Doors in XDZ

xdz

I am having fun figuring out the (GM-less) rules and being killed. However I have some questions around doors. The rules say that any locations that touch/are adjacent are attached with a door.

Q1: do doors start open or closed?

Q2: do opening or closing doors take SYSTEM rolls? Sub-question - do opening and closing doors consume the action in the commando “move/action” round?

Q3: can commandos walk through closed doors (thematically the doors could open because it recognizes humans/human transmitters in the commando suits or some such gadgetry/technology)?

Q4: the rules mention that opening and closing doors helps with controlling xeno movement, which leads me to think that xenos cannot move through closed doors?

Sorry for all the questions. I come from boardgame playing background so explicit rules make more sense to my brain :stuck_out_tongue:

Thx!

yeah, Runehammer doesn’t really delve in explicit rules, certainly not to any level approaching the specificity of boardgames. Assuming you’ve read the rules provided in XDZ there really isn’t a correct way of playing, it’s basically do what you feel is best.

For my completely subjective take on the questions at hand:

Q1: closed, but if you enjoy rolling maybe roll a d6 on entry to a new room and on a one, one/some/all of the doors are open.

Q2/Q3 In my head i think pushing a button to open a door seems in consequential enough to not be an action but that someone needs to open and close them. but depending on the facility they might auto open and close. that will be up to you and how much detail you want to involve in your game.

Q4: I would suggest yes they cannot move through closed doors. though if using a threat/timer die ala standard ICRPG then perhaps xenos coudl break through a door or burst through a vent.

Apologies it took three days for someone to reply. i don’t think many use XDZ in boardgame mode, and frankly that isn’t surprising seeing as the rules doesn’t really exist for it.

Thx Abodi, I gathered not many play it board game style, but I thought I would give it a go. Thanks for your thoughts.

and did you give it a go, how did you find it?

What with Christmas and all I haven’t gotten round to it again.