the Runehammer Discord, there are folks posting there and here about openings in games. A couple lumpy heads started a Beer and Pretzels ICRPG discord server where they run games all the time (and are still active here). And a bunch of us have our own private Discord channels where we discuss gaming and play games.

So, while you could organize and run games from a forum wall, where the posts are all tiles, I really think you’re going to be a lot happier using tools that were designed to handle the job. If you jumped into Discord now, you’ll look back in a month and question why you ever were nervous about it. At least, that’s been my experience. If you want to get your feet wet, pay a dollar and come hang out on the Runehammer Discord and learn the ropes. There’s no time like the present.

Totally in agreement with everything @Alex

I use multiple “server groups” in Discord. One for in game chat. One for dice rolling (if not using the VTT dice), and one for character sheets, art, maps, and file sharing (as needed). Each game has its own group dedicated voice chat as well. All within the app.

I broadcast my VTT of choice (RHVTT) using OBS being cast thru Discord. This allows me much more control with the on screen sharing and visual elements with some Affinity Photo or Designer magic (when I have enough time to plan it all). Tableplop, RHVTT, and Owlbear Rodeo are some of my favorites but nothing beats TableTop Simulator. I could play in that app all day and night… its a big learning curve but once you get it, you wont want to go back.

There are a hundred ways to make it work. I know some guys even use Google Slides or Microsoft Powerpoint as their VTT and chat over Telegraph for their games… Its simply up to your familiarity with the software and your willingness to learn new things.

Dive in, make some mistakes, and just keep rolling the dice! … Game On!

If you need help or advice, the shield wall here will support you. Feel free to ask us anything.

Well huh.

The way these forums react to things is never what I expect.

Interesting.

:thinking:

I agree with everyone else that your best bet is discord and a VTT. Discord is super easy to use and has lots of good functionality. But if you find roll20 daunting (I do and I used it quite a bit) you can always check out something more light weight like Owlbear rodeo (https://www.owlbear.rodeo/)

Hahahaha. Well, what answer were you hoping to hear?

That being said, I don’t think anyone here is going to say, “Oh sure. Use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.”

Most of the helpful folks around here are going to say, “oh man, you want to hammer nails? Let me tell you about the best hammers I have tried. And oh… you need to try this awesome one … the Rune - Hammer!” :smiley:

I think what I expected was more of a smattering of ideas: A bunch of people chiming in with advice on how forum gaming using ICRPG has gone for them for good or ill, some folks really interested and hungry for a game based here on the forums, some folks being kind of ‘no thanks’ about it and trying to maybe sell me on the different alternative platforms. I figured from the responses I’d get at least a taker or two and some good advice as a launchpad to get the game I was looking at doing going.

Getting mostly the lead admin and a couple of other folks chiming in to tell me I’m doing it wrong and should overcome my anxiety about VTT services and just do it the way everyone else does–because that’s the right way to do it. That took me off guard. For one thing it doesn’t seem particularly the DIY spirit of the brand. But also, there’s no diversity of ideas–just the one, which kind doesn’t leave a lot of oxygen to fuel further discussion. It also kind of kills my enthusiasm for the project to be honest. So yeah. Kind of a bummer, but at least it seems like folks are finding the games they want which is a good thing.

I don’t think most people do any PlayByPost around here if that was your intention. I’m certainly interested but I don’t think this particular forums are well suited for such gameplay :stuck_out_tongue:

For playbypost I would recommend you to use either Telegram or Discord since you can access them natively from mobile devices, you can roll dice on them, post/search/pin links and multimedia, they have voice chat functionality (telegram has Discord-like voice channels now) AND you have better self moderation.

:herocoin: for bringing up PlayByPost tho!

EDIT: I’ll also throw here my VTT of choice which is Tableplop, since you can access it from Mobile natively and set up custom character sheets, both functions that Roll20 severly lacks… and it is also simpler and prettier lol

Dont let our responses jar you from the game, or asking more questions. We are a helpful bunch… Maybe just got off on the wrong foot. Send me a DM and I would be more than happy to help you in any way I know how. Game On!

