Mastering ICRPG MAGIC

I’m re-reading MAGIC in preparation for an upcoming living worlds game (which entails we use rules as close to default as poss) and would like some lumpy headed assistance in understanding…

When you create your mage, choose/create a mage CLASS. CLASS = 3 TYPES. Start with one point of mastery in each type and select one starting spell for each. Q: Of ANY level?

You gain new spells for creating them IN GAME (or as loot), not as milestones.
You are limited to a number of Created spells equal to your spell casting stat (by default INT).
To create a level 1 spell you simply do a spell check and you must already have 1 spell of that TYPE (obvs agree with GM what mechanics are).
To create higher level spells, you need to already have an equal number of spells of that TYPE (eg. To create level 3 MIND spell, you must already have 3 MIND spells), and it takes more effort.
Use BASIC effort for learning spells, unless you have a helpful ITEM (weapon effort) or magic means (magic effort).
Q: can anyone give example of an item or magical means??

Storing Spells:
This is the least clear to me. They are stored as loot items essentially (like default core)?
But you can create ways of storing them into items using potion creation rules? The ways it’s worded on pg 15 indicates you can use these rules to store them permanently, NOT as potions. Q. Generally confused with this. Do SPELL BOOKS (from CORE, store 5 spells) still apply? How do you store spells into items using potion creation rules?

1. I give new characters only LEVEL 1 spells but you can do whatever you deem necessary.
  2. Any magical item/spell/effect that accelerates spell learning like a magical tome for example. Let’s make one up. “Libram Arcanum: When creating spells, use MAGIC EFFORT.” Simple as that.
  3. Potions are one shot normally, but you can assign a couple of hearts to the creation of "permanent"magic items that cast a spell over and over again. There are no rules for that so you have to come up with something that makes sense for your campaign.

Spells occupy inventory slots so casters may want to find ways to increase their inventory slots. There are many suggestions in MAGIC. Spellbooks still apply. If you want, you can limit them to 3 spells or something.

Follow up question: In which TYPE would you place divination spells? Elder?

Generally yes but depends on the nature of the divination.

If it involves portals or similar: Dimension.
If it involves fire somehow: Fire (duh).
If it can be drawn: Glyph. You get the idea.

Think of spell types as thematic groupings. That’s how I interpreted them in my book.

The answer to this would be in pg. 19, in the ‘Maximum Levels’ section. It is pointed out how the learning of spells work. So I’d say of Level 1, since they wouldn’t be able to learn spells of lvl 2.

A homunculus servant, a book of arcane knowledge, a magic skull whispering secrets in the mage’s ears…