I had my first session as a GM!

playthrough
inspiration
new-gm

TLDR; The session was tons of fun, and I have a ton to learn still, but my party enjoyed it and want more! Aaand I’ve added a lot of thoughts and drawings around the session here.

Just wanted to share my experience as a new GM; I did it! I ran the first session with my demon-themed campaign! Before this, I’ve been a player in Pathfinder, DnD, Tales from the Loop and Star Wars campaigns, currently in a 1 year long DnD campaign. Not as much as some of you, but it’s been enough to make me wanna try GMing for a while. Enter ICRPG and Runehammer, and here we are. :grin:

The session was held online. And against my best judgement, my group consists of 5 PCs - people I’m quite comfortable around to begin with. I figured since it’s turn-based it shouldn’t pose too much of a problem, and it really didn’t.

I’m trying to gather the “short” version of my process here, which started half a year ago or so, when I started getting inspired. But I only started preparing in November/December I think.

About the campaign
We’re in the Demon Realm. A high-fantasy place where demons live. Demon Lords rule territory, each different from the other. Despite their differing appearances, there are still some recognized archetypes:

The hunters (brute force)

The seekers (magically adept; blind but can see magic streams)

The shadows (dexterious, can merge into the shadows)

The winged (strongest archetype, some can turn into dragons)

Our players find themselves in the service of Demon Lord of the Great Forest, Fernaghyr (generally referred to as Demon Lord Fern). Here’s an early sketch of him, as well as his most trusted bodyguards:

They’ve been recognized as individuals with potential, and have been recruited into a special force-in-training under a winged commander, Draukh.

Tabletop Simulator
I decided to run the campaign in Tabletop Simulator since everyone had it, and it just gave me an overall good impression when it came to freedom and customizing. I’ve found that adding everything as cards is a great way to add things in bulk! Be it cards, tokens or maps, they all work great with the format since cards support transparency. I ended up with a combination of custom drawn maps and images from Unsplash to set the mood in case I wanted some theatre of the mind.

Bonus: Cards can be flipped, so adding a death state for enemies and players alike was simple. Luckily one of the players had already used it to setup DnD sessions, so I got some neat tips here and there. After some tweaking here and there, it’s starting to look pretty neat!

A shot of the table setup:

Characters
I volunteered to draw my party’s characters because I love these kinds of things. I got permission to create all but one character (the one in heavy armor). I love making character designs, so I had a lot of fun with it. Making tokens for the board, I color-coded them with yellow for allies, blue for the PCs and red for enemies.

I didn’t have enough time/energy to create tokens for all enemies and NPCs, so my quick fix was to make placeholder enemy and ally tokens. My goal is to not have to use them, but they took off a lot of pressure for me in the meanwhile!

Initial sketches for character presets:

The main enemy of my one-shot, lady Teranoir:

Takeaways

• I’m very glad I did a session zero beforehand, where we went over character creation, the group and the basic mechanics. Even though I had to recap some of it today, people grapsed most of it quite fast.
  • Although I probably overprepared, I’m glad I did! It was a lot of fun and helped me coming up with things on the spot.
  • Adding custom skills is easy, and can add personality to characters.
  • Tabletop Simulator: Adding items to player inventories beforehand is a smart thing to do (I forgot and spent almost an hour fixing it with my group). Adding loot as cards could also be an idea (can then shuffle and place cards when a player tries looting).
  • Temporary cards are great to use in a pinch, but it takes time writing…
  • Cards for items is a nice touch for the players. Icons per category can further improve quick scanning for equipment, skills and consumables.
  • I absolutely love card type tokens!
  • My time estimates were way off, and I only ran part 1/3 today. So my one-shot will probably last one or two more sessions.

I learned a lot from this session. The players were also nice and patient with me, and seemed to enjoy themselves. This was originally intended as a one-shot that would be concluded this session, but we spent all our time on the very first map! They fought against another demon group, the mountain tribe; Humanoid goat demons with goat eyes, horns and hooves. And at the end, they wanted more!! So we’ll have another session next week to continue :tada:

They also seemed to enjoy the NPCs I made. Since I forgot to let them pick a class item at the start, I instead treated it as a reward after the combat! Enter merchant Larce, selling these items at such a high price that the players couldn’t afford them, but commander Draukh of course offered one to each player, since “They had a lot yet to learn before they would be ready as a group”, which was met with laughter from the group. :slightly_smiling_face:

For the next session, I’ll create a HQ for them and give them each a room because I can. They’re gonna feel riiight at home. Draukh will assign the rest of my one-shot as a rescue mission, and Larce might be visiting with new items to sell. Potions, food, maybe some better items?

It might not be a one-shot anymore, guys…

Fantastic. This sounds cool. Also this art is dope as hell

That is Awesome!!! It might be the onions…but I think this Post brought a tear to my eye!!!

Amazing job! Very cool art too. :smiley:

Yeah! Nice job. Sounds like you have a great base to create for. I want to know more about Teranoir :heart_eyes:

The art is amazing as all HELL!
Well done on the fun! :smiley:

yay for tabletop simulator, and congrats on your first game!

Thank you all for the kind words! I feel very humble, there’s still a lot more for me to learn.

@Fuzzymagoo what I know about her so far:
Lady Teranoir, the Albino Seeker
Despite being a seeker, she managed to stake her claim as a demon lord. She has powerful magic, her specialty being mind control of enemies to control the situation to her liking.

