Hunter Class

question

I have an idea for a hunter character class. I wonder if Kahns Spells and feats has this type. I’m debating buying that next or the spells book. Also looking for inspiration in creating variants within the hunter class.

As I’ve been working on the cardtography game its becoming more of a campaign setting. Its based on monster hunting, particularly dragons, and while theres 5e classes like ranger that covers hunting and terrain, I was thinking of making more hunter focused class within ICRPG that took hunting a step further.

One idea I have is the Arcane Trapper. Its built on the idea of sacrificing a turn to set up a trap that would give bigger rewards later. It includes things like drawing arcane circles on the ground that trigger an effect when a creature enters into them or setting up magical devices that would trigger simotaneously to attack, grapple, weaken, or inflict other effects on creatures.

I’m also thinking of tracking abilities that would have advantages on stealth, initiative and could also use clues from the current area to get information on the areas ahead which would give the players ideas of whats coming before they move forward.

Does any one else have ideas on what they would like to see in a hunter class?

Well I read this right after you posted, but seeing you still need some input, I’ll just mention: I like the idea of flushing out the Hunter class a lot! Most times, I see this class just fizzle into having a pet or shooting a bow. I really like your idea of investing in Traps and the bonus you get for waiting until its triggered, like waiting turns is your cost and the magnified effects/damage is your payoff.

You’ve nailed the head on this so I can’t think of much, but maybe include LURES (whistles, noisemakers, illusions, etc.) to help coax targets into your traps.

If you decide to offer arch-types and the Arcane Trapper is just one, I could still see doing a “pets” class and the different pet types could give advantages such as an Eagle would do your scouting areas ahead, a Wolf grants bonus when working together, a Snake grants speed/initiative/evasive bonus, etc. Those are random ideas but the main point is making active companions really matter to the character’s abilities and not just being a 2nd character to control.

Thats the type of stuff I was looking for. I had considered pets but having them as actual working animals that contribute to the class would add so much more. Thanks for the advice.

I also enjoy the idea of a Monster Hunter or Witcher such as Geralt of Rivia, where once you defeat an enemy you can use its remains to make potions and tonics that grant you powers and abilities. So like an Alchemist class but based around Tracking, Hunting, and learning your prey’s weaknesses?

That reminds me of the Leviathan hunter class I read. It was something like you take a piece of a slain monster and add it to your armor or as a pendant and it grants extra AC when fighting that monster in the future. Kind of reminds me of the shield Bowen had in Dragon Heart where he has all the teeth or horns from dragons he had slain. That would be fun to add to this.

Oh yeah definitely! I had forgotten about Dragon Heart lol.

Hadn’t either until you mentioned the remains. I like the idea of an Alchemist type of class like. Ranger has this concept of favorite animal to hunt. With that you declare more or less a class of creatures and you have advantages in tracking and fighting that class. What if that was taken a step further. Instead of one favorite class you gain knowledge on specific creatures. I’m thinking it would look something like this.

Once per day a hunter can make an effort roll to gather information on a specific creature adding their INT modifier to the roll. Once they have applied two hearts of effort and they hunt down and kill that specific creature the hunter becomes an expert on that creature and has +3 to all rolls and effort when encountering that creature again. The hunter can apply this to an unlimited amount of creatures.
They keep list of creatures they are experts on and add to it once they have completed the research and killed a new creature.

I should probably add non sentient creature. I think it would require a lot more effort to become an expert on sentient creatures and learn how to hunt and kill them. Thats what an assassin class is for.

Yeah that sounds pretty good to me! They could also scour the world’s libraries for books on different creatures, perhaps reducing the time/effort they need OR giving them an advantage when tracking one down.

Monster Hunter setting ideas

You’ve got some good ideas here. I’ve been mulling over a monster hunter type game.

