New Rule: Alternate Approach to Spellcircles

Every conjurer can try every spell or effect possible, but their spellcircle provides a kind of thematic descriptor for what effects look like. For instance, a fire elementalist can rip open a hole in space, creating a portal. The effect is described as a single flame seemingly burning a hole into reality. Or for a water elementalist, a certain portion ripples until the destination on the other side can be seen. For arcane bands, energy bands might connect to form a loop that creates the portal.

Under these rules, conjurers are also encouraged to come up with their own spellcircles.

So I revisited this and came up with something a little different: the generalist spellcircle. Let me know what you think.

Generalist Spellcircle: No need to choose a spellcircle, but your spell power level caps out at 2D6 instead of 3D6. The usual spellburn and anchoring rules apply. RR May impose 1 karma per round penalty to sustain strenuous effects.

Taboo: The other cost of being a generalist—cross out one of the below spell types from the list of those you personally have access to.

Theme: What are the tell-tale signs of your magick? Glimmering magick, the scent of lavender, glowing eyes?

Generalist Spell Types:

Damage: Spell does one strike of damage to each target.

Healing: Spell heals one strike of damage to each target.

Status Change: Changes something about the target’s status or condition, granting a boon or imposing a bane.

Transformations: Works a fundamental change in the target, changing their strikes, and their boons or banes as well as access to other abilities as decided by the RR.

Secret Information: Caster gains access to certain secret information they wouldn’t have otherwise.

Save bonus: Caster improves the value needed for a Wound or Miraculous save to 3+.

Communicate: Caster can communicate with a thing or creature it otherwise couldn’t, such as the dead or with friends telepathically.

Charm/Command: Caster overrides the willpower of one creature. The creature remembers and is likely pissed when the spell wears off.

Ensnarement: The caster magically ensnares their opponents, requiring 6 to escape.

Gating: The caster teleports or summons allies.

First, and always: It’s your table; your game. Do what YOU want.

-------HEALING--------
“Magick never heals. Miracles never harm.”
This is alluded to in the book. But, I THINK I got this from the errata. I apologize for not being able to directly reference the source.
I personally feel changing this rule unbalances the game.

:slight_smile: This said, you got me thinking about a way around it. What if one of the circles had the ability to bestow a TEMPORARY - and anchored - health point to another character(s). Perhaps with an ability that tricks the mind into believing they’re tougher, or ignoring the effects of a Strike… until the anchor is dropped or lost. There’d be, like with other spells, one resistant die per target, up to six.
This way, it’s not healing, and is very exciting when the party’s low on health, and then the conjurer loses his anchor. :slight_smile:

------SAVE BONUS------
I’d make this a bonus of one to the target number.

------COMMUNICATE------
Cool, and helpful for GM and characters. I’d not include undead. Doing so waters down the Friar.

------CHARM------
I assume this is an opposed test, but it’s not clarified. Perhaps target chooses Spell Resistance (typically 1D6), or a special Mind-type ability they may have.

------ENSNARE------
Again, I think this should be opposed. Targets choose either Spell Resistance (typically 1D6), or a special physical-type ability they may have.

------GATING------
Teleporting can be powerful, depending on distance and number of travelers. I suggest clarifying. Perhaps 1D6 resistance to teleport only the caster a Near distance. Increasing distances adds resistance dice (perhaps +1D6 for Far, +2d6 for mile, +3D6 anywhere, +4D6 another plane), and of course add for number of travelers (1D6 per). To help with balance, I’d also require clearly knowing where you’re headed; as in, the conjurer has been there or seen it.

The other use of Gating - summoning allies - definitely requires clarification. Perhaps the same as teleporting, except you’re only providing a way for KNOWN allies to come through to your aid. They may be occupied, or otherwise unable to help. Additionally, they’re NPC’s, so they should have some reason to come through, and possibly expect a return favor.

Finally, I’d make a general note reminding the conjurer that any lasting spell requires anchoring.

Thank you for listening. I typed “I think” a lot, to clarify these are just my opinions. Have a great game!