ICRPG with Cardtography

playthrough

I created an ICRPG game using Kobold Presses Cardtography. Heres a link to how that works.

I’ve played it with three different sets of kids over the Thanksgiving weekend and they all loved it. Here was my set up.

I told the players we wre going into a dragon cave to defeat a dragon. I chose the Ace of Spades for the Black Drake and cut it into the top five cards then dealt 25 cards from the top of the dungeon down. As we progressed this was the set up.

Goblin Even clubs
Bore Worm odd clubs
Lava Flime even spades
Cave Roper odd spades
Hearts and Diamonds were treasure

At first I used the ancient and epic loot table for treasure and adapted the treasure to fit a one shot game. This worked well for the older kids but it was slow for the younger kids. So I made some adaptations

For younger kids I used three stats instead of six. Str, Dex and Int. They were basically sword, bow and, magic. The treasure was a d4 as follows. The short table helped move the game fast so younger kids didn’t get bored.

1 +1 Str
2 +1 Dex
3 +1 Int
4 +1 AC

Each session was about a half hour a good amount for kids. The set up was very easy as the DM and each session was very different.

With the success of the three sessions I want to expand on this. So I’m making caves for a white drake which is ice based, a blue drake which is water based and a green drake which is poison based. Also a wizard tower and a witches swamp. For the wizard tower I’m thinking of dealing 15 cards placing the boss at the bottom and then players draw a card each round as if they are moving up the tower. Let me know if you have ideas for other settings no matter how cliche. My kids are my players so cliche is ussually better in their case.

Its very much becoming a mini campaign but its easy to set up because I don’t have to map out the dungeons. I just select four monsters and a boss monster and let the cards do the rest.

There is one change I’m thinking of making. The amount of treasure is sometimes very high since 50% of the cards are some sort of treasure. I’m thinking of making hearts traps or puzzles but I need ideas for that. My thought is to do a d4 table for traps for each dungeon setting.

Mostly I thought I’d share this idea as I’ve had a lot of fun with it. I will update the thread with my progress in creating the dungeons. If people are interested I may do a pdf on all six dungeons I’m planning on setting up so they can run this as a mini campaign.

I’m setting up a white drake cave next. So everything is ice based. Theres not much in the core book for ice based monsters so I’m making some new ones. Heres one I made for wendigos.

Wendigo
:heart::heart:
+2 Damage and Hits
Cold Wind - Int magic attack. Near. Wendigo passes through player and deals d8 cold damage.

Blizzard - Wendigo creates a blizzard within a far of itself. Wind and snow swirls around making it hard to see. For 1d4 rounds all attacks against the Wendigo are hard and players must make a constitution save against the cold. On a fail they take 1d4 cold damage.

Wendigos are wind based creatures and are constantly moving. Their attacks and spells are movement based.

Awesome!

Take a peek at Atmar’s Cardography for another take on card-based dungeons, too. They have full adventures to go with each deck, but you can use the decks as deal-a-random-dungeon in a pinch, too!

I’m setting up traps and hazzards for the ice cave encounter. I would like four to do a d4 table. Here’s what I have so far.

1. Icicles
    With each step make a dex check. On a fail an icicle falls and does 1d4 damage. Icicles can be avoided by attacking the icicles in the path ahead. On a hit they fall to the ground. This requires a ranged weapon or spell.

2. Ice Bridge
    With each step the bridge cracks beneath the players feat. It breaks away in 1d6+3 rounds. The time is halved for each player that walks within a near of another player. If a player is on the bridge when it breaks they take 1d6 falling damage and slide through tunnels to an adjacent room. Roll a d6 to see which room they landed in (cardtography setup).

3. Snowball
    As the players cross the room snow balls packed with ice and rocks shoot out from the walls. Players that don’t pass a dexterity check with each movement take 1d4 damage. There is a lever disguised as an icicle to turn off the trap but its on the other side of the room.