Nothing at all written down really but includes some offer following;

• a hex area map with Rules for monster spawns depending on how close to the monsters home location the party is and on the tracking skills of the hunters.
  • a monster ai so that hunters could learn what the monsters can do and when they do it.
  • weapons and armour crafted from slain monster parts
  • monsters made of chunks so that hunters could tactically attack monsters to prevent certain attacks or expose weak points.
  • traps
  • timers that include other monsters wandering into the battle area depending on location

Monster Hunter setting ideas

I would totally play that game. That sounds amazing.

Don’t have much to add to the discussion of class creation (though it’s been an interesting thread read so far), but just wanted to chime in on your inquiry about Khan’s Spells and Feats.

It doesn’t have class builds like you’re suggesting. It mainly lists of spells building off what’s available from ICRPG Magic, and Feats are an alternative to using LOOT or TAGS to give characters special abilities/bonuse. Off the top of my head, I can’t recall if anything there is applicable to your Hunter Class ideas there, but it’s a nice resource and serves as some good inspiration.

I had some thoughts the last couple days

• I think i’d like my monster hunter game to be like a group playing through Megaman. Monsters could be killed in any order or nearly any order, but with monsters having weaknesses to certain attributes of other monsters It means hunting in the right order makes things easier.

• limiting the need to kill monsters repeatedly unlike the source material and with the dot point above, it means the game/campaign has a finite length, and i’m thinking 5-10 sessions would be a good amount.

• the game could be played with players having the hex map or played with only the GM having the completed map and Characters are required to map it themselves. this works into the hunter/tracking portion of things.

• I’ve devised some monster spawning rules based on the distance from the monsters home hex. The closer you get the more likely you will track them down.

I like the idea of monsters having weaknesses to other monsters. I may implement something like that. My game is super cliche and while I’m trying to keep it simple though it does seem to keep getting bigger. As I have it there’s ice dragons, fire dragons, water dragons and mountain dragons. They live in various mountains surrounding and making up Dracones Valley. It would be interesting if defeating one would give players an item that could be applied to a weapon, armor, or magic type and give advantages against another. Then it’s just a matter of rock paper scissoring it. Like fire has advantage over ice, ice advantage over mountain, mountain advantage over water, water advantage over fire. Then no matter where they start there’s a path and they can learn it on the way.

I’ve been thinking about the Arcane Trapper aspect and I think it comes down to four milestones that a trapper needs to be an arcane trapper.

1. Magic Effort on trap building.
    This is kind of a feat. Arcane trappers gain the knowledge and ability to build traps both mechanical and magical and are able to create and set up traps quickly and effectively. Using a d8 magic effort reflects their proficiency in trap building.

2. Trigger Spell
    Arcane trappers learn the trigger spell and can trigger their traps remotely within a far of the trap. This includes both mechanical and magical traps so long as the player set up an item intending it to be a trap. For example say a player knows a creature is passing by an area. They can set up a magic missile wand or a crossbow and when the creature passes within range they can remotely set off the cross bow or cast magic missile from the wand so long as they are within a far of the item and they intended it to be a trap. They can’t just notice a wand on a table and say I cast trigger and set off the wand. They at least have to touch it first setting it up as a trap. The trigger spell can be used on multiple traps at the same time.

3. Magic Circles
    Arcane trappers can draw magic circles that can trigger a grapple, or damage spell or any spell the player knows. The effect can be triggered when any creature enters the circle or the trigger spell.

4. Targeted Magic Circles
    Arcane trappers can create circle spells that target a specific creature instead of any creature.

Thats it as far as mile stones. The rest is up to the players using items keeping in mind the aspects of traps. I think theirs three. Triggers, effects and lures. To set a trap a player has to determine what items sets up the effect, what triggers the trap and how to get a creature to trigger the trap. Triggers can be, trip wires, presence of a creature, passwords, spells, heat or light detection or any other event that causes the trap to funtions. Effects can be magical or mechanical and it’s up to the DM to determine how they work in their game. Effects maybe, magic missiles, crossbow bolts, spears, grappling ropes, freezing spells, burning spells, poisons. What ever the player can come up with, gather the materials for and build.