Well, that’s not what happened here at all. No one said you were doing it wrong (your words). What you got was the shield wall trying to be helpful and encouraging. Helpful — in the sense that there are better ways to do what you’re trying to do (we’ve been there); and encouraging — in the sense that you should try some of those tools out. None of them are more difficult than using this forum.

But hey, if you want to try to run an asynchronous game using the forum, go for it. Make an interest post setting out the particulars. When you reach the desired level of interest (let’s say 4 or 5 players), then make a private message thread with those 4 or 5 folks and rock on. Circle back and let us know how it went with an after action report. Folks will be eager to find out. And you’re right. Text and photos is all you need.

If you felt experienced folks were giving you advice about alternatives, that’s because whether you want to play a synchronous game or an asynchronous game, there are better tools than a forum wall. No need to get salty and downtrodden because you got that advice. That’s just facts. To me, wanting to play via forum is akin to wanting to host a game using Facebook status updates. But man, rock on with your project.

As others have indicated, lots of shield wallers have run games in a creative way using tools that were designed for different purposes: Google slides, PowerPoint, and photoshop. Heck, I ran a game once using Paint Shop Pro, lol. So, if you think you have the next cool idea, go for it.

As Ezzerharden said, folks here bend over backwards to help folks, not tear them down. If that’s what you thought, then shame on you.

Grim, I totally get where you are coming from. Having played a few games via list server back in the day I get the attraction.

That said, with modern tools, discord seems the most logical choice for it today.
Even if it is 1 action per day.

But playing theater of the mind and over voice chat. With a decent roller bot on a dedicated channel…it’s as near for me to tabletop as I have gotten…actually, just calling the rolls, is preferred to me.

Maps are cool, VTT has a place, but for my time, voice and occasional pictures does it.

Google slides, other VTTs mentioned…recognizing the limitations of the media used.

A hybrid approach, text through the week and audio on game day, also has a special appeal to me. But each group is unique.

As to the forums giving a weird answer. @Alex and @Ezzerharden have gamed in VTT environments a ton. Both seem to love in person interaction.

For me, running a game…depends the day, what I prefer. But having a play by post on the forums as a norm…not sure the Runehamer forums in its current incarnation is even a decent medium.

List servers with subject filters seemed best (yahoo), when dedicated and the GM had admin rights.

On the forums in the current incarnation seems to be an open forum, where most users are disciplined enough, but random people suddenly commenting on actions taken…might destroy the nature of a play by post game.

Separately @Alex is offering very experienced advice, tossing it in his face, and that he is kind enough to admin the forums can be perceived as a cut.

The forums definitely know we don’t agree often…I typically come around to admitting he was mostly right. But we are not lemmings or sycophants on this forum. But there is a wealth of knowledge and eagerness to help.

Text is a cold medium if used in a concise manner. Try to take recommendations as someone taking time out of their day, to outline possible pitfalls.

However, recruiting/delving for ideas and inspiration…this forum is great for that!

Yeah. That’s why after the initial interest post, I’d have folks take such an endeavor to a private message (you can have multiple folks in a private message on here). Plus, with the constant updates, a public thread like that would constantly bump to the top of the forum, and that’s not quite the purpose here.

I’m not keen on play-by-forum, but if you want to try play-by-post you might consider Role Gate. I haven’t used it yet, but it looks pretty slick for asynchronous text gaming.

Wow!!! Skippy!!! We do live in a gilded age!!!

While it is exactly the place for those game and conceptually/nostalgically attractive. I read a few games, looked at dates, read entries… games seem to use a combo of relegate text, discord audio, discord text.

But I also realized not my thing.

Nice! I tooled around with RoleGate looooong ago but it wasn’t half-baked enough for me to truly care. Now there’s even an app! awesome…