menagerie

Fantastic Flyers

• Dire Dove
  • Dire Wasp
  • Flying Snake
  • Geistling
  • Hellspawn Imp
  • Sky Servant

Munyb ben Nimaj traveled far and wide across Alfheim, encountering all manner of flying beasts and monsters in his travels. Chronicled here are a notable few at the more survivable end of the spectrum this category comprises…

Dire Dove :black_heart:
+1 STR +1 DEX DEF 10
A beautiful white dove about the size of a medium dog with a sharp beak and a wingspan of over six feet.

• ATTACK—PECK: D4 BASIC (piercing) damage, from CLOSE range or in flight
  • MULTI-ATTACK: Two attacks per turn, at one or two targets
  • FLIGHT—Dire doves hop and walk slowly, NEAR distance each turn, so they prefer to fly up to FAR height and FAR distance (with or without other actions); they cannot hover.
  • HOLLOW BONES: Their delicate avian skeletal structure makes dire doves susceptible to melee attacks; whenever they are reduced to 3 HP or less, dire doves can no longer fly and lose their multi-attack, but they gain an additional +1 STR and their peck attack deals ULTIMATE damage from the ground.

Dire Wasp :black_heart:
+1 CON DEF 11
Imagine a persistent, angry, venomous, buzzing wasp the size of a large cat. Yeah…THAT.

• ATTACK—POISON STING: D4 BASIC (piercing) damage, and the target must make a CON save or be paralyzed and take no action until the end of its next turn; the wasps can sting repeatedly.
  • FLIGHT—Dire wasps move slowly (CLOSE distance each turn) on the ground, so they prefer to fly up to FAR height and FAR distance (with or without other actions); they can hover, and they prefer to fight in the air.

Flying Snake :black_heart:
+3 DEX +3 CON -2 All other stats DEF 13
A membrane-winged serpent 2 to 3 feet long with menacing fangs.

• ATTACK—POISON BITE: Does 1 point of magical (piercing) damage, and the target must make a CON save or take D4 points of (nonmagical) poison damage every round for D4 rounds; the poison damage from successive bites does not stack, but multiple bites can extend the duration of the poison effects.
  • FLIGHT—Flying snakes rarely slither, moving only CLOSE distance each turn on the ground, so they prefer to fly up to FAR height and FAR distance (with or without other actions); they can hover, and they prefer to fight in the air.

Geistling :black_heart:
+3 CHA DEF 12
A small, nebulous, ghostly apparition consisting of afterlife energy given the roiling form of thick black (or colored) smoke.

• ATTACK—GRAVE TOUCH: D6 magical (necrotic) WEAPON damage
  • BALEFUL MOAN—A geistling can issue a terrible, otherworldly moan, forcing opponents to make an opposed CHA roll or become fearful and flee to FAR distance from the geistling for D4 rounds; this ability recharges on a D6 roll of 6 (check each round).
  • FLIGHT—Geistlings move on the ground (or at least along it) as humanoids do, but they can also fly up to FAR height and FAR distance (with or without other actions); they can hover.
  • UNDEAD: A geistling doesn’t need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe.
  • DAMAGE IMMUNITIES: A geistling is immune to poison damage.
  • DAMAGE RESISTANCES: Half damage from non-magical weapons.
  • DAMAGE VULNERABILITIES: Double damage from magic, magical weapons, silvered weapons, and holy water.
  • CONDITION IMMUNITIES: A geistling cannot be charmed, fatigued, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, or knocked prone.
  • INCORPOREAL TRAVEL: A geistling can move through an opponent or a solid object within NEAR distance, losing its attack capability until the end of its subsequent turn as it coalesces again.

Hellspawn Imp :black_heart:
+2 ALL STATS DEF 12
A small, rotund infernal humanoid creature with goat horns, bat wings, red-tinged scaly skin, a long reptilian tail, sharp claws on humanlike hands, and unguligrade legs with split hooves; they are mean-spirited and maniacal.

• ATTACK—CLAWS: D6 WEAPON (slashing) damage
  • FLIGHT—Imps move on the ground as most humanoids do, but they can also fly up to FAR height and FAR distance (with or without other actions); they can hover.
  • LAST LAUGH—When an Imp is destroyed, if brought to exactly 0 HP it will explode with fiery force in a CLOSE radius, dealing D8 MAGICAL fire damage; if destroyed and sent to negative HP, the corpse will lie dormant for one round for each HP below 0, bloating slightly with each passing moment, and THEN explode as above out to NEAR distance, leaving behind the aroma of cinnamon and brimstone and the echo of mocking laughter.

Sky Servant :black_heart:
+1 ALL STATS DEF 11
This inscrutable magical flying creature is a miniature cumulus cloud made of grey vapor that hovers about head-height off the ground, said to be among the mysterious primordial servants of an ancient sky god. They are semi-sentient and completely silent except for their elemental attacks, leaving only a breeze in their wake as they move through the air.

• ATTACK—NATURE’S FURY: The servant attacks from just above the target at CLOSE range with D4 magical elemental damage (fire, cold, acid, or lightning), as it unleashes hot embers, a freezing shower of sleet, an acidic torrent, or a bolt of lightning at its whim (GM’s choice or roll D4).
  • FLIGHT—Servants never move on the ground or come to light;they hover effortlessly, and they can fly up to FAR height and FAR distance (with or without other actions), dissipating and dematerializing completely if they are destroyed. (Rushes of air, such as a magical wind gust, can be used to impede their movement. Servants cannot fall.)
  • NON-BIOLOGICAL: Servants never eat, drink, or sleep, and they never fatigue; they do not breathe.
  • DAMAGE IMMUNITIES: A servant is immune to piercing damage as well as any attacks from non-magical ranged missiles.
  • DAMAGE RESISTANCES: Half damage from all other non-magical weapons.
  • DAMAGE VULNERABILITIES: Double damage from magic, magical weapons, silvered weapons, and fire (except for one round after it has rained fire, during which it is immune). (High-tech energy weapons do damage as normal.)
  • CONDITION IMMUNITIES: Servants cannot be frightened, grappled, paralyzed, poisoned, or knocked down.
  • GASEOUS FORM: A servant can move through any aperture and into any space that is not airtight; it cannot travel underwater. (Servants have no physical attacks or ability to have significant interaction with objects beyond their elemental effects.)

The Loot Pile: Punk of Horrors

You are well on your way to making a full-on monster manual! Nice work here, I will keep these to drop in a game in the near future. Thanks for putting these together!

Many thanks.

I appreciate the Shield Wall’s interest in and tolerance of the more detailed stat blocks, more involved play mechanics, and longer “Volo-style” descriptions of some of my Menagerie monsters.

My hope is that the extra “fat” provides grist for the mill for GMs looking to create Runehammer-style AI schemes to run some of these creatures in encounters or otherwise create plot hooks or ways to fit these monsters in smoothly at their respective tables.

While I realize more flavor doesn’t necessarily underline the ICRPG ideal, I hope the love, care, thought, and homebrew hard work that goes into each creature does—as well as my honest embrace of the weird. I’m very grateful for the forum’s indulgence.

I may update entries in Munyb’s Menagerie from time to time with additional thoughts and notes from playesting. I humbly encourage anyone who tries some of these monsters out to do the same in these threads.