Home brew tweaking

homebrew
inspiration
hack

Hi guys, we are transferring over from The Window into ICRPG this Saturday and hoping to get this tweaked and ready to go for that game. We have played once as a group and almost all the players are 100% new to the concept of RPG’ing so malleable. While ICRPG is practically a video game on table top with pen and paper… I’m looking to move away from that vibe and more to a traditional but simple version of the earliest form of D&D where its heavier on the role playing and I think ICRPG is doing that pretty damn close. So… Below in several posts (because of text limits) are the rules. I think there are some things that can be tossed, tweaked, reduced, increased etc and hoping you experts can work with me on this. Thanks in advance.

Home brew rules

What?

Influenced heavily by The Window system by Scott Linenger and ICRPG by Brandish Gilhelm, this is my home-brew rules system. What is “home-brew”? It’s when you take existing rules and alter them for your own game or you might even construct them entirely from scratch all on your own. This is a hybrid.

Thanks a ton to Scott and Brandish for their genius.

Why?

I personally despise the rules heavy and math centric rules systems that abound but I love the role playing aspect the most. I don’t want to spend hours crunching numbers to eventually beat 5 skeletons. I would rather spend hours crossing an entire continent, meeting NPC’s (characters the GM plays) in the tavern or the stores and so on.

Back when The Window was in its first or second year I think it was, I came across it and at that time… it was the way to go for my style of GM’ing. I wanted to role play. Up until then, all my life I had been using the basic rules of D&D. I have used The Window system up until this year actually and just recently discovered ICRPG. Very cool btw. ICRPG is still a bit rules heavy for my liking but what rules the system does have… they make sense. As I read through it I started to see many similarities between these two systems and as I did… the gears started turning. I could fix some of the things I didn’t like in The Window by melding with ICRPG and vice versa. So, that said… here we go… The ICRPG WINDOW system. :wink:

How?

Character race:

Figure out what race you want to be. For an idea, here is the page on races. You will see that there are certain bonus’ available to those races. Those +X and -X numbers will be discussed further down when we get to the character sheet.

Character class:

What kind of class do you want to be? There are just so many options available. You might even want to be a hybrid of several. For example… a Rogue bard magician. You are sneaky, stealthy due to training… always been musically inclined with a great voice and while studying magic at the wizards tower, in-between classes you practiced your lute a great deal. As such… you can cast spells, sneak around like a thief does and your music can soothe, charm or possibly even inspire. Why not? If you are new to the game and don’t know what kind of classes are out there, a simple google search using key words like “D&D RPG CLASSES”. As a first timer… you have a lot of reading ahead of you. Sorry, there is just no way around it. You gotta do the leg work just like all the rest of us did. Btw… feel free to make up an entirely new class if you like but you will need to run it by your GM to see if it fits with the game they have in mind for everyone. ICRPG has some great classes available that Brandish has come up with. Check out some examples here. For more on this… just keep reading. We come back to it.

Dice:

No matter what, RPG’s are a numbers game. All of the things your character does in the game that has any kind of importance will require a dice roll. You can think of the dice as fate. Whatever the result is… that would be fate to blame because fate dictates all things right? With that assumption in mind… you need to learn what the dice are, do and how they are used in the game. Read on:

There are several types of dice, a 4 sided, 6 sided, 8 sided, 10 sided, 12 sided and lastly a 20 sided. You can get many more cool types of dice out there but for the sake of this system, these are the dice we will use.

*Note: The Window system utilizes a 30 sided dice and a "Rung" system. This will not be used but rather the ICPRG dice system in its place.

Attributes:

Your character has certain attributes which are used in this game to decide all things that can possibly come up. An attribute is a piece of data (a "statistic") that describes to what extent a fictional character in a role-playing game possesses a specific natural, in-born characteristic common to all characters in the game. That piece of data is usually an abstract number or, in some cases, a set of dice. Some games use different terms to refer to an attribute, such as statistic, (primary) characteristic or ability.

Strength - aka Body, Might, Brawn, …

A measure of how physically strong a character is. Strength often controls the maximum weight the character can carry, melee attack and/or damage, and sometimes hit points. Armour and weapons might also have a Strength requirement.

Agility - aka Dexterity, Reflexes, Quickness, …

A measure of how agile a character is. Dexterity controls attack and movement speed and accuracy, as well as evading an opponent’s attack.

Constitution - aka Stamina, Endurance, Vitality, Health …

A measure of how sturdy a character is. Constitution often influences hit points, resistances for special types of damage (poisons, illness, heat etc.) and fatigue.

