Is Take Aim underpowered?

skills

Take Aim adds a die of your attack type on the next attack you make. But it also uses the PC’s current action. Isn’t that less effective than just attacking every round and not using Take Aim.

For example, my PC is using a musket pistol, D10 damage.
If she doesn’t use Take Aim,
then round 1: d10 damage, round 2: d10 damage.
however, using Take Aim, then it becomes
round 1: Take Aim, round 2: d10 usual damage + % chance TA succeeded * d10
so with 10 points into TA, that is roughly 50% chance.

without TA: 2d10 = averages 10 total damage
with TA: 50% d10 + d10 = averages 7.5 total damage

Am I missing something?

Take Aim benefits weapons that require a lot of time to reload, such as muskets and pistols. It helps build up the potential damage and only dealing with one instance of the enemy defense. It’s not used for everything or all the time, but if the enemy has a 5 def, shooting it twice would have it’s damage reduced twice (by 10 in total) (and not counting the reload time in between). Instead, Take Aim, get an extra die, and if you have it use that Hero Coin to max the damage and only reduce it by 5 def.

It’s useful to overcome high-defense enemies by taking the extra action.

In game example. Defense on a target was 4, and the weapon I was using was a D6. I missed 3 rounds in a row because my roll couldn’t break that 4 Defense.

If I had Take Aim, or an ability that could add or upgrade dice, it would be easier. Yes you have to succeed the roll, but the payoff is more than just extra damage, its only counting the defense number once to get the extra damage.

DEF 5, max damage on a D10: 5
With Take Aim succeeding
DEF 5, max damage on 2 D10: 15

The defense is the barrier to contact, so if you can use take aim to be sure you’re striking, it’s worth the turn action. Remember if the damage roll doesn’t break the DEF, you’ve “Missed”

At the GM’a discretion, there’s also nothing in the description of the skill to stop a player from using it outside of combat to buff their next combat roll.

For example, perhaps the party finds themselves barricaded in a room, and a pursuing band of orcs is expected to break through in 1D4 rounds—the player could attempt to take aim in anticipation, ensuring their first attack roll is buffed once combat begins.

The skill is also useful if you find yourself out of position, particularly as a melee player, as there are times when you may be out of range to make an attack, but for various strategic reasons may not want to rush back into melee range (whether you’re injured, want to avoid a possible AoE cleave, wish to stay behind cover, etc). In these circumstances, taking aim can often be an efficient use of your action.

I agree.

My quick fix would be that the TAKE AIM action not only removes the disadvantage of a precision shot (say, in the eye of a monster) but also grant the player the choice between to roll their attack “with advantage” or to roll additional damage for that attack. D12 Ultimate Effort in ICRPG?

What do you think?

Personally, I would rule that take aim could provide additional effectiveness depending on what you are aiming at on the target. “Take aim at the mages mouth to silence him if you succeed the skill roll and deal high damage with the attack”, etc. If you aren’t aiming at anything in particular on the enemy, I would let take aim basically auto succeed against most targets, due to it using your action.

Part of the reason I rule it this way is to help it compete with the Accuracy spell effect.
Plus, I think it’s fun to incentivize players to be creative with skills. If they are creative, maybe they will even try using take aim outside of aiming at only enemies.

Take Aim benefits weapons that require a lot of time to reload, such as muskets and pistols. It helps build up the potential damage and only dealing with one instance of the enemy defense. It’s not used for everything or all the time, but if the enemy has a 5 def, shooting it twice would have it’s damage reduced twice (by 10 in total) (and not counting the reload time in between). Instead, Take Aim, get an extra die, and if you have it use that Hero Coin to max the damage and only reduce it by 5 def.

These are excellent points and addresses what I was missing about the skill, thank you.

I myself do not like to use the skill Take Aim like this in this way. To me, this is a “technical” use of the skill and not using it as intended, as in the PC uses the entire turn to aim at a seen target.

Not throwing shade, thanks for the input. In fact, I love the idea of the PC prepping for an attack before busting in the barricaded room and giving another damage die for that thought. (make it DEADLY!)

Well, as the other posters have noted Take Aim as is is just fine because the second die essentially disregards mob defense due to be added on top of the original die. But I really like your concept that since the PC is taking the entire turn to aim, to get a really good shot in, shouldn’t that shot ignore defense all together? I’m not going to change it yet, but it is an interesting thought.

Be careful with this. Take Aim is a high risk / high reward decision. Yes, it is using the PC’s entire action to aim, which could fail, but also if the PC is interrupted (is attacked for example) during the phases until the nest turn the Take Aim fails.

As I always saw it, advantage of take aim is that sometimes there is a social standoff before the combat initiates. When you are aiming your arrow at the bandit while your face talks to him, you get the bonus. Is that not how most people use it in other people’s games?

That is one way I could see it being used. The most common way I have used, and seen it used is when the ranged character is off in the distance and taking the extra time to really control their breathing, adjust for wind, the movement of the target, and the Coriolis effect. Then they take their shoot.

This is a great way to handle it, as not everyone in Crown And Skull is necessary a combat powerhouse.

In the latest d20plays video where Runehammer is being interviewed about the game, he mentioned that he’s played characters with no combat abilities and that the game can really still shine if all non-combat skills were used. He ran a fun-loving tailor.

Here’s the video for reference, timestamped: https://www.youtube.com/live/vLzDuhgoEcw?si=5aq_13-8sgjcEDJW&t=3082