4. Ice Tunnel
    Ice tunnels and slides fill the cave. Theres no telling where they go. This room has two ice slides and regular doors. Players can choose to take either the ice slide or the doors. If they take the door go to the next room. If they take the slide roll a d10 and count each room from the bottom up. The slide dumps them out into that random room. If the card is not flipped over flip it over and start the new encounter (cardtography setup).

The one I’m not sure about is the snowball one. It’s very man made for a dragon cave. I thought about doing an avalanche but had a hard time figuring out how to handle it. The other problem I have is almost everything I’m thinking up requires a Dex check or timer. I’d like to add some other types of checks but I’m having a hard time thinking of traps or hazards that are ice and snow based and in a naturally occurring cave that don’t require being quiet, not slipping, or breaking ice. All dex types. Any Ideas?

Based on what you said about DEX being overused, you could do – > make 1. Icicles WIS (you have to spot it if you have any hope of dodging it) and then DEX or INT to break them (ranged weapon or spell). For 3. make it extreme cold from an opened tunnel; CON save instead of DEX to resist it and STR (+) HEART effort to seal the opening to stop the cold.

That sounds great. I’ll make those changes. Thanks!

So my Ice Cave Setting is all setup. Here’s what I got.

Ice Dragon Cave
a. Snow Flime :heart: Clubs Even
b. Abominable Snow Monster :heart::heart: Clubs Odd
c. Wendigo :heart::heart:Spades Even
d. Wolves :heart: Spades Odd
e. White Drake :heart:5 Ace of Spades

Diamonds are Treasure picked from the Ancient Loot Table.

Hearts are Traps and Hazards. D4 from list.

1. Icicles
    With each step make a wisdom check to avoid overhead icicles that may fall as they cross the room. On a fail an icicle falls and does 1d4 damage. Icicles can be avoided by attacking the icicles in the path ahead. On a hit they fall to the ground. This requires a ranged weapon or spell.

2. Ice Bridge
    Ice has formed a bridge over a cavern in this room. With each step the bridge cracks beneath the players feat. The bridges structure can take has one heart of damage. With each movement players make a dexterity check. ON a fail they deal 1d4 damage to the bridge. If players are moving within a near of each other 1d4 damage is given for each player even if only one player failed. The bridge breaks after it takes one heart of damage. If a player is on the bridge when it breaks they take 1d6 falling damage and slide through tunnels to an adjacent room. Roll a d6 to see which room they landed in (cardtography setup).

3. Fierce Wind
    Openings in the cave created a wind tunnel in this room with fast moving freezing winds. With each movement players make a constitution check and take 1d4 damage on a fail.

4. Ice Tunnel
    Ice tunnels and slides fill the cave. Theres no telling where they go. This room has two ice slides and regular doors. Players can choose to take either the ice slide or the doors. If they take the door go to the next room. If they take the slide roll a d12. If in the bottom half of the map count each room from the bottom up. If in the top half count from the top down. The slide dumps them out into that random room. If the card is not flipped over flip it over and start the new encounter (cardtography setup).

The monsters come from the 2.0 Core Book with the exception of the following.

Abominable Snow Monster
+2 to hits and damage
Bite or Claw d6
Graple Attack - If it beats player in a strength challenge that player is grappled and squeezed by the monster. D6+2 damage until the player beats the monsters strength challenge. Monster can not make claw or bite attacks when grappling.

Chilling Gaze - monster stares at a player with in site and casts Int spell. If monster succeeds player takes d8 cold damage and makes a wis save. On a fail they are frozen for one turn and cannot move or attack.

Wendigo
+2 Damage and Hits
Cold Wind - Int magic attack. Near. Wendigo passes through player and deals d8 cold damage.

Blizzard - Wendigo creates a blizzard within a far of itself. Wind and snow swirls around making it hard to see. For 1d4 rounds all attacks against the Wendigo are hard and players must make a consitution save on their turn. On a fail they take 1d4 cold damage.

Wendigos are wind based creatures and are constantly moving. Their attacks and spells are movement based. They must make come sort of movement each turn. They will typically circle their targets.