Intelligence - aka Intellect, Mind, Knowledge…

A measure of a character’s problem-solving ability. Intelligence often controls a character’s ability to comprehend foreign languages and their skill in magic. In some cases, intelligence controls how many skill points the character gets at “level up”. In some games, it controls the rate at which experience points are earned, or the amount needed to level up. Under certain circumstances, this skill can also negate combat actions between players and NPC enemies. This is sometimes combined with wisdom and/or willpower.

Wisdom - describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception and intuition. While Intelligence represents one’s ability to analyze information, Wisdom represents being in tune with and aware of one’s surroundings. Wisdom is the most important ability for clerics and druids, and it is also important for paladins and rangers. If you want your character to have acute senses, put a high score in Wisdom.

Charisma - aka Presence, Charm, Social, …

A measure of a character’s social skills, and sometimes their physical appearance. Charisma generally influences prices while trading and NPC reactions. Under certain circumstances, this skill can negate combat actions between players and NPC enemies.

Luck - aka Fate, Chance, …

A measure of a character’s luck. Luck might influence anything, but mostly random items, encounters and outstanding successes/failures. In this system, everyone is born with max luck (3 points) which at any time in the game, you can “cash in” a point in order to roll again. You can roll over and over until your 3 points are spent and you now have no more luck in this lifetime if you like. This is handy in the event that the dice roll result means you die or maybe another player is dying and you try to save them but fail. Just cash in some luck, roll again and hopefully nobody dies.

*During character creation, you can "cash in" your Luck at a value of 1 luck = 2 other attribute points. Your choice on just how lucky or unlucky you want to be.

Magic - aka sorcery, witchcraft, …

Magic is the utilization of spells summoned either from your own life essence or the life essence of others (see GM for alternate rules on this concept) to influence and effect the world around you through mystical energies. The magic attribute is used to define your skill level in magic use, control of it and so forth.

*Spell burn - Magic users who can cast every turn end up being often over powered and dominate game play. One way to control that is to establish exhaustion through continued magic use. For example, every 4 turns (4 spells cast) have the player roll for mental fatigue vs Intelligence for example or perhaps just vs Magic attribute. A fail and the player loses the ability to cast a spell for 1d4 turns after which they have gained enough rest and can go at it again. If they succeed the roll… then restart the 4 turn counter.

*Spell backfire/blunder - If a critical fail is rolled on the d20 when casting or when keeping a spell active then the spell has either blundered or backfired. A blunder is less dangerous than a backfire. To establish which… roll the skull dice. Roll a skull (3 on the dice) and you blundered. Roll the shield (1 on the dice) and you backfired. A blunder can simply be losing control of the casting by losing concentration or maybe the wrong words were used or other. The result can be something mundane like fingers get shocked or get a short dizzy spell and see spots for a second. Basically lose a turn. A backfire however can be major. You can change physically, you can kill friends, you can blow up a city, and so on. The GM will consult the critical magic fumble chart and go from there.

Putting it all together:

Using the above… here are your standard tropes that most people generally use for making characters:

Barbarians are for people who enjoy combat strategy and high-adrenaline fights. They rely on instinct, pick fights and often put themselves in risky situations.

Bards are for people who love to role-play and enjoy talking their way out of problems. They’re a good class for natural-born storytellers who don’t play D&D for the combat.

Clerics are for people who love to have big goals and wield big weapons. They lean on D&D’s religion system to explore mortality and strong incentives for or against killing.

Druids are for people who love animals, enjoy resourceful, magic-based solutions to complicated questions and want to stand up for what they believe in.

Fighters are for players who enjoy experimenting with different combat styles and dealing lots of damage. Fighters are diverse—they can wield all sorts of weapons and come from all sorts of backgrounds—so they’re great for players who want to carve out their own path and not great for players who easily fall into role-playing ruts.

Monks are for players who enjoy combining magic and physical strength, fighting only when it’s worth it, following cultural traditions and coming up with full and involved backstories.

Paladins are for players who want to have lots of HP and risk themselves to selflessly protect their allies. They’re good for people who want to role-play a crusader against evil and deal with questions of morality.

Rangers are for tactically-minded players who might enjoy role-playing loners, fighting from a distance and using the game’s landscape to their advantage.

Rogues are for people who want to be the first to smell danger (i.e., sense traps), steal things, fight using precision and planning rather than brute strength and blur moral lines in role-play.

