DM screen alternatives

I know @Runehammer is typically against the idea of DM screens so I was wondering what alternatives some of the shield wall has come up with.

I’m sure some don’t use anything at all, but I kinda like to keep my notes/minis hidden. I do agree that the degree of separation that comes from using a full DM screen kinda sucks though.

I ran a game this past weekend for my daughter and 9 of her friends for her birthday an I used a small wooden desk organizer as my “DM control center”. It’s about 7x9, maybe 6 inches tall, has a small drawer you could stash some index cards and dice in, it’s got a small shelf that’s raised about the main part that I used to hold my TN card display and my Timer display. I’ll try and post a picture of it later tonight after I get home from work. I like it, but I wish it was a little longer. I might pick up a second one or build a bigger version down the road.

Anyway, what are some of your ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

I use a dice box, that is actually a wooden dagger case…

As I use a ceiling mounted projector pointed down at my table to display my encounter areas, I tend to keep my PC monitor as my GM screen.

@Runehammer love those skull dice.

I have to say, the small DM screen over at the Arcane Library is wonderful. The part I like about it the most is the NPC name tables that can really help you in the moment.

The dagger is strapped to his calf.

For those “dicey” situations…

Ok…ok, terrible pun.

I also like some mystery (I like props and I have a damascus dagger, so first time player always get to see it) and I found something that work for me : I put a GM screen on half my part of the table, letting the other open so I’m mostly there and the screen is really just to hide what needs to be hidden.

Not a direct answer, but you can also GM partly standing up. This way, you have your hidden stash when sitting and you are free to move and communicate when standing. I like this when I describe terrains or encounter in TotM fashion or when using Index Cards but adding details. I also do some martial arts so I flex when I can haha

You can combine both, having your part of the table split into 2 (hidden and revealed) and standing a lot. It can help to set the mood for horror or scary bits. I use a lot of psycho/bandits inspired by Borderlands 2 who will tell you stuff like “I want to eat your baby!” or “You’ll be my meat bicycle!”, so closing distance with a player ears or stuff like that can really tense them up in a good way.

i use a notion based set of tables to run the game off a tablet, its more fun when i can see my players

Yes! I ended up running out game this weekend standing up in large part because we had a big table (to seat 10 kids) and it was hard to direct things and make good eye contact from a seated position.

I feel like a lot of discussion about screens assume that people throw behind them. I use a DM screen, but I don’t roll dice behind the screen except when it’s something for me specifically (like a random table or generator).

It’s just where I keep the stuff I don’t want out in the open. I also pace around a lot when I DM.

I’ve used two Ruby Tuesday specials-stands wired together as my DM screen for years, but I’ve recently purchased a big one from AliExpress.I haven’t given it a spin yet, it’s a little bigger than I expected.

Here’s the picture of the “organizer” I used over the weekend.

I may try to attach some sort of clip to the front to hold the target number display, but I’ll have to play around with it a bit more.

I think it’s fair to say that the Runehammer
Community is less anti-screen and more anti-rolling-in-secret. You can have a screen, but please roll in the open.

I don’t want to unearth a can of worms regarding fudging dice rolls, but to me, that practice literally robs the whole table of the one factor that makes a game a game: outcomes determined by chance.

When those dice tumble onto a result, and the whole table either groans or cheers, it’s the most powerful shared experience we have.

One of the dads at the game we had this weekend was kinda shocked that not only do I roll in the open, but I had the Target Number on display! He made the comment after the game (after the first encounter had 15 turns without hits) that if the “DC” wasn’t known, I could have just started calling the misses hits. I told him I thought that cheapened the game.

I went so far after all of those failed rolls that I had the “teacher” NPC to do an attack roll to “show the party how it’s done”… he/I rolled a 1!

I recently repurposed the small metal case my dremel tool game in to a portable GM kit for ICRPG. Once my cards, dice, etc are out it doubles as a dice box for secret rolls. The lid is held up by a line of ribbon, serving as a tiny DM screen and I plan on gluing a small reference sheet full of useful tables inside. I like utility of a DM screen, but don’t like to be separated from the players, so this has proven to be the best of both worlds

I don’t subscribe to the modern anti-DM screen zeitgeist. I’m rocking it old school and took my useless 5E DM’s Screen which has a lower profile than ones we had back in the 80’s, and covered it with my favorite D&D artwork from the early days. Here’s what it looks like.

Looks awesome, I love it!

Looks pretty cool, I think if I had one that size though I’d want to split it in half and have it open in the middle… like two L shaped screens open in the middle.

Funny timing! Just recently I finished my DIY “GM Folder” as a more portable and less intrusive alternative to the DM screen. Some features:

• Enough secrecy for my notebook, an A4 map, secret GM rolls, etc. when I need it.
  • Can be opened with one hand or propped open as in the photo.
  • Folds away quickly when I don’t need the secrecy (most of the time) or when the pizza arrives.
  • Works on very small tables like couch/coffee tables or even on my lap.
  • When closed, it provides a nice flat, stable, horizontal surface in front of me where I can make open rolls, open a book, put a tablet, etc.

I’m still planning to install a tiny LED light inside for low light situations.

Note: The sides look quite transparent in the bright light where I took the pictures but you really cannot make out anything through them at the table.

I ended up buying a second, albeit different size/shape, desk organizer to complement the first one. Both have drawers and “storage slots” but the new one has a full top shelf. When I saw it I was reminded of the roll boxes @Runehammer had videos for on YouTube.