Wolf
:heart:
Bite d6

Bite and Pull - a wolf can choose to grapple a creature and pull it to the ground. On a successful bite attack the wolf can roll a strength contest against a creature. If the wolf wins the creature is pulled to the ground until its next turn. Attacks made on the creature are easy.

Howl - As a pack hunter wolves are never far from the pack. A wolf can use its action to howl and 1d4 wolves will come and help it in the fight.

White Drake use Black Drake abilities but change out fire attack and immunity for cold.

Let me know if any one has any suggestions, changes or thoughts. Many thanks to @BigGrump for the suggestions on the traps.

Oh yeah note on the wendigos. I’m not using the D&D wendigos. Since I’m running this for kids that type seemed a bit much. These wendigos are based on the ones from MLP.

I completed a mountain dragon encounter.

Mountain Dragon
Unlike the other dragons that are map based this encounter is trail based. Draw 14 cards and place them in a stack. Then place the Ace of Spades at the bottom. Players follow the trail by drawing a card for their next encounter.

:clubs: Owl Bear :heart: Clubs Even
:clubs: Agnar :heart::heart: Clubs Odd
:spades: Griffon :heart::heart: Spades Odd
:spades: Basilisk :heart: Spades Even
:spades: Green Drake :heart:5

:diamonds: - Ancient Loot Table

:heart: - Traps - Hazzards 1d4

1. Rock Slide
    This section of the trail is covered in rocks that begin to slide with each step. Four movements are required to climb over the rocks. With each step roll a dex save. On a fail the rock slide takes 1d4 damage. If the rock slide takes one heart of damage the rock slide collapses. Any players still on the rockslide takes 2d6 damage and are moved back 3 cards. They must redo the three cards. If the cards are treasure they do not collect any more treasure.

2. Cliff Wall
    The path leads to a cliff wall. Players must climb it to move on. One heart of effort. If they roll a natural one they fall and take 1d6 damage.

3. Raging River
    A fast moving river blocks the players path. They must make one heart of effort to swim across. On a failed effort roll the players are pushed against sharp rocks and take 1d4 damage.

4. Twisting Path
    The path twists, turns and interescts in the woods. Players roll a wisdom check. If the majority fails go back three cards and redo the encounters except for treasure cards. Once they return to the twisting patch checks are easy. If they return a second time they are double easy. Continue until players pass. In the event of a tie the players pass and continue on the trail.

Owl Bear
Bite or Claw d6

Graple Attack - If it beats player in a strength challenge that player is grappled and squeezed by the monster. D6+2 damage until the player beats the monsters strength challenge. Monster can not make claw or bite attacks when grappling.

Griffin
Bite or Claw D6

Griffin’s often make dive attacks at their prey.

Grab and Drop
When a Griffin makes a successful claw attack it can choose to attempt a grapple on its prey. Players roll a strength contest against the griffon. On a fail they are lifted up and on the griffons next turn they are dropped taking 2d6 damage. If the griffon fails it is on the ground and can’t fly again until its next turn.

Basilisk
Bite or Claw d6

Basilisk can cast a petrifying spell on players that it can see and that can see it. Players make a wisdom save. On a fail the begin to turn to stone. All rolls are hard. The player must roll a wisdom throw at the beginning of each turn. On their next fail they turn to stone. Players can choose to avert their gaze and automatically succeed their save but must say so on their turn and all atacks made against the basilisk are hard. Placing Basilisk blood and using a healing spell on the player that has turned to stone will change them back.

Agnar
This is slightly nurfed to fit this setting. One heart instead of three and plus two to rolls instead of three to five.

Green Drake
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Same as Black drake. I’m considering changing the breath to an acid breath instead of fire. Perhaps even have a chance to corrode equipment.

I’m having way to much fun with these settings. Posting another one since I’ve added some new hazards and traps as well as new monsters. I figure someone might be able to use them in their own settings. Some of these are based on 5e monsters but I’ve tweeked them slightly to make them a little different and add some flair.