Sorcerers are for people who may want to act impulsively, wield enormous power, weave an intricate backstory and customize their character’s personality based off a list of spells.

Warlocks are for players who enjoy learning about D&D’s demons and interplanar beings, harboring secrets, and wielding great power.

Wizards are for players who enjoy appearing intelligent (not necessarily being intelligent), piecing together repertoires of spells, and offering knowledge on a variety of topics.

Which attributes to which class ideally?

Strength

Barbarian : “A fierce warrior of primitive background who can enter a battle rage.”

Fighter : “A master of martial combat, skilled with a variety of weapons and armor.”

Paladin : “A holy warrior bound to a sacred oath.”

Charisma

Bard : “An inspiring magician whose power echoes the music of creation.”

Sorcerer : “A spell caster who draws on inherent magic from a gift or bloodline.”

Paladin : “A holy warrior bound to a sacred oath.”

Warlock : “A wielder of magic that is derived from a bargain with an extra planar entity.”

Intelligence

Cleric : “A priestly champion who wields divine magic in service of a higher power.”

Druid: “A priest of the Old Faith, wielding the powers of nature—moonlight and plant growth, fire and lightning—and adopting animal forms.”

Monk : “A master of martial arts, harnessing the power of the body in pursuit of physical and spiritual perfection.”

Ranger : “A warrior who uses martial prowess and nature magic to combat threats on the edges of civilization.”

Wisdom

Wizard: “A scholarly magic-user capable of manipulating the structures of reality.”

Agility

Monk : “A master of martial arts, harnessing the power of the body in pursuit of physical and spiritual perfection.”

Fighter: “A master of martial combat, skilled with a variety of weapons and armor.”

Rogue : “A scoundrel who uses stealth and trickery to overcome obstacles and enemies.”

Ranger : “A warrior who uses martial prowess and nature magic to combat threats on the edges of civilization.”

Magic:

Just like classes mentioned at the start, there are just so many types of magic users in the RPG world. Several are mentioned above… Warlocks, Sorcerer, Wizard, Witch and more. And then there is areas of specialty such as:

Abjuration.

Conjuration.

Divination.

Enchantment.

Evocation.

Illusion.

Necromancy.

Transmutation.

*For this game… who cares! That is not so much a question but more a statement. Seriously… do you really have to only specialize in one area of magic? Like a musician… can they only pick the Blues and they are not allowed to play Folk or Rock? Ridiculous. For this game… feel free to scour the web for spells in general and pick a bunch. Discuss first with your GM just how many spells you have and the details on them. I suggest you start with max of 10 memorized spells. Scrolls and magic books can come later in the form of treasures. If your character is young, naive, perhaps not very educated yet in magic… maybe pick 6 spells. Often a character that is weaker is the most fun to play.

The MAGIC attribute is used to test if you are keeping a spell active. Roll d20 with TN set by GM. Add any bonus’ that you may have beside your magic attribute. Next roll effort.

Getting started:

On your character sheet you will see:

Strength

Agility

Intelligence

Constitution

Wisdom

Charisma

Magic

Luck

Put beside luck: 3 points.

Beside the rest… you have 8 points. Spread them out as you see fit. For example:

Strength

Agility 1

Intelligence 2

Constitution

Wisdom 1

Charisma 1

Intelligence

Sanity 1

Magic 2

Luck 3

What do these numbers mean? Stay tuned… more to come on that.

The rolls:

In the game, you will come across opportunities in which you need to roll those dreaded dice. Be it smashing a door (strength), solving a riddle (Intelligence), Making a tough choice (wisdom), Spotting a trap (perception) and more. We will use the ICRPG rules on this stuff.

All things your character will do can be referred to as "effort". The GM will choose a target number between approximately 9 and 16 with 9 being the easiest and 16 the hardest. You will use a 20 sided die to see if you accomplish the effort you are trying to do be it smashing that door, jumping over a chasm or cutting a giants leg off. You must roll higher than the target provided.

For example… TN set at 13. You roll a 12 and its an agility effort you are attempting. Lucky for you, you put "2" beside agility so your roll is actually a 14 - you succeed.

Difficulty mods to the TN: The GM might decide that while the effort is a target number of 13 for the group… for you it might be different because perhaps you are weakened or carrying more gear, etc and that the TN has a “HARD” modifier to it. Modifiers are either HARD +3 or EASY -3. This means the TN of 13 for you is actually 16. An EASY modifier would translate from 13 to a 10. This might be because you failed on the first attempt so naturally you would be better on the second attempt. Or perhaps this is just a bit easier for you due to race or size, etc. Its all speculative and at the GM’s discretion. At any time you can ask “due to my smaller stature, would this be an EASY effort for my character”? for example.