She is usually accompanied by two loyal subjects - the hunter Lethen, and the shadow Veleth. They stall for time and protect her when she casts her magic; the stronger the grip, the longer the spell.

Initially the plan was to use her in the session as a final boss, attacking the demon lord. But if I want it to be believable, what with the players still getting the hang of things, she might need to be degraded from an demon lord. Maybe as a commander from a different “tribe”, attacking one of Demon Lord Fern’s outposts and causing trouble there.

Or I could save her for later (I really love her being this powerful enemy), and instead have a goat demon exacting revenge on an outpost. Or they could be sent on a mission to claim an outpost… . It’s pretty clear at this point though that I’m already on session based planning. :joy:

More thoughts on the session if anyone is interested:

Game wise the session was pretty bare bones, with basic enemies, no traps or even treats on the map, and the NPC Draukh (two attacks, treated the enemies as 1HP ones) to demonstrate the difference between them and a winged commander. Also to speed up the battle a bit. I also tested using a reinforcement timer (1d4 of turns before a few enemies showed up), which was interesting.

When a member looted an enemy during battle and I hadn’t prepared any specific loot, I rolled once on the shabby loot table and got soldier’s ration. After combat, they tried looting the rest of the enemies. Since I was pre-occupied with adding class loot as temp cards at the time, I ended up handing out enough of the ration item that each player got one. They accepted it so I’d say it worked pretty well as a quick fix :slight_smile:

I feel keeping the mechanics simple this time was a good move since it gave me less new things to focus on at once, and I could instead work on immersing the group into the situation. “You see a dying ally and an enemy demon running towards your mage ally, what do you do?”.

Yes, I got to test the dying mechanism, with Draukh being a terrible medic! He did manage to stabilise and heal the fallen party member after a while. But next time, they’re on their own.

I also made them feel that describing how they did things could give them better or worse chances at rolling. Not to an extreme, just based on what made sense in the moment. They spoke up if they felt I made wrong judgement, and I adjusted where I agreed with them.

For the next time I’ll also add in some custom abilities for players who wanted a few more options. The other players wanted to keep it simple for now, which is also fine. These skills are after all meant add some more base strategies, while adding simple mechanics to balance them out. I basically compared whether the skills were around the same level of a weapon attack.

I can do a separate post for the skill creation discussion however, maybe even later today.

I think Teranoir’s portrait is too cool to be downgraded…might I suggest a reoccurring character, maybe she is something “else” too powerful for the party but she wants to see their potential realized (or just wants to have some fun with 'em for awhile).

Totally agreed. She’s such a keeper. I guess she could also be a chaotic entity just doing as she pleases.

Like those bad guys in some shows: “I like you, get stronger so we can have som fun for real!” x)

Superb & fantastic job and recap! :heart:

Unfortunately people already said everything I wanted to say, so ditto everyone!

I love TTS but my players don’t, sadly.

This is just great. Congrats on a great first session @Cherique!

There is so much to like here. The art is awesome. I am glad your game went well. I absolutely love the setting and how your art brings the theme to life. Great job!

Hey, here’s an update on my progress so far! I’ve been able to do two more sessions so far:

The second game was a raid at a Mountain demon outpost.
Arriving at the outpost, they noticed something being odd. The guards were sluggish and while they were fighting, they acted absent-minded. The party’s mage identified it as mind control magic, something they also had to resist during combat, as well. Had to fight some tougher enemies at the end, too. Finally, they met Lady Teranoir. She taunted them and intrigued them. They were unable to do anything against her as she casually walked away, making them feel powerless and really curious about what comes next. They also managed to take a prisoner, a poor clueless goat demon who’d been briefly brainwashed but snapped right out of it.

The third game became a stealth mission where they searched for clues.
Initially I’d a different session planned, but two persons couldn’t make it, so we made it into a side quest for the remaining players. At least I have the next session all ready until next week now. :smile:

They’d gotten intel about a mystery facility deep in a forest, and went out to find it. Not too far in, they discovered guards, and recognized them as enemies. They were doing well sneaking around, and as they launched a failed attack (an arrow that missed quite badly), even managed to trick the guards into believing it was just one person who’d misfired their arrow, going into the forest to fetch it.

Yes, it all went well… Until one of them stood up and fired a blazing fireball in the middle of a dark forest at night! They had to fight hard, reinforcements were on their way, and the PCs took some heavy damage as they fought three guards. One of the players managed to knock the remaining guard unconscious just before reinforcements appeared, dragging him along back to their camp, fleeing for their lives.

Back at camp, they interrogated their second prisoner. This one is more permanently brainwashed, but yielded after the party threatening with pain, the devious bunch. They learned of a prison (to be used for the next main session!!) and gained a key to the entrance. Oh, and one guard’s uniform they can use for their advantage.

For the combat I’d planned a simple map, but we ended up just having the fight on top of the image, roughly imagining who was where using the tokens. I loved that.

The last session was especially a lot of fun, probably because it felt like my first successfully planned 2-hour session (the previous ones have taken longer than I’d prefer), with just enough content to give tons of fun and being easy to prep for. So it feels like I’m getting where I want to be at. And that is thrilling!

Keep it up @Cherique! Sounds like you are having great sessions with your players.