Custom class, War Veteran, Pirate

EDIT: I am attaching a Google Doc of my custom classes, which now includes my first shot at a Pirate very much informed by Jack Sparrow.

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q0Axy1dWmu_jFfm9g-RDe5GB4TDvbQmpK4QfsNo-UqA/edit?usp=sharing

OP:
Here is my first attempt at writing a custom class. I am writing an adventure for my family in which the party is captured by slavers. They have opportunities to befriend other captured souls and free them. I am hoping to add Pirate, a kind of Shaolin Monk analogue, and Gladiator classes.

Let me know what you think. I was trying to create a tactical class that is part buff, part crowd control, part tank. Something like Rambo or Jason Bourne. I think “Hardened Soldier,” “Soldier’s Accolades,” and “Know No Fear” need some tinkering.

War Veteran

Starting Ability (Choose 1)
BUSHCRAFT: You are never lost. With what’s around you, you can build a fire and create complex traps for game and damaging foes

NATURAL LEADER: With a WIS roll, reduce allies’ TARGET by 2 for 1d4 ROUNDS

HARDENED SOLDIER: The first time an enemy deals you damage, roll CON to ignore half damage rounded up

Starting Loot (Choose 1)
CAMO CLOAK: Spend an ACTION to hide without a stealth roll

SOLDIER’S ACCOLADES: You have a medal, chain, ring, or cap that grants +1 CHA, +1 WIS

FAVORED WEAPON: Choose a BASIC LOOT weapon type and gain it. Weapons you wield of that type gain a +2 EFFORT bonus.

Milestone Abilities (Choose 1 when awarded by GM)
EVER STRONGER: Add 1 to any STAT or add a new weapon type to your favored weapon list

COVERT OPERATIVE: Use a TURN to study your enemy. Your next successful hit deals max damage

GUERILLA TACTICS: If you or your traps deal damage while in stealth, you may make a free ATTACK

FIELD SURGEON: With what you have on you, use an ACTION to apply first aid (BASIC EFFORT)

STRATEGIST: On a WIS roll, grant 1 ally a critical hit next roll

THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD: Once per ROUND, the first time an ally takes damage in an encounter, make a free attack

KNOW NO FEAR: If you or your party are outnumbered, you may add your WIS to all ATTEMPT rolls

Mastery
BUSHCRAFT: Your traps are undetectable and they deal ULTIMATE EFFORT

NATURAL LEADER: Once per ROUND, give an ally a free ACTION on your TURN

HARDENED SOLDIER: Whenever a creature dies in line of sight, make an attack

Hardened soldier

It looks really good! The issue with Hardened Soldier is that you have to track who dealt damage to you ever since the start of an action scene. Why not tie it to the timer instead?

• Hardened soldier: as long as the timer is at 1… ignore half damaged rounded up, or roll CON to ignore damage from every weapon source, or roll CON against the target and on a success ignore half damage until the end of the round?

Also, Hardened solider is a Starting ability AND a Mastery ability and that is quite confusing!

For the second Hardened soldier, what IS line of sight in ICRPG? Instead, make it NEAR and I think that it will be easier for everybody to know when that ability can be called for.

Know no fear

Know no fear should be a Mastery ability in my opinion. It is strong but not OP IMO.

Otherwise it looks good! What do you think?

I still like the HARDENED SOLDIER mechanic. I want it to mimic the idea of someone unfazed by violence or pressure. The timer idea is a good suggestion, but I will need to keep thinking and see what my players/family find fun.

If you read the player’s guide, Mastery Abilities ARE the Starting Abilities, just maxed out.

I am writing a second draft.

War Veteran, second draft

BUSHCRAFT: You are never lost. With what’s around you, you can build a fire and create complex traps for game and damaging foes
THAT’S AN ORDER: With a WIS roll, reduce allies’ TARGET by 2 for 1d4 ROUNDS
HARDENED SOLDIER: The first time an enemy deals you damage, roll CON to ignore half damage rounded up

Starting Loot (Choose 1)
CAMO CLOAK: Use an ACTION to hide without a stealth roll
SOLDIER’S ACCOLADES: You have a medal, chain, ring, or cap. Your orders grant each ally a D8 boost to any 1 roll
FAVORED WEAPON: Choose a BASIC LOOT weapon type and gain it. Weapons you wield of that type gain a +2 EFFORT bonus.

EVER STRONGER: Add 1 to any STAT or add a new weapon type to your favored weapon list
COVERT OPERATIVE: Use a TURN to study your enemy. Your next successful hit deals max damage
GUERILLA TACTICS: If you or your traps deal damage while in stealth, you may make a free ATTACK
FIELD SURGEON: With what you have on you, use an ACTION to apply first aid (BASIC EFFORT)
STRATEGIST: On a WIS roll, grant 1 ally a critical hit next roll
THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD: Once per ROUND, the first time an ally takes damage in an encounter, make a free attack
KNOW NO FEAR: If you or your party are outnumbered, modified rolls 15+ give you maximum EFFORT

Mastery
BUSHCRAFT: Your traps are undetectable and they deal ULTIMATE EFFORT
THAT’S AN ORDER: Once per ROUND, give an ally a free ACTION on your TURN
HARDENED SOLDIER: Whenever a creature dies in line of sight, make an attack

Buccaneer (Pirate)

GAMBLER: You can reroll LOOT, including gold
ANIMAL HANDLER: You have an exotic pet companion with 1 ACTION on your turn
CORSAIR’S BLESSING: Roll CHA to grant each ally a D6 to any 1 roll

Starting Loot (Choose 1)
SMUGGLER’S PURSE: 2 inventory spaces perfectly hidden. Whatever’s inside cannot be lost or stolen.
GRAPPLING HOOK: Rolls made with this are EASY. Can be used for climbing and pulling others and objects to you
DOUBLE-BARRELLED FLINTLOCK PISTOL: 2 shots. 1 ROUND to reload. Check with GM about keeping track of ammo

EVER STRONGER: Add 1 to any STAT or gain 1d4 100 gold
TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE: You always know when someone is lying.* If you expose a cheat or a liar, your next roll is a critical hit
CAROUSER: If you are intoxicated, add your CHA to CHECKS and ATTEMPTS
BOURGEOIS DRESS: High-society coat, +1 CHA. People want you at social events
ACTUALLY I’M A PRIVATEER: Whenever you steal or roll for LOOT, do it again
I AM NOT LEFT-HANDED: DEX rolls involving or near water or heights are EASY
BLOODY BRIGAND: When you deal 5 or more damage in one hit to a CLOSE enemy, steal 1 piece of LOOT at random

Mastery
GAMBLER: When rolling LOOT, you can roll thrice and pick one.
ANIMAL HANDLER: On a successful DEX roll, deploy your pet companion for 1d4 rounds. For this many TURNS it will deal WEAPON damage every time you or an ally attacks
CORSAIR’S BLESSING: Add your CHA to DEF

*or perhaps something like: Insight (against deception) is EASY