Now that you know if you succeeded in your roll (failing means try something else or roll again when it’s your turn), you need to know what happens next. On your sheet you will see EFFORT and below that:

BASIC WORK D4

WEAPON DAMAGE D6

MAGIC EFFECT D8

ULTIMATE D12

Just like your Attributes, you will put numbers beside these. Through the game you might get gear (loot as it’s called in ICRPG) which gives you some bonus’. Such as a Sword +2. Beside WEAPON DAMAGE you would put +2. Or perhaps some other kind of thing has happened which gives you a bonus. Some races have bonus’ that can be applied here potentially.

To better understand, let me explain:

BASIC WORK D4 - This is anything done with your bare hands. Lifting a rock, pushing someone over, choking a Goblin, slapping an idiot at the bar, etc. You roll the d4 for all actions related to this. Add your strength bonus to this.

*WEAPON DAMAGE D6 - This is the dice you roll for all weapons used. Sure, a giant axe will do more damage than a dagger but maybe in the right hands… not so much. Plus there is the bonus’ that can be applied. Add your strength bonus to this for bludgeoning, hacking, slashing weapons, agility bonus for hand held piercing weapons and wisdom bonus for missile weapons. If you are a monk that uses martial arts… your hands are considered deadly weapons so you would roll this dice as a result (this does not apply to a trained boxer though as they are not trained to kill but to pummel).

MAGIC EFFECT D8 - If your weapon is a magical weapon or you are using a spell, use this dice to roll results. A magic spell that levels up will just get +X modifiers added to it. For weapons… Add your strength bonus to this for bludgeoning weapons, agility bonus for hand held piercing weapons and wisdom bonus for missile weapons. and for spells, apply your Intelligence bonus to this.

ULTIMATE D12 - If at any time you roll a critical success (20) on your d20 roll, you get to roll your applicable damage die above (4,6 or 8 sided die) plus you roll the 12 sided die for damage. You also roll the skull dice.

Critical hit and the Skull dice : You will see this dice has 3 skulls on it and a shield. You only get to roll this when you roll a critical hit. Rolling a skull = +2 hp damage on top of your damage already calculated. Rolling a shield = KILL! This means you were deadly accurate (and maybe a bit lucky) and hit that sweet spot and killed the beast. It’s possible you could kill a dragon with this. Man, talk about being the talk of the town after that one!!

Critical fail: When you roll the d20… what if you roll a 1? Well… this would be a critical fail and the GM is going to have all kinds of fun with you on that one. You might trip and stab yourself. You might have your spell go awry and turn everyone into mushrooms for 10 minutes. So many bad things can happen. May the dice gods be forever in your favor. Using the skull dice, a skull = minor result. Shield = major result.

Hit points:

Continuing on with ICRPG’s brilliant dice system, we come to hit points. Hit points represent your life meter. My house rules are a bit different than ICRPG’s though, everyone starts out with a base of 50 HP’s. This number will either go up or go down based on a few factors: Racial bonus and age.

Dwarves, Half Orc’s and Goliath’s get 10 more HP’s due to overall durability. They are simply tougher.

Humans do not get any + or - bonus’ (neutral) unless they are very large or very small in which case see above or below for those numbers. Large would be over 6’6" tall and 230 lbs of muscle. Small would be 5’ or smaller and thin built. Tall but thin or short but heavy would remain at neutral.

Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Elves and Elves get 10 less due once again to overall durability. They are a bit frailer.

Age and how it affects your hit points:

A character can be classified as Young, Adult, and Elderly. See this chart below for an idea of what your character is before reading on.

Young -5 hp

Adult +10 hp

Elderly -15 hp

So, An Elderly dwarf… 50 starting, +10 due to durability = 60 but -15 for being elderly = 45 total.

You may find loot that changes this stat during the course of the game or magic can sometimes temporarily increase it as well. And then of course… divine intervention might come into play if you worship your god accordingly… they might just bestow more on you.

*Whatever your Constitution bonus is… multiply it by 3 and add that to your HP as well. ie: +2 bonus = 6 more hp.

