(probably yet another) Sorcerer type

homebrew

Hello all,
I’d appreciate feedback/suggestions for this Sorcerer type I’m working on. A little context first, in my game, I’m using Anima (name for magic from previous system) instead of SP.

MAGIC (this is adapted from this forum post which really helped me get to grips with the advanced magic system).

• Sorcery: Doesn’t use scrolls or magic thingies, has a list of spells they prepare “every rest” and can cast them as much as they like (roll to determine results, can fumble spells (double 1s), uses burn die from ME p. 93 ONCE Anima is consumed). Can’t make potions, create new spells, or enchant things
  • Wizardry: Uses scrolls and items to cast from which are needed to do the spell, amount of casting is determined by potency of spells and remaining resource (e.g. Anima), can either roll to determine result or choose to use the spell with certainty that one time (until next rest) but not have to roll, can create spells, potions, and enchant, uses Mercurial Mishaps ME p. 326)

Here’s what I have so far:

SORCERER >> A master of magic who bends it to their will
STARTING ABILITY (Choose 1)
SPELLS AKIMBO: You can cast two spells at once, selecting different targets.
SPELL BOMB: You can put a spell into motion and have it activate based on a trigger.
BY WILL ALONE: You can cast INT spells using WIS

STARTING LOOT (Choose 1)
CHAOS BANGLES: Choose any 3 INT or WIS spells, you cast them with INT or WIS. On any TURN when not casting a SPELL,
roll 1D6. Keep that die for use later on any 1 roll. Store up to 6D6 in this way
SPELL ARMOUR: Gain any 3 INT spells, they move around you like a protective shield. Burn any one remaining spell to absorb the damage from one attack
FAERY IN A BOTTLE: When safe, feed the FAIRY HP up to a maximum of 1 Heart. If you fall to 0 HP, the fairy will revive you to 1 Heart once. You may also feed a fully-fed fairy to someone recently dead to ressurect them with 1 HP (this destroys the fairy)

MILESTONE ABILITIES (Choose 1 when awarded by GM)
EVER STRONGER: Add 1 to any STAT or learn 1 new INT or WIS SPELL
I’LL HAVE WHAT THEY’RE HAVING: Once per encounter, roll HARD WIS to swallow an enemy spell, regain Anima appropriate to the spell
ELEMENTAL FORM: Become fire, air, water, or earth for 1D4 ROUNDS
UNNATURAL TALENT: Spend 1 ANIMA to roll a CHECK or ATTEMPT with MAGIC EFFORT.
WE DON’T SPEAK OF IT: Choose a monster, one of its abilities emerges from dormancy in you and you can now use it
AT BOTH ENDS: When your Spell Burn die is in play, you may spend 1 HP to add its value to EFFORT rolls.
SIGHT BEYOND SIGHT: Unless purposefully concealed, magical creatures and effects are plainly visible to you.

MASTERY
SPELL FUSION: You can combine two spells into a single new effect
LORD OF CHAOS: When any die is added to your Chaos Bangles, it becomes a 6
TWO FOR ONE: You can store 2 fairies in the bottle and use them separately

Honestly, all I would require of your sorcerer to bring it into play at some point might be some elaboration about how certain things work with more precision such as SPELL ARMOUR. Well done! :smile:

Thank you! Could you tell me what questions you have about SPELL ARMOUR (or anything else) so I can elaborate in the text?

What if you picked no STARTING ABILITY that gives you access to spells? Like SPELL BOMB?
BY WILL ALONE allows you to cast INT spells using WIS but SPELL ARMOUR grants you INT spells anyway??
I assume that the 3 INT spells from SPELL ARMOUR are cast at your will when you take damage or does it negate damage and the cast the spell? What does it do exactly? That last sentence about SPELL ARMOUR isn’t too clear: is it saying that you can burn a spell from your list or a spell from SPELL ARMOUR?

All good questions!

The player I created this character for is leaning on WIS but will want to be able to pick spells from the INT lists, for them I created BY WILL ALONE which covers the whole type.

I designed the Chaos Bangles with the idea that it might be LOOT that any type might get, so I wanted it to be versatile.

The way I imagined SPELL ARMOUR working is that you have the choice of using the spell at will but, when you use a spell as armour, it’s burned, so you can’t use it again until your spells become available again. So it’s a way to gain three spells with 1 loot, has a cool visual flavour, and opens up possible hard choices of both which spells to put in it and which spell to sacrifice. Maybe this is a better phrasing?

SPELL ARMOUR: Infuse the armour with any 3 INT spells, they move around you like a protective shield. You may CAST any of the three spells as normal or BURN any one remaining spell to absorb the damage from one attack (the spell is no longer available).

That last parenthetical may not be necessary because, I believe, BURN means the spell is gone. Let me know.

Yeah, I think that sounds fun au boute! I’m sure that your player will have tons of fun! Good luck!