Lures also can be items magical or non magical, anything from rotting meat, charm spells or your favorite barbarian player.

Building Traps
This is up to the players imagination and what they can gather materials for. The player may ask the DM if they can purchase three magic missile wands. They then can spend their turns placing magic missile wands around the map and use a trigger spell to set them off simultaneously. Or maybe they want to grapple a dragon and decide they will put a dragon piercing spear in a tube behind a wind gust wand and then attach the spear to spider silk rope and an immovable rod. They would gather those items, spend what ever the DM determines to be enough effort to build the trap then they can use that trap in a fight.

Traps in Battle
This gets a little trickier but I think theirs a couple methods. The simple method is the player uses their turn to set the trap. When the trap is triggered player rolls a D20 and adds their wisdom to see if it hits. The damage is determined based on the effect of the trap plus the players wisdom.

This can be more elaborate though. You could have the player roll to set up the trap. If they succeed the room challenge rating they roll effort. If magical it’s a d8 plus Wisdom. The effectiveness of the trap is determined by the effort put in. Take the total effort and divide it by two and add that to the roll and effect. For example a player sets up a crossbow with a wire that pulls the trigger. They roll to setup the trap. They succeed the room rating so the trap is set. They roll effort and roll an 8 plus 2 wisdom. The trap has a +5 to roll and damage. So the monster triggers the trap it fires the cross bow. The player rolls a d20+5 to see if it hits. If it does they roll d6+5 damage. If the players effort setting the trap was a 3 then divide by 2 is 1.5 round up to +2 and that is what is rolled on the effect of the trap. The player can then choose to take an extra turn putting more effort into a trap and making it more effective.

Thats what I have for Arcane Trapper. Let me know what you think or if I should make changes.

I like your arcane trapper ideas.

Thanks for the ideas.

I think I’ll post my further ideas about a mh game to a different thread though because I feel like I’m being a distraction to your ideas.

No worries. I’ll follow you to your new thread. I like your ideas.

Alright here is the full hunter class. Now it just needs to be play tested.

The following milestones give players a path to become great monster hunters with a lot of rare skills. Hunters must first complete the learning to hunt milestone for one creature before moving on to the variants. Players can work on any variant at any time or at the same time so long as they follow the paths within the variants in order.

Learning to Hunt
Once per day a hunter can make an effort roll to gather information on a specific nonsentient creature adding their INT modifier to the roll. This information can be the form of book study, asking experts, or observations in the wild. Once they have applied two hearts of effort and they hunt down and kill that specific creature the hunter becomes an expert on that creature and has +3 to all rolls and effort when encountering that creature again. The hunter can apply this to an unlimited amount of creatures. Hunters keep a list of creatures they are experts on.

Arcane Trapper Variant
1.Trap Building
This is kind of a feat. Arcane trappers gain the knowledge and ability to build traps both mechanical and magical and are able to create and set up traps quickly and effectively. Using a d8 magic effort reflects their proficiency in trap building.

2.Trigger Spell
Arcane trappers learn the trigger spell and can trigger their traps remotely within a far of the trap. This includes both mechanical and magical traps so long as the player set up an item intending it to be a trap. The trigger spell can be used on multiple traps at the same time.

For example a player knows a creature is passing by an area. They can set up a magic missile wand or a crossbow as a trap. When the creature passes within range they can remotely set off the cross bow or cast magic missile from the wand using the trigger spell so long as they are within a far of the item and they intended it to be a trap. They can’t just notice a wand on a table and cast trigger to set off the wand. They have to touch the item first setting it up as a trap.

1. Magic Circles
    Arcane trappers can draw magic circles that can trigger a grapple, damage spell or any spell the player knows. The effect is triggered when any creature enters the circle or by using the trigger spell.

4.Targeted Magic Circles
Arcane trappers can create circle spells that target a specific creature instead of any creature.

Tracker Variant

1. The Art of Tracking
    Trackers get +3 to rolls involving tracking. Trackers can use clues from their current location to see whats coming ahead or what monsters have passed through the area.