*At any time, you can cash in HP’s and use them to apply as a bonus to damage. For example… you have 30 HP’s. You roll a d20 to cast a spell and succeed. Now you roll d8 for damage. Because this is a big monster and a pivotal point in this adventure, you cash in 25 HP’s and add that to the d8 for a total of 25+d8=? Pretty devastating I’m sure. Best hope you don’t get hurt for a day or so while you heal up.

Encumbrance:

Carrying stuff is often overlooked in many game systems and sometimes over complicated in others. In this one… let’s keep it simple. When I speak of gear, I mean stuff hung on your belt, back or in your hands. These do not include jewelry or clothing that are worn. Money will max out at 300 coins of any type and 100 gems of any size. Don’t get too hung up on this though. If you are over a hair… no biggie. The game is far too important to get hung up on this kind of minutiae. Try your best to be close to this as an overall guide.

Due to size and strength… you can carry as per this chart:

Halfling/Gnome : Carry 7 items and 7 in your bag.

Human : Average sized humans, half-elves and elves can carry 10 items on their body and 10 in their pack. If they are very large or very small they can carry either above or below amounts. Large would be over 6’6" tall and 230 lbs of muscle. Small would be 5’ or smaller and thin built. Tall but thin or short but heavy would remain at neutral.

Half-Orc, Goliath and yes… even Dwarves , can carry the most due to their strength (and stubborn-ness when it comes to Dwarves) which is 15 on their body and 15 in their pack.

*Whatever your Strength bonus is, multiply it by 3 and you can carry that much more items in your pack only. ie: +2 bonus = 6 more items. Also add your Constitution bonus x2 to this as well .

Death:

I simply adore the death concept from ICRPG. It’s simple… when you reach 0 hp… you tell everyone “I’m dying man” and roll a d6. Put on your sheet the result. If you rolled a 3… you have 3 turns to roll a 20 on d20 (in which case you pop up with 1 hp or 3 turns for the players to heal you in some way. If they simply apply pressure and stop the bleeding… you drop every 2nd turn instead.

If the hit you received took you below 0 beyond -10… you are dead dead. Like… really dead. I mean… no first aid in the world can make you not be dead. That’s how dead you are. But… even worse than that would be if you took more than -20 dmg. This would indicate there isn’t much left of you to bring back. Parts of you are everywhere or maybe you are flattened to liquid. At this point, all you got is some shovelling to do or building a funeral pyre. Get out the tissues and do the crying. Oh, and quickly roll up a new character and get back in the game.

Resurrection: Being that we are playing in the fantastical world of high fantasy… sure, you can be brought back from the dead but in my world… things aren’t so black and white. For every day your character is dead while the team is trying to find someone to resurrect you (a very rare and pricey talent), when you come back you will have 1 less wisdom (into the negatives) and 5 less HP on your maximum capacity. This is due to a day above ground as a living person is like 1 yr in the afterlife where things are a bit different to say the least. Upon your return… you won’t quite be the same due to your experience of being dead. You will not remember the afterlife though.

Healing:

*Taken (nearly verbatim) from the ICRPG rule book:

RECOVERY is when you use a turn to stop everything you’re doing and just breathe. Tear a piece of your tunic as a wrap, spit out a tooth, or splash cold water in your face. Depending on the time frame you’re in, the outcomes are slightly different. This is your chance to rest! Know these rules well!

IN MERE MOMENTS : In combat time, you have the slimmest chance of RECOVERY. There is no safety and only seconds to spare. If you spend a combat turn in RECOVERY, meet or beat the current TARGET with a CON roll to recover 1 Hit Point. Yes, 1. Add your CON bonus and RECOVER the total. Here’s where the CON STAT shines.

IN HOURS : When between battles, but ONLY IN COMPLETE SAFETY, use one turn to recover 10 hp. No roll. The concept of ‘safety’ is crucial here. Is the wet, dank corner of a dungeon ‘safe?’ Only the story will tell. If between battles but not safe, a sacrificed turn earns 5 Hit Points + CON bonus, with no roll. This sacrifice of a TURN may seem to have little effect, but in continuous time every Hit Point is precious.

IN DAYS : If spending days of time in complete safety, recover all HP’s with no roll, no problem. If your ordeal was bad enough, the GM may choose to blight you with an injury or terrible scar. That is a different story altogether. Be prepared to play with a limp or learn to use a sword with your left hand because the right one is long gone. Maybe you lost an eye so your perception will be hindered. This kind of stuff is gold for role playing. Embrace it!

