Fail Forward?

Yes, that is also a good way to ratchet the tension.

Could you unpack “dynamic GM?”

I would treat Fail-Forwards as a Devil’s Bargain. If a player fails to make the roll, a GM can offer success in exchange for a negative consequence.

If a Warrior fails to hit the Goblin, then you can offer a successful strike for:

• taking automatic damage from the Goblin. He must has struck under your swing.
  • Your weapon becoming locked with your opponent or embedded in the body. You have to spend a turn to dislodge it.
  • your weapon is broken or dropped. Use an action to pick it up.
  • You become overextended and unbalanced. All attacks on you are EASY for the next turn.

If a Wizard fails to cast a spell, the GM can say:

• A voice whispers, offering to complete the spell for a price.
  • the spell has an additional wild effect.
  • the spell saps you of energy. Lose your next turn.

A Rogue can’t roll to pick a lock. The GM says it becomes unlocked, but:

• A trap goes off and gas begins filling the room.
  • you take too long and the Timer counts down instantly to zero.
  • you make too much noise and you lose surprise in the next room.

These are just a few examples, but a GM could probably improvise based on the situation.

Sorry, I did not address your idea in my post, guess I was tired from my night shift! XP

It’s a good idea, I’d do it like @Ravaan says: it’s more of a deal you offer to the failing player. If you don’t want the player to roll but you do want to decide if they succeed or not, use passive scores. For example:

Lockpicking skill modifier + 10

As for what I am, a dynamic GM, is that I follow the core gameplay loop tightly: I describe the situation, my players tell me what they want to do, I decide the DC if needed then ask them to roll the dice, then I get back to describing and the game goes on and on that way. I hook my players often, especially in fights, and at the beginning of any new situation. That’s how the AngryGM described it, and that’s how I roll. In a way, that’s how Runehammer does it, too. With a lot more dice rolling. I’m more old-school, my players must fear the dice! :smiling_imp:

Another way to go? (I’m sure this is a canon alternate rule from ICRPG that I’ve read in one of the books already but I can’t remember where) Every time you miss you build a RAGE meter. Your frustration and anger builds until when you finally connect, you vent all your fury and humilation into a much more powerful hit. Maybe an extra Ultimate damage per 2 points of Fury spent?

So like you’re scrabbling around in a dark sewer getting sneak attacked by hit and run tactics, swiping at shadows that skitter away. Finally you end up cornering one of the foul mutated things and are able to hit–you just explode it in a visceral and satisfying way.

Going through this thread there are a lot of great ideas to try. This idea of a rage or fury dice that you brought up goes nicely with the dog pile dice mechanic already in ICRPG. I’d probably give them the benefit of the dog pile dice (lowering the target number until they hit) but for every two points on the six sided dog pile dice they get an extra 1d4 on their hit (instead of ultimate).

I imagine that would bring a great sense of catharsis after missing five times in a row. Every session I seem to have one player rolling like crap even with the bonus of the dog pile dice.

This could still be used in the idea that you have learned from your previous failings and are using that new knowledge (and rage) to open a can of butt-kicking.