2a. Tracking Help
Trackers can train animal companions to help with tracking. This gives the animals +3 to tracking rolls. Complete the Animal Trainer variant first. This step can be skipped.

2b. Tracker Stealth
Trackers get +3 to stealth rolls against nonsentient creatures. At this point the tracker has learned important aspects like wind of tracking like direction and cover that gives them an edge on stealth.

Animal Trainer Variant

1. Pick an Animal to Train
    Hunters can train an animal companion that helps them hunt. The animal will obey comands and protect the hunter at all costs. Hunters complete the study on the animal in the same way as they would under “Learn to Hunt” instead of killing the animal the hunter rolls checks to gain the animals trust and tame it. Checks are determined by the DM.

2. Animal Items
    Animals can be trained to use specific items made for them. Players work with the DM to come up with items and how they work. Examples include armor that has special attacks or seeing stones that animals can carry amd provide a view for the player.

Trophy Hunter Variant

1. Trophies
    Hunters can take trophys like horns, teeth or bones and apply them to armor or weapons. The hunter must spend one heart of effort and use a magic infused oil as part of the application. The trophy will add +1 AC against attacks from the creature the trophy came from or +1 on attacks against the creature the trophy came from. Set up at least one trophy to move to the next step.

2. Nothing Wasted
    Hunters can spend a heart of effort to gather, poisons, oils, blood or other parts of a creature. Those parts will temporarily give the hunter or an item an attribute of the creature it was collected from. Each heart of effort is good for one application. Its up to the DM to determine how many applications can come from a single creature and what effects that part of the creature can give.

For instance a hunter can spend a heart of effort gathering poison from a manticores tail. This poison can be applied to a weapon giving that weapon the manticores poison effect for 1d4 attacks. Magic effects cast by creatures can not be collected in this way.

Notes on Traps
There are three parts to traps. Triggers, effects and lures. To set a trap a player has to determine what items sets up the effect, what triggers the trap and how to get a creature to trigger the trap. Triggers can be, trip wires, presence of a creature, passwords, spells, heat or light detection or any other event that causes the trap to funtion. Effects can be magical or mechanical and it’s up to the DM to determine how they work in their game. Effects maybe, magic missiles, crossbow bolts, spears, grappling ropes, freezing spells, burning spells, poisons. What ever the player can come up with, gather the materials for and, build.

Lures also can be items magical or non magical, anything from rotting meat, charm spells or your favorite barbarian player.

Building Traps
This is up to the players imagination and what they can gather materials for. The player may ask the DM if they can purchase three magic missile wands. They then can spend their turns placing magic missile wands around the map and use a trigger spell to set them off simultaneously. Or maybe they want to grapple a dragon and decide they will put a dragon piercing spear in a tube behind a wind gust wand and then attach the spear to spider silk rope and an immovable rod. They would gather those items, spend what ever the DM determines to be enough effort to build the trap then they can use that trap in a fight.

Traps in Battle
This gets a little trickier but I think theirs a couple methods. The simple method is the player uses their turn to set the trap. When the trap is triggered player rolls a D20 and adds their wisdom to see if it hits. The damage is determined based on the effect of the trap plus the players wisdom.

This can be more elaborate though. You could have the player roll to set up the trap. If they succeed the room challenge rating they roll effort. If magical it’s a d8 plus Wisdom. The effectiveness of the trap is determined by the effort put in. Take the total effort and divide it by two and add that to the roll and effect. For example a player sets up a crossbow with a wire that pulls the trigger. They roll to setup the trap. They succeed the room rating so the trap is set. They roll effort and roll an 8 plus 2 wisdom. The trap has a +5 to roll and damage. So the monster triggers the trap it fires the cross bow. The player rolls a d20+5 to see if it hits. If it does they roll d6+5 damage. If the players effort setting the trap was a 3 then divide by 2 is 1.5 round up to +2 and that is what is rolled on the effect of the trap. The player can then choose to take an extra turn putting more effort into a trap and making it more effective.