After rabble rousing and playing a bit of EZD6 I’m even more in love with this ruleset. As I recently also bought “The Mecha Hack” I was instantly in love with the idea to run a Mecha vs Kaiju game with EZD6 mechanics as I think the Karma mechanic is perfectly suited for Mecha combat. So below you can find my adaption of the great Mecha Hack to EZD6
Merge the great work done in “The Mecha Hack” with the awesome EZD6 mechanics for a fun fast mecha mayhem!
Same as in book, roll 1D6 for a basic test, +1D6 for boon etc. Karma points are called reactor points for flavor. You can overclock once to trade one strike for +3 reactor dice (maybe this should be a mecha class specific trait). The game is meant to be played in turn order throughout the game. Each turn consists of two actions. An action is either a move, attack, a usage of a pilot action, using a reactor module or a consumable.
Choose a pilot that fits your idea of a character concept and then choose a chassis.
Each pilot comes with specific boons as well as a unique action he can take as part of his turn.
- start with +2 reactor points
- boon on anything presence/character strength related
- Command: Ask one ally to do a short action in your turn (just shoot or move or cast)
- One additional reactor module
- quick fix: heal one strike on a near ally
- make all saves with a boon,
- boon on melee or ranged attack (choose one)
- Charge in shooting: Shoot while running with bane
- Gut Instinct / danger sense (boon on noticing stuff)
- Inspiring Speech: Give an ally a boon in one category in the next turn
- Teamplayer: Allys may use reactor dice to manipulate RR rolls
Brawler: The brawler is a fast moving, chassis with a combat focused loadout. It carries a shield and power weapon as well as medium ranged weapon
- Armor save: 5+ (4+ with shield, where it makes sense) Miracolous save: 5+
- Built for combat: On a charge it will attack with two d6
- 2 Module slots
Scout: Light, fast, stealthy equipped with ranged and melee weapon
- Armor save: 6+/ Miracolus save 6+ roll with boon (stacks with maverick)
- Ambush: Surprise attack roll 2d6, inflict 2 strikes
- Stealth mode: Use an action and make a stealth check against room resistance to become hidden with 2d6, rerolling 1s (like EZD6 scrolls)
- 1 Module slot
Striker: Striker, your jack of all trades combat/support mecha. Equipped with ranged and melee weapons
- Armor save: 5+ Miracolous save: 5+
- 3 Module slots
- Power Bank: Share own reactor points with close allys
- Heavy lifter: Boon on all strength related tasks
Titan: Big,slow, hard hitting, no melee weapons
- Armor save: 4+ Miracolous save: 5+
- 3 Module slots
- Big Boy: Bane on all mobility / stealth related checks
- BFG: Ranged attacks crit on a 5+, attack with 2d6
- Siege Mode: you can enter siege mode as an action, attack twice but not allowed to move until you exit siege mode. Bane on Miracolous saves, all enemies have a boon targeting you. Armor save goes up to 3+
Reactor modules are mechanically working similar as Magick in EZD6. You can choose a power level. Each 1 will give you a heat point. This can’t be modified by Karma/reactor points. If you amass 3 heat you’re overheated. You get a bane on all actions until you take a turn to recover or take a strike to override the heat management. After recovery your heat points are gone.
Reactor modules needs to be activated either against room resistance or against enemy resistance. Similar as Magick
- Chest Beam: On a successful test, 1 enemy takes a hit and is pushed back far. If it hit’s an obstacle it will take a strike.
- Grappler: Contested power test with enemy, if successful enemy is pulled in close and takes one strike. Can also be used as a grappling hook if cast against room resistance.
- Quake Generator: Close objects/enemies are pushed to near. If against a wall take one strike
- Lock on: All allys have a boon on attacking the targeted mecha/enemy
- Particle Barrier: Generate a physical barrier that can’t be penetrated within close of you. Big enough for 2 Mechas to take cover
- Exothermic Shielding: The next time you take melee damage the enemy mecha takes one strike
- Booster: do a doulbe move far on success
- Jump Pack: Make a far jump on success
Take one action to use
- Booster: regain 3 reactor points
- Sensor Jammer: Instantly become hidden until your next round
- Repair Kit: Regain one strike for yourself or a friendly mecha in close distance
- Scouting drone: Lasts one minute is hard to hit but automatically destroyed on a strike. You may preceive through the drone same as through your Mecha.
- HE Ammo: When equipped you crit on a 5+ for ranged attacks until the next failed attack