The further in the more of a story this concept has. I’m imagining it as a sort of frontier valley where a lot of dangerous creatures live. So dangerous that civilization doesn’t have a foothold in the area. There’s one very small town where the only economy comes from the gathering elements of the magical plants and creatures in the area which they ship out to more civilized lands. The PC’s then are the adventurers that take on the dangerous task of gathering these supplies. It’s extremely dangerous and has a high death count so the equipment of fallen adventurers litter the landscape. The dragons in this area are more beast like than sentient. More intelligent dragons would consider them to be lesser beasts much in the way we look at monkey’s. The magical properties of this area also attracts those that experiment in taboo magic because they can gather supplies themselves or from the one small town in the area where regulations are almost non existent.

Lake Dragon Encounter

:clubs: Tentacle :heart::heart: Clubs Odd
:clubs: Sprite Swarm :heart: Clubs Even
:spades: Alligator :heart: Spades Even
:spades: Twig Blight :heart::heart: Spades Odd
:spades: Blue Drake :heart:5 Ace of Spades

:diamonds: - Ancient Loot Table

:heart: - Hazzards and Traps d4 table

1. Raging River
    A fast moving river blocks the players path. They must make one heart of effort to swim across. On a failed effort roll the players are pushed against sharp rocks and take 1d4 damage.

2. Mud Pit
    It takes three movements to cross this area. With each movement make a wisdom check to avoid the mud pits. On a fail the player is stuck and can not move. It takes one heart of effort to become unstuck. They can use strength or dexterity as a roll for effort. While a player is stuck they roll a d10 at the end of each turn. On a one they lose a piece of equipment of their choice.

3. Thorny Thickets
    Thorny thickets grow up in front of the path. It takes a heart of effort to cut through and rolls are hard for players with out a sword. The thickets have some sort of magical properties and grow back in seconds so players can’t just cut a path for every one. Players can push through but must make a constitution save. On a fail they take 2d6 damage. For players with arcane knowledge the thickets can be harvested for their healing properties.

4. Cat Tails
    A long the edges of ponds and lakes grow cattails. The cat tails of Deakin Valley are a special variety. When a creature passes within a near of a ripe cattail it explodes releasing tiny seeds and a poison. The poison causes a paranoid confusion and creatures effected attack the closest creature to them including friends for 1d4 rounds. Players passing by cattails must make a wisdom save to see if they notice them. If They fail all near players roll a constitution save to see if they are effected by the poison. If they fail the constitution save the poison takes effect for 1d4 rounds.

Tentacle
From 2.0 Core book

Sprite Swarm
Sword and Bow 1d6

Entanglement Spell - Sprites cause the vines and plants around a players feet to rapidly grow. Player makes a strength save. On a fail they can not move. They re roll the strength save each turn until they break free.

Fairy Dust - Sprites throws fairy dust on a single player. The player makes a constitution saving throw. On a fail they are either poisoned or confused depending on the type of dust the pixie used. A poisoned player makes hard rolls on all rolls for 1d4 rounds or until they make the save. A confused player stares blankly and does not move or react to damage for 1d4 rounds or until they make the save. Players can roll a constitution save at the beginning of their turn while poisoned or confused and on a success they overcome the effects.

Alligator
+2 to strength and attack rolls.
Bite D6

Bite and Pull - an alligator can choose to grapple a creature and pull it to the ground. On a successful bite attack the alligator rolls a strength contest against a creature. If the alligator wins the creature is pulled to the ground until it succeeds a strength contest. The crocodile can make chomping attacks that automatically succeed as long as the creature is grappled.

Twig Blight
+2 to rolls
Claw Attack and whipping branches 1d6

Root Grapple - The twig blight digs it’s roots underground and pops them up grappling a players feet. Players make a dexterity saving throw. On a fail they are grappled and cannot move. If they make a strength saving throw at the beginning of their turn they break free.

Blue Drake
Same as black drake except immune to water damage. Breath is a spray of boiling water. Blue Drakes have no wings and do not fly how ever they are great swimmers.