How do I implement ICRPG rules in my current 5E game?

homebrew
inspiration
question

Hey guys I am super new to ICRPG and can use a little help. I am currently running Descent Into Avernus for my weekly group and want to sprinkle some ICRPG goodness into our campaign without the group feeling like I am changing systems…yet.

I would love for us to transition to the ICRPG system in the future, possibly after this campaign. So here is my question. What would you sprinkle into a module like DIA to help the group see the potential of the ICRPG system? If you were in my shoes, what would be the easiest mechanics or rules to throw at the table today?

I look forward to the feedback and am super excited to get my group hot on ICRPG like I am!

I’ve been playing solely ICRPG for so long, I may not have a ton of great advice, but Master Edition does have some suggestions on plug-ins that could prove helpful starting points. I’ll defer to others who have been in a similar boat though for further details.

Kane beat me too it.

Room Target Numbers, everything in the room has the same DC for the scene. Class Skills are Easy (Target -3) some monsters may be Easy to hit others may be Hard (Target +3). Don’t worry about individual monster AC Just tag them as Easy or Hard

Mooks and Super Mooks: Glass Gun Monsters, they go down in 1 or 2 hits so they don’t lengthen combat but still pose a threat.

Simplified Monster Abilities: Simplify monster abilities down to just a hand full of thematically appropriate powers useable on its turn. Anything that can be on a timer should. [edit] Lair abilities, breath weapons, other arbitrary or indirect threats should be on a d4 timer to keep the party engaged and moving toward conflict resolution.

Hearts not Specific HP round the monster’s HP to the nearest 10, then divide by 10 that’s the number of hearts a monster has.

Number of Actions: some boss or brute monsters may have additional actions, more than the Player Characters per round this may seem unfair but in the action economy it’s fine.

Simplified Effort I find is hard to bring over as 3.5/5e pf1/2 has a lot of bloat in both monster HP and damage.

Here are a few thoughts I posted a while back:

I’ve run two 5e campaigns with ICRPG mechanics on the DM side and normal 5e rules on the player side. On the DM side, I used a single target number; made all of the monsters have hit points in groups of 10 and a single bonus for all rolls; used timers; and began presenting content in discrete spaces or “rooms,” except for an occasional dungeon crawl. I slowly introduced concepts like Effort: “Give me a d6 of effort to pick that lock,” which is no different than doing 10 damage to chop down a door (illustrated in the DMG). For enemies, I just made up their abilities and made players making saving throws against “powerful spells,” which they are used to seeing in 5e anyway (saving throws against spells). I also used the ICRPG loot tables. Again, totally compatible, and no one was the wiser. On the player facing side, they all just leveled up as normal. It was honestly super easy with no major changes required, and it made my life waaaaay easier.

If the group seemed receptive, I would totally introduce the Easy/Hard mechanic instead of advantage/disadvantage. And the piece that would seal the deal, I think, would be the Easy roll after a failure. No one gets advantage that often, ever, in 5e, and so I think you could safely add that piece and be playing ICRPG.

For the record, I successfully converted one of my groups fully to ICRPG. Once I had all of the above, I firmly established effort. Then, tied to effort, I made all weapons do D6. After that, I removed skills and just had players roll their stat bonuses. Then I re-tooled hit points to an even number and introduced hearts. I slowly reskinned player abilities in terms of ICRPG terms. The final piece was converting magic to a list of simple spells and a roll-to-cast system. That final hurdle was the hardest, as casters get particular. But once I showed them that they could basically perform a ton of cool effects, then I had them. The total conversion to ICRPG took probably 10 weeks, adding a small new piece at a time. Towards the end, I collected their character sheets and returned new ones to them with everything written out, and it made all the difference. But, if you are going to go down this road, make sure your group is ready for it. My other group told me flatly: I don’t want to play ICRPG; I want to play 5e. Fair enough. You’ll be playing that. I’ll be playing ICRPG on my end.

I know this sounds simple but adding hero coins to the mix may be a cool thing to do. The folks who responded ahead of me have already given super solid advice that I could not improve on.

What the others said. TN simplifies things for both GM and players.
I would also add that 5e gets bloated by the time the characters hit level 10.
I had players hit points cap at Level 3 and characters levels cap at 5. That means that they reach level 5 but they don’t get a hp boost at level 4 and 5.

Bloated by level 10… that’s generous of you. D&D is bloated starting at character creation.

whats worked for me is to implement stuff in my control bit by bit

you could also look into hardcore 5e, it streamlines lots of 5e

Check out this conversion guide!

I did this, started in 5e, slowly added more and more ICRPG until we just agreed as a group to roll it over.

First things for me are:

• Timers:my players loved them, I loved them, we use them all the time now.

• Single, transparent targets: this one takes some adjusting for some players but normally once it gets tested in practice and people see the usability benefit, they’re won over. Even if their brain still tells them it should be easier to hit the kobolds then the young dragon in the same fight.

• Meaningful Differentiation: I round all the numbers in 5e to the nearest 5 on my side of the table. I didn’t do that to the players until we moved all the way over. But there really isn’t any reason for a monster to have 11 HP instead of 10 HP, or 13 AC instead of 15 AC.

you could do 10hp on monsters per CR and average damage based on size
d6 - small
d8 - medium
d10 - large
d12 - huge or greater

I like the idea of enemies having dice added to their rolls rather than flat #s. For instance, a strong orc could do 1d6+1d4 of damage when hitting.

Bloated at character creation–unmanageable at level 10.