Heart Stones:
Using the “Heart” concept by ICRPG, I have implemented the idea of “heart stones”. These are rare (very rare) red gems that are carved into the shape of a heart (picked up 10 of them at the bead store - I suggest you visit one soon. So much goodies!). In the game, during special occasions - a player may find a heart stone. They can either save this stone which is a magical gem about the size of a finger nail (literally) that when swallowed, activates and bestows an immediate heal of 10 hp’s. The pc gives me back the gem and we call it a day. The beauty of this is that the PC might want to give that stone to another player which they can. They might even want to trade. You cannot purchase a heart stone and to sell one will net you a fine treasure of gold if the buyer can afford it. Careful… they might want it but cannot afford it so come after you later to get it without paying. These things are that valuable!

Movement:

If using figurines (which we may)… use the following guide:

You are either CLOSE, NEAR or FAR . Close means within arms reach. Near is about 35 feet away (imagine a banana on the table for a ruler) and far is about 50 feet away. You can hit with a bow from 50 ft but nothing else. From 35 feet… any missile weapon.

Weapons:

Quality will define how much punishment the item can withstand so rate your weapon (or the GM will) between 1 and 4 with 4 being the best your local weapon smith can make.

Next comes magically imbued weapons. These will be the 4 (above) plus a rating based on the imbue-ment (GM will indicate) within 1 to 10 so possibly you can have a weapon that is +14 quality. This is the damage it will do, not the chance of hitting a target. Crazy damage right there!

And then there is godlike weapons. These are rare and bestowed by… well, god like beings (like the GM lol) and these can be as much as +20 damage possibly.

Armour

Rather than get really nit-picky with varying numbers for the many types of armor… how about three types… light protection, medium protection and heavy protection ? With light you can move quieter and faster, with heavy you are noisy and low stealth. Pro’s and con’s.

Putting on any kind of makeshift armor starts you at a base of +10 protection even if its bark held together with zip ties.

Quality (like weapons) will be between 1 and 4 with 4 being master crafted.

Magically enhanced will be another 1 to 10 points on top so armor of +14 right there and just like weapons… can reach a max of +20 if you get the really really really good stuff somehow.

The downside to armor : If you wear light, stealth is -1 on a stealth check, medium is -2 on a stealth check and heavy is a -3 on stealth checks. The same numbers apply to any attempts to swim or anything else that might be affected by wearing armor in the game. Bottom line… protection from damage, not good for other stuff.

That about covers it. For now.

Here is a character sheet to get to work on:

RACES

Half-elf

Lifespan
Over 180 years

Mature At
20 years

Height
4’9"

Weight
110 lbs

Half-elf Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma related rolls have a bonus of 2, and two other attribute bonus scores of your choice increases by +1

Speed: 30 feet per turn

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. +2 on all dark vision checks

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep. Roll EASY on checks (-3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and one extra language of your choice.

+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks: A half-elf does not have the elf’s ability to notice secret doors simply by passing near them. Half-elves have keen senses, but not as keen as those of an elf. Roll EASY (-3)on related checks to detect hidden.

+2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks: Half-elves get along naturally with all people.

Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Half-elves have all the versatility and broad (if shallow) experience that humans have.

Wood Elf Heritage: Choose one of:

-Fleet of Foot- You run nimbly, able to turn corners without losing momentum. When running or charging, you can make a single direction change of 90 degrees or less. You can’t use this feat in medium or heavy armor, or if you’re carrying a medium or heavier load. Use this to dodge then gain attack bonus every time (basically a bonus attack/turn). Each time they attack, you attack back plus you get your normal turn.

-Mask of the Wild ( +3 bonus to sneaking), Tracking +2.

High Elf Heritage: Specialized in one particular weapon. +3 on attempt rolls at EASY TN.

Drow Heritage: You have the drow races Drow Magic rather than any other type. Vision in total dark is at EASY TN and +3 bonus to attempts while in total dark.

Aquatic Heritage: You have a swimming speed of 30 feet and can hold breathe for up to 10 minutes. +3 bonus at EASY TN for all attempts while in water.

Goliath

Lifespan
Less than a century

Mature At
Late teens

Height
6’6"+

Weight
200+ lbs.

Goliath Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score receives bonus of+3 and EASY TN on strength attempts, and your Health score increases by +1

Speed: 30 feet.

Stone’s Endurance: When you take any damage, you can use your natural reaction skill to roll an instant attack back plus you still get your normal turn.

Powerful Build: You also naturally intimidate at a +3 bonus to related rolls. Performing in cramped spaces however you roll all relate-able rolls at a HARD (+3) TN always.

