How to DIY a “Witch” player character?

My daughter wants to play a witch-type character. Any tips or ideas on creating this class?

To me they are kind of a mix between a priest and a mage, using magic in some cases, and getting their power from a higher being in others. Also, they make potions, can hex/curse people.

The first thing that comes to mind is doing just that, focus her points in INT and WIS and use WIS for the priest type spells and give her a potion brewing kit that requires WIS rolls to create potions and then use INT to cast all other spells/hexes.

After that there are many ways to customize her but I feel like those ways will come out as you play and see what she likes or dislikes.

I think I may put some work (effort?) into converting over some concepts and spells from the 5e Warlock class towards this goal.

Ah man just ask her what sort of spells she does and how. Is she a Harry Potter witch or Arthur and the sword in the stone witch? I’ll assume the second (the first is just a wizard)

In my opinion WIS main stat. Witches are akin to medicine men or shamans in my mind (Terry Pratchett). They rely on their intuition, knowledge of nature and understanding of people (unlike wizards). Ultimately I’d ask your daughter what feels right.

I think focus split between Witch-y spells and potions is the way to go.
Do you want spells to be specific or open-ended?

Spell ideas:
Hex: turn target into frog for 1d4 rounds
Curse: requires sacrifice. do an effect with one way to remove it. Stronger the effect, larger the sacrifice (sacrifice just means something of value to player)
Familiar: obvious.
Polymorph: change into another body, object or huge animal!
Detect magic, etc
Speak to spirits

Potions
Potion brewing: make 1d4 potions (diff types of potions require different hearts of effort). Or simply make 1 potion with 1 action.
-new potions can be created with Hard rolls (and new ingredient?)
-healing potion/love potion/sleep potion/forgetful potion/etc

Milestones
Cauldron: +3 to potion brewing (or increase number of potions made)
Witches ladle: Use magic effort when brewing
Mystic orb: see glimpses of futures/distant places
Animated Broomstick: like Alladin’s carpet
Familiar: could be an item!
Witches hat: +3 charisma

In retrospect I think solely potions and good milestones could be more than enough. With a few more utility based spells (talk to spirits, detect magic, etc) as “rituals”

Go the Blizzard route: ask yourself what the fantasy of a Witch is?
Or, what is the fantasy of her particular Witch-class?

Then, fill up bullet points, three is the optimal way to do it.
*Make potions.
*Deceive peasants.
*Whatever else she may have in mind, the two previous options were just there for flavour.

Once you’ve done that, figure out a few options and Milestones. Perhaps even origins. But definitely a look, define a look or two for her to choose from. Keep the look as informative as possible as to what her class does. And make it cool!

Then, according to her backstory and origin, make spells just for her. ^.^ You’re done!

All good ideas. I may tie some of the “spells” to potions, or make a potion a required material component of the spell. Depending on the type of witch she wants to play, I may make gradual physical corruption a possible side effect of spell failure. Permanent -1 charisma, and such.

There is also a “Witch” class in the Ghost mMountain portion of WORLDS. If you haven’t, check that out as a good base to go off.

Hey there, for inspiration may i shamefully plug my Magic Patrons list. Have over 20 magic patrons she may like to gain her spells from

Click here

Theres a pdf download of season 1 list in the link too.