Mountain Born: You’re acclimated to high altitude and cold climates so do not feel cold as much and can breathe fine in thinner air.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.

Knowledge is limited due to heritage of growing up in clans away from civilization in general. Knowledge is not something considered important to Goliath’s, survival is. Gain a +2 bonus on all survival related skills such as shelter building, fire starting, fishing, hunting, tracking and roll at an EASY TN.

Fighting. Due to size, strength and a lifetime of training to do battle, can wield only large weapons with any true skill. +3 bonus on damage rolls and defend related rolls when in combat while using a large weapon (such as long sword or great axe).

Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 health but not killed outright, you can enter a battle rage one last time before you pass out. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest or have been healed. After you pass out, roll 1d6 to see how much time you have left before dead.

Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll the weapon’s damage one additional time thus allowing double damage. You also roll the d12 ultra dmg dice and you still get to roll the death dice to see if you score an instant kill.

Battle Rage: Once per day, you can get totally amped up and enter into a battle rage on purpose. All damage done is double. After raging, you need several hours (1d6) to recover – sleep and will fall asleep within 1d4 turns.

Dwarf

Lifespan
350 years

Physically Mature At
Late teens

Mentally Mature At
50 years

Height
Between 4’ to 5’
Hill: 3’8"+
Mountain: 4’+

Weight
About 150+ lbs.
Hill: 115+ lbs.

Mountain: 130+ lbs.

Dwarf Traits

Dwarven toughness: Your Health receives a +4 bonus

Speed: 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. +2 on all dark vision checks

Dwarven Combat Training: You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer allowing a natural +2 bonus on related attempt rolls and at EASY TN.

Tool Proficiency: You gain proficiency with a +1 on related rolls with one (choose one) of smith’s tools, brewer’s supplies, or mason’s tools.

Stonecunning: Whenever you make a History check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and gain a +2 bonus to the check using Intelligence Attribute at EASY TN.

Not very charming. -2 on charisma related rolls.

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison: Dwarves are hardy and resistant to toxins

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects: dwarves have an innate resistance to magic spells.

+1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears): Dwarves are trained in the special combat techniques that allow them to fight their common enemies more effectively. Roll at EASY TN

+4 dodge bonus against monsters of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants): This bonus represents special training that dwarves undergo, during which they learn tricks that previous generations developed in their battles with giants. Monsters roll at HARD while Dwarves roll at EASY TN’s.

+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items: Dwarves are familiar with valuable items of all kinds, especially those made of stone or metal.

+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal: Dwarves are especially capable with stonework and metalwork.

Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc. Dwarves are familiar with the languages of their enemies and of their subterranean allies.

Favored Class: Fighter. Dwarven culture extols the virtues of battle, and the vocation comes easily to dwarves.

Elf

Lifespan
750 years

Physically Mature At
Late teens

Mentally Mature At
100 years

Height
Under 5’ to over 6’
High, Wood: 4’6"
Drow: 4’5"
Eladrin: 4’6"
Sea: 4’6"

Weight Slender
High, 125+ lbs
Wood: 100 + lbs
Drow: 75 + lbs

Elf Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Agility score increases by 2 rungs.

Keen Senses: You have proficiency in Wisdom with a +2 bonus on related rolls.

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saves (+2 bonus) against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Trance: Elves meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 2 - 4 hours a day in place of sleeping. You gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep. Full healing that takes other races a day, take only half a day for elves. Double speed healing when doing this.

+4 Agility: Elves are graceful but frail. An elf’s grace makes her naturally better at stealth, throwing weapons and archery. Roll physical agility checks at EASY TN

Low-light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. +3 bonus to rolls and at EASY TN.

Weapon Proficiency: Elves (not wood Elves) receive the Martial Weapon training for the long sword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and short bow (including composite short bow) as part of their upbringing. Elves esteem the arts of swordplay and archery, so all elves are familiar with these weapons. Wood elves specialize in spear, staff, short knives and short bow. +1 when using these and roll at EASY TN.

Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan. Elves commonly know the languages of their enemies and of their friends, as well as Draconic, the language commonly found in ancient tomes of secret knowledge.

Gnome

Lifespan
350 to 500 years

Mature At
40 years

Height
2’11"

Weight
35 + lbs.

Gnome Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score gains a natural +2 bonus

Speed: 25 feet.

+1 Health bonus

-1 Strength: Like dwarves, gnomes are tough, but they are small and therefore not as strong as larger humanoids.

Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus on defense related rolls during combat, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he/she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character. -1 on all damage rolls due to small size of weapon and power behind the stroke.

Gnome base land speed is 20 feet. 35 feet in cramped spaces.

Low-light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. +3 bonus to rolls and at EASY TN.

Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers just like a small axe or short sword etc when it comes to skill with them and gain a +2 attempt bonus due to specialization. They are not skilled in the use of any other weapons and take a -1 attempt penalty when using.

+2 for all saving throws against illusion spells. Their innate familiarity with these effects make their illusions more difficult to see through. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.

+3 racial bonus on attack attempt rolls at EASY TN against kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears): Gnomes battle these creatures frequently and practice special techniques for fighting them.

+3 dodge rolls (agility) against monsters of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants): This bonus represents special training that gnomes undergo, during which they learn tricks that previous generations developed in their battles with giants.

+2 racial bonus on Listen checks: Gnomes have keen ears.

+2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks: A gnomes sensitive nose allows him to monitor alchemical processes by smell.

Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome.

Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. Gnomes deal more with elves and dwarves than elves and dwarves deal with one another, and they learn the languages of their enemies (kobolds, giants, goblins, and orcs) as well. In addition, a gnome can use speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below). This ability is innate to gnomes. See the speak with animals spell description

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score with +4 bonus also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, throw voice.

Favored Class: Bard.

Half-orc

Lifespan
75 years

Mature At
14 years

Height
6’2”+

Weight
220lbs +

Half-orc Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength related rolls gain +1, and your Health related rolls gain +1 due to power and durability.

Durable: The elements have only partial effect on your body due to thicker skin +1 to related bonus’

Menacing: You gain proficiency in Intimidation with a +4 bonus to related rolls at EASY TN.

Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 health but not killed outright, you can enter a battle rage one last time before you pass out. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest or have been healed. After you pass out, roll 1d6 to see how much time you have left before dead.

Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll the weapon’s damage one additional time thus allowing double damage. You also roll the d12 ultra dmg dice and you still get to roll the death dice to see if you score an instant kill.

Battle Rage: Once per day, you can get totally amped up and enter into a battle rage on purpose. All damage done is double. After raging, you need several hours (1d6) to recover – sleep and will fall asleep within 1d4 turns.

Bonus +2 on attempt rolls when battling another Orc due to a better understanding of that race and its weakness’

Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal. Smart half-orcs (who are rare) may know the languages of their allies or rivals.

Halfling

Lifespan
One and a half centuries

Mature At

Height
2’7"+

Weight
35 + lbs.

Halfling Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Agility score increases by +2 and you gain a +2 bonus on any stealth related rolls.

Speed: 25 feet.

Lucky: When you roll a total fail on any roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can re-roll the die and must use the new roll regardless of result. (ie: you are rolling D8 and roll an 8)

Brave: You have advantage of +2 bonus on saving throws against being frightened.

Halfling Nimbleness: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size just larger than yours at double speed.

Stout Resilience: You have advantage +1 bonus on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance against poison damage - +1 bonus.

Sneak and hide. Due to size, natural ability to hide from predators and training you gain +3 bonus to sneaking and hide related rolls at EASY TN. +4 bonus vs any giant sized creatures on agility related rolls during melee at EASY TN while the giant sized creatures roll at HARD.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Halfling.

Human

Lifespan
Less than a century

Mature At
Late teens

Height
4’8"+

Weight
110 + lbs.

Human Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your trait scores each increase by +1 on each at character startup due to human resilience

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice.

Focus:You can specialize in a particular area (field or trade) by increasing 2 attributes(related to that specialization) by +2 (or one trait by +4) and roll at EASY TN for them always.

Dude, you guys are going to have a blast! :raised_hands: Nice rules hack, man. :blush::+1:

I asked for the system in another topic and then found it. Love it!!

I am going to test it the next week.

I use something similar but Will instead of Luck and don´t have Magic as atribute.

Did you know where i could find the windows system? I looked over internet but didnt find it.

Thanks again!

www.mimgames.com was the address but I can’t connect. It might be down or closed maybe?

Your ruleset sounds really cool. You wouldn’t happen to have it in a more “digestible” format? The forums are great, but sometimes it’s tough to read long form posts.

Sorry no, I don’t. I have however done about 5 more versions of it. I have that latest one in PDF. I figure its about 85% of a completed system but not planning on going back to it just yet. My focus lately has been on solo play